Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer is slow to launch after adding RAID 1 Mirror

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer is slow to launch after adding RAID 1 Mirror in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Symptom ; File Explorer launch delayed by about 20 seconds, icon non responding to clicks, then a bunch of instances of file explorer launch all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WCorvino, Mar 9, 2019.

1. WCorvino Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer is slow to launch after adding RAID 1 Mirror

Hi

Symptom ;

File Explorer launch delayed by about 20 seconds, icon non responding to clicks, then a bunch of instances of file explorer launch all at once.

Possible Fix;

I searched the web for a solution and found an article about Windows Search causing the problem.

I tried disabling WSearch Service , this didn't not work, so I reverted the change.

Problem seems to have cleared after enabling "storage sense".

e.g.

Windows Settings, storage

storage sense

"Windows can automatically free up space by getting rid of files
    you don't need, like temporary files and content in the recycle
    bin"

set = on

Here's the disk line up on my PC;

Storage
    Hard drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB [C:] This PC SSD
    Intel Raid 1 Volume [D:] Raid-1_Volume
    Intel Optane+2.7TBHDD [F:] Non-Raid Volume

Why would "storage sense" clear the slow launch problem for File Explorer?

:)

WCorvino, Mar 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Ethan Z. Win User
    Trouble creating a RAID 1 Array

Originally, I wanted to create a RAID 1 Array using USB Drives lying around and test it out and see how well RAID 1 works. A message popped up when I clicked on the partition I wanted to mirror and said the operation failed because the Disk Management
    Console is not up to date. It suggested I refresh it, relaunch it, or even restart my computer. I tried all three things, and it still wouldn't let me mirror the partition. Then I realized that maybe Windows won't let me create a RAID 1 Array on USB Drives,
    so I went to the original plan I was going to do and grabbed my 500GB External HDD and my 120GB External SSD (they are both USB 3.0 connected enclosures) and when I tried to mirror a partition on my 500GB HDD using my SSD, it wouldn't let me use the SSD to
    mirror it. So then I tried using my internal windows 10 SSD to mirror my HDD. But, I needed to shrink my main partition on my internal SSD and it wouldn't let me shrink it saying there was a certain amount I could shrink it to, but I could only shrink 135MB
    at max and I have 89.4GB free on that partition. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated (and by the way, if you're wondering why I'm trying to run RAID 1 on an external HDD/SSD is just for testing and more file redundancy and performance).

Ethan Z., Mar 9, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Hi there

I believe to use mirror / striping in RAID 1 configuration on Windows you need to use Storage spaces - so set the 2 HDD's into a storage space and then you can adjust striping / mirroring.

How to set up RAID in Windows 10 - Windows 10 - Toms Hardware

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File Explorer is slow to launch after adding RAID 1 Mirror - Similar Threads - File Explorer slow

2. Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows RAID mirror with different SSDs?: We got a new workstation shipped with a pair of 960Gb industrial calss SSDs for the Windows Pro partition.However, because of immediate shipment requirement, the supplier installed SSDs of different brands:Samsung PM883Micron 5300Different controllers, different NAND-memory,...
  3. Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Transfer of Raid 1 (mirrored) drives to new PC: I recently built a new desktop PC. I transferred two 8TB drives that were mirrored from my previous PC. In my new PC they show up as one drive. I have put each drive individually and they each show up with all the data. I have backed up this data and wish to use the drives as...
  4. Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces 2-way mirror Vanished! RAID 1: Setup: Windows 10 Pro updated to 20H2 1x 600GB HDD with OS Win 10 Pro, updated to 20H2 - all fine 2x 4TB HDD in RAID 1 two-way mirror using Windows Storage Space -ERROR All worked fine for 8 months, but while moving system to a new case, all of a sudden mytwo-way mirror...
  5. RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1

RAID 1 (Mirrored) and 20H1: I am having the following problem in trying to set up a Mirrored RAID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d4481ae?page=2 Seems to be a 20H1 issue sure hope they fix it 155456
  6. RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RAID 1 mirror in Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Home questions: I built my first PC and successfully set up RAID 1. I copied a file to it and then in turn unplugged each hard drive to confirm it was written to both. Then copied over 1TB worth of my files. I decided to reinstall Windows 10 Home on my NVME hard drive that is not part of...
  7. Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't boot after deleting a raid 1 mirror.: I deleted an old Intel WINDOWSXP raid 1 mirror and the system would not boot. I tried fixboot “access denied” . All hard drives removed. I used the procedure to use fixboot but the problem was not the same as indicated. My boot is volume 1 but as’”E”. Volume 3 is” C” which...
  8. Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid

Windows 10 raid 1 using windows raid: Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum. I've added a hard drive to my system to enable raid 1 via windows 10 Pro (not hardware raid). my main drive has 4 partitions which were set up when I installed windows 8.1. I have since upgraded to 10 pro. I assume these partitions...
  9. Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !

Software Raid 1. Can not Add Mirror !: I can't Add Mirror to Disk 1 (from Disk 2)! [img] Windows 10 popup the following message. [img] What should I do . I don't want to buy a new HDD. My OS: Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 x64 Thanks in advance 83276
  10. File Explore Slow Launch from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explore Slow Launch from Taskbar: When I launch the file explorer from the icon pinned to the taskbar, it takes 3-4 seconds to launch. But when I launch it from the start menu, it's almost instantaneous. What could be the cause of this? 107627