Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Genje5, Nov 10, 2019.

1. /u/Genje5 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903

I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way:

However, if they are files, the order will be changed to:

1.txt

2.5.txt

2.txt

3.txt

I don't really understand why Microsoft's ordering logic is inconsistent between files and folders. This is hurting me because I am using a book reading program that can jump to the next file in a folder automatically, but I don't want to read Ch. 2.5 before Ch. 2

submitted by /u/Genje5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Genje5, Nov 10, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 10, 2019
  3. JojoYoder Win User
    file explorer taking forever to load files in order in windows 10

Bronis,

I had the same issue and found this solution on another website:

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality
    to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:

1. Hold Win+r to open run

2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter

3. Click Services

4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)

5. Uncheck tickbox

6. Click apply then ok

7. Select to restart now

JojoYoder, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent :p

Frick, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent - Similar Threads - File Explorer Ordering

2. Windows 10 File Explorer Listing Order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer Listing Order: I cannot find a listing of the default order of the files on Windows Explorer. I know mine are not correct. In my list I have Quick access at the top followed by Desktop. Desktop contains: Creative Cloud Files, OneDrive, Me, This PC, Libraries, Network, Control Panel, Recycle...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Listing Order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer Listing Order: I cannot find a listing of the default order of the files on Windows Explorer. I know mine are not correct. In my list I have Quick access at the top followed by Desktop. Desktop contains: Creative Cloud Files, OneDrive, Me, This PC, Libraries, Network, Control Panel, Recycle...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Listing Order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sorting order of filenames in File Explorer Windows 10: The way windows order filenames in the file explorer is beyond me. I understand that it tries to be "intelligent", ordering, for instance and by default, 111.txt after 22.txt, which sounds dummy for CS people, but ok, I get it. I also understand that you can change its...
  6. File Explorer Sort Order

File Explorer Sort Order: Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending on the search. What's...
  7. File Explorer list order.

File Explorer list order.: For years through many versions of windows I never had to deal with this issue until the recent update. I like to see all of my sub folders listed first, then the files in a folder. How do I get that to happen. I mostly use list and thumbnail in my folder listings....
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer Ordering Logic is Inconsistent: I am using a Windows 10 Home version 1903 I am trying to organize a set of folders and files on my computer but I'm having a hard time. For example, when ordering by name, Windows file explorer lists folders in this way: 1 2 2.5 3 However, if they are files, the order will...
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage

Windows 10 File Explorer - inconsistent file storage count/usage: I'm attempting to determine how much space a folder is using in Windows 10 File Explorer. I right-click the Properties and see that it says on 20Gb when I know it's much more. I then use an alternative app (TreeSize) and it calculates the storage used on the same folder as a...
  10. Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent

Windows 10 File Explorer - #files shown in folders is inconsistent: I am using Windows 10 and notice the following things when using file explorer: 1. 1. When I place the cursor over the documents folder, it shows the size as 9.09 GB instead of the 6.63 GB as shown in the properties box when I right click on the documents folder. 2....