Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files I have recently started using windows 10 and have found many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sabrina Torraunt, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files

Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files

I have recently started using windows 10 and have found many solutions to issues except this one.

I have an image folder with many BMP image files in it. Apparently, Windows 10 is (without my choice or options) creating small separate copy images of every bmp file. They are also images and copies but are in .png format. These files png images are named the same as my bmp images, but have "icon_bmp" added into the filenames. This only seems to happen with BMP image files and no other types such as original png images or jpg, etc. I usually browse image folders with extra big thumbnail view, and seeing all of the extra png copies of the bmp files right next the original is very annoying. I never asked for this setting nor do I see any way to turn it off, but there must be a way, right?

:)

Sabrina Torraunt, Oct 11, 2019

2. allocate BMP file and convert to JPEG

allocate BMP file and convert to JPEG

Heres what I want.... I want a program to allocate every BMP file within my hard drive for me and convert it to JPEG.... without "saving as" but just replace it with the original and everything in its orginal directory.

Say like i have bmp file in c/program/haha and in c/duc/hoho and i want those bmp files to be converted to jepeg and keeping everything as is.

Is there any program exist the way i want it?

btw I use win dir stat... it can allocate bmp files for me but I want a program to allovate for me and convert to jpeg for me by keeping everything as is... like original directory and replacing the original file.

HiddenStupid, Oct 11, 2019
  3. allocate BMP file and convert to JPEG

I made a program for myself that may be helpful to you.
    I made this specifically to ease the conversion of lots of .bmp files to .png or .jpg, and to save 8bit BMP files without having to use Photoshop or Paint.NET to save them as an 8bit gif then to a BMP.
    Download the ImageSaver.zip attachment for ImageSaver.exe and optiPNG.exe (why optiPNG is included is explained later in this post).
    How to use:
    Extract the two files from the .zip into any folder, but keep them in the same folder together.
    Doubleclick "ImageSaver.exe" to start it up when you want to use it.
    Requires Microsoft .NET runtime 2.0 or 3.0. I think the program won't start if you have don't have .NET installed​

Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files ImageSaver.png

You can drag/drop files from Windows Explorer into this program, or select them via a "open files" dialog.

For MS Windows versions earlier than Vista, you must have installed the Microsoft .NET runtime either manually or through Windows Update. It requires .NET runtime 2.0 and works with 3.0.

It uses Microsoft's image conversion code that comes with .NET.
    This gives the same compression quality with .PNG files as saving stuff in MS Paint (not optimal), so ImageSaver can use OptiPNG to further compress .PNG files, hence why optipng.exe is provided with it.

Keep optipng.exe and ImageSaver.exe in the same directory in order for ImageSaver to provide you the option to use optipng to generate small .png files with no picture quality loss. ImageSaver looks for "optipng.exe" in the directory it's run from, so don't rename optipng.exe if you want the option of using it's functionality.

OptiPNG takes a long time to process an image. If you try converting, say, 20 very large images to .PNG with the "use optiPNG" option checked, you will have to wait a very long time for it to complete, and the optiPNG window pops up every time it starts on a new image (this is very annoying and I can't figure out to to prevent that window from stealing input focus.​
    This program is provided free of charge, as-is, with no warranty expressed or implied, and I am not responsible for any loss that may occur to you for using it. You may not charge money for this program or its source, and you may not pass it off as your own work. (I have to say this to protect myself).

The C# source to it is provided in another .zip.

By the way, you don't want to have a computer program automatically convert ALL .bmp files to .jpg on your harddrive because Windows as well as many other programs require/expect some images to be .bmp

grazzhoppa, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File Explorer is auto-creating small .png files for all my .bmp files - Similar Threads - File Explorer auto

2. Verifying BMP files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Verifying BMP files.: Hello, I have been trying to run Fortnite or even less taxing game like Minecraft they all will crash saying "Stop code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT". I have followed the 2 links. I think this Stop code will happen everytime when going through the tutorial but I get the Stop code of...
  3. Verifying BMP files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Verifying BMP files.: Hello, I have been trying to run Fortnite or even less taxing game like Minecraft they all will crash saying "Stop code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT". I have followed the 2 links. I think this Stop code will happen everytime when going through the tutorial but I get the Stop code of...
  4. Saving a File as Monochrome ,bmp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a File as Monochrome ,bmp: I have a Plasma Cutter which uses FastCAM V7I have FastCAM V7 CAD Program & Outline V4 I have to put a clipart jpg through Paint 3D or equivalent so it changes from colour with gradients to monochrome bmp Black & White I need to transfer a clipart monochrome bmp to change it...
  5. Saving a File as Monochrome ,bmp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving a File as Monochrome ,bmp: I have a Plasma Cutter which uses FastCAM V7I have FastCAM V7 CAD Program & Outline V4 I have to put a clipart jpg through Paint 3D or equivalent so it changes from colour with gradients to monochrome bmp Black & White I need to transfer a clipart monochrome bmp to change it...
  6. Creating Files on File Explorer

Creating Files on File Explorer: I was wondering if it is possible to save a pre made folder when creating a new folder in file explorer so you wouldn't have to make the same folder every time?For example : I create a new folder with in that folder is nothing but I add new folders with there subjective...
  7. My Bmp files are saving as DIB files

My Bmp files are saving as DIB files: Hi, I build in a 3D environment and use and save bmp files for building. I've been generating bmp files and saving as a bmp files for years. Just recently I save a file as a bitmap file and when I tried to retrieve it in a 3D world I could not see the file on my computer....
  8. Explorer window preview of PNG files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer window preview of PNG files: Anyone else experiencing lack of support for previews of files in windows 10? Tried all the online articles on how to resolve this and still no luck. submitted by /u/ChromeQuixote [link] [comments]...
  9. Finding the .PNG files with different pixels in file explorer

Finding the .PNG files with different pixels in file explorer: hello, when you make a .png file filled with white pixels and transparent pixels, save it in a folder and look at the folder in the File Explorer, you get your .png file with black pixels instead of transparent pixels, and that's good. Now if you replace all white pixels...
  10. .png files in file explorer on W10

.png files in file explorer on W10: hello, when you make a .png file filled with white pixels and transparent pixels, save it in a folder and look at the folder in the File Explorer, you get your .png file with black pixels instead of transparent pixels, and that's good. Now if you replace all white pixels...