Windows 10: Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

Discus and support Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename in Cortana to solve the problem; I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by MKE#, Jan 27, 2021.

1. MKE# Win User

Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename

I expect that if I type an expression into the search bar in File Explorer, which primarily displays file names, it will be searched in the names of files with the CONTAINS method and not just StartsWith method.

I have read this, but the problem has not been resolved:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana-winpc/search-for-part-of-a-filename/0f9ba41f-6637-4734-956f-96d71a50e798

I'm sure the folder in which I'm looking for an expression is included in Search and Indexing locations and many times I tried to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

if I use these characters *expression* expression is part of file name for searching, it will find my files, but I don't think this is the solution!, but only another possibility.

:)

2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Jan 27, 2021
  3. GuyLydig Win User
    Search for part of a filename

I appreciate your efforts, however the problem remains.

When I used filename: in the Search box these were my results (How did you put in a screen shot? I could not.):

filename:765 - files found

filename:*765 or filename:*65 or filename:65 - no files found

When I used name: in the Search box or left the Search box blank before typing part of a filename:

name:*765 and name:765 - files found

name:*65 and name:65 - no files found

*765 and 765 - files found

*65 and 65 - no files found

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Guy

GuyLydig, Jan 27, 2021
  4. GuyLydig Win User

Search for part of a filename

Windows 10: How do you search for part of a filename?

I have a folder with hundreds of pictures named IMG_####.jpg where the #### is replaced with numbers. In Explorer I go to the folder I want to search.

If the file is named IMG_7654.jpg: In the search box in the upper right corner,

If I type 7654 the file IS located.

If I type only 654 it is NOT found.

If I type only 76, all files beginning with 76 after the underscore ARE found.

Same for 765 and just 7. All files found.

WHY is it only finding the files if I include the digit after the underscore?

(It also finds files if I include the beginning of the file name - IMG or IM or I.)

HOW can the Search feature locate files given any part of the file name?

Thank you for taking the time.

Guy Lydig

GuyLydig, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - File explorer not search part of a filename - Similar Threads - File explorer search

2. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  3. Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can you search in Windows 10 File Explorer using partial filenames?: Filenames including text and numbers requires two-handed search for trained typists. In Windows 7, I could find files using num pad with one hand when files were found using partial filenames.Is this possible in Windows 10?...
  4. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  5. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  6. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

Win10 file explorer search filename length problem: I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a...
  8. Win10 file explorer search filename length problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 file explorer search filename length problem: I think i found a bug in the file explorer search function of Windows 10 64 bit up to date but dont know the build.When I browse to a file on my usb harddrive NTFS which is 2 directories deep with a driveletter and filepath length of 12 characters i can rename the file to a...
  9. How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...

How do user search in windows explorer in filename that contains the keyword in any part of...: Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-user-search-in-windows-explorer-in-filename/f4187454-22a4-4899-842d-a71b9509dd81
  10. Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search zip files by filename in explorer?: Have a folder with a bunch of zip files, if I search the folder I get no results even though I can see the file names. Example: I search for "blue" And the files in the folder are: blue.zip red.zip green.zip There are no results. What's up? submitted by /u/wozmatic...