Windows 10: Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

Discus and support Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When opening any file double left click from File Explorer there is a 23 second delay. This happens for .txt file notepad .doc word .pdf pdf-xchange... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AndrewPempek, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

When opening any file double left click from File Explorer there is a 23 second delay. This happens for .txt file notepad .doc word .pdf pdf-xchange .xls excel.

When right clicking on a file, the main properties menu opens but when the "open with" context menu is selected it will often also take 23 seconds to populate, and will crash explorer if given a "second click" again during this hang time.

The application programs will launch instantly from the start menu and the same files will open instantly through the programs open commands.

File Explorer opens correctly and copy / paste function correctly.

CHKDSK, and SFC found no errors. CCleaner found no issues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event viewer records the following durring a "second click" event...

The program explorer.exe version 10.0.19041.906 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
    Process ID: 1f6c
    Start Time: 01d7271fed4f10f3
    Termination Time: 0
    Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Report Id: 98122b1f-e9d3-4409-bef0-8a705a7f7d75
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Hang type: Cross-thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: AppHangB1
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: explorer.exe
    P2: 10.0.19041.906
    P3: 34013b78
    P4: f17c
    P5: 134742016
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppHang_explorer.exe_a04ac8e1de3e65d77edd155c89307d238f75fa17_6cfbdaab_05349686-1c7d-4bb5-89a1-816a87c9ee38

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Status: 4
    Hashed bucket:
    Cab Guid: 0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fault bucket 1186482794889613114, type 5
    Event Name: AppHangB1
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: explorer.exe
    P2: 10.0.19041.906
    P3: 34013b78
    P4: f17c
    P5: 134742016
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER3816.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_explorer.exe_a04ac8e1de3e65d77edd155c89307d238f75fa17_6cfbdaab_05349686-1c7d-4bb5-89a1-816a87c9ee38

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Status: 268435456
    Hashed bucket: 53b5b19a5f21ce12a0773bd0d1820f3a
    Cab Guid: 0

:)

AndrewPempek, Apr 1, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 1, 2021
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Harvy Win User

Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54365

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash.

1. Windows 10 file explorer "Open With" hang or crash. - Similar Threads - file explorer Open

2. File Explorer crash/hang/badness

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crash/hang/badness: I have seen this question for many years. Has there ever been a resolution?So, i have a great number of machines/users who are experiencing File Manager Explorer continually crash. I have replaced machines to said users. Explorer still crashes. Windows 10 clean build Explorer...
  3. File Explorer crash/hang/badness

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer crash/hang/badness: I have seen this question for many years. Has there ever been a resolution?So, i have a great number of machines/users who are experiencing File Manager Explorer continually crash. I have replaced machines to said users. Explorer still crashes. Windows 10 clean build Explorer...
  4. File Explorer crash/hang/badness

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Windows 11 file explorer hangs severly and crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer hangs severly and crashes: I've searched all the threads and tried all the fixes and none work.Symptoms are when renaming files the folder will hang up for 10 minutes not respondingCan't copy or move more than one directory at a time. Sometimes it copies one directory, sometings it crashes. Renaming or...
  6. Windows 11 file explorer hangs severly and crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer hangs severly and crashes: I've searched all the threads and tried all the fixes and none work.Symptoms are when renaming files the folder will hang up for 10 minutes not respondingCan't copy or move more than one directory at a time. Sometimes it copies one directory, sometings it crashes. Renaming or...
  7. File explorer won't open and hanging the whole windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer won't open and hanging the whole windows: [ATTACH]So this is how it looks and I have tried a ton of methods but none is working. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-wont-open-and-hanging-the-whole/5cb2ece7-1b43-43b0-9134-c2327557000c
  8. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  9. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  10. File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening: Totally frustrated. I am a SW developer for the last 20 years... And I cannot open the w10 file explorer without it being crashed or hanged. Sometimes windows will be kind and open it when right clicking and sometimes not. This is totally unbelievable. I even don't feel...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open with crashes explorer