Windows 10: Windows 10 file explorer problem

Discus and support Windows 10 file explorer problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a PC this year with Windows 10 installed, and it went fine but after some time it started freezing whenever I opened the file explorer or if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Guma006, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Guma006 Win User

Windows 10 file explorer problem

I bought a PC this year with Windows 10 installed, and it went fine but after some time it started freezing whenever I opened the file explorer or if I right clicked on a file or in the desktop. The files in the desktop also display a blank page instead of their usual icon. I have no clue what may have caused this and it is very infuriating. I have tried several solutions that I found on internet, such as removing desktop menus from my NVIDIA graphic card, typing sfc /scannow to see if it detected any issues(it didnt) and also going into file explorer options and checking and unchecking whatever it said on the internet(most of the options were already checked or unchecked how they were supposed to).
    It is really a big deal because some times it works just fine, but most of the time it just stays there loading or it doesnt respond at all and I have to close it, if I open it again it still wont work. It happens in any folders, and when I open the file explorer directly (the This PC folder) it just crashes. I would really appreciate it if anyone here knows of any solution that actually works for me.

:)

Guma006, Sep 26, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 26, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Sep 26, 2020
  4. Frick Win User

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows 10 file explorer problem :p

Frick, Sep 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 file explorer problem - Similar Threads - file explorer problem

2. Problem with file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with file explorer: File explorer constantly crashes on right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-file-explorer/db230838-4547-4344-a934-7d0b4cf4ffc6
  3. Problem with new Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with new Windows 10 File Explorer: What used to work no longer did with the addition of the new File Explorer in Windows 10. Office files on a network would not open using File Explorer. However the file would open if one used MS Word or Excel 2007 "recent files". So. today there was some sort of an update and...
  4. Problem with Windows file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Windows file explorer?: I have my resume in PDF format, saved to This PC/My documents. When I try to attach my resume to an email (I click on one icon and press open), the entire folder of icons gets attached and sent to recipient. Microsoft support seems stumped as they never gave me an answer to...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer and Windows Installer problem

Windows 10 File Explorer and Windows Installer problem: Whenever I launch File explorer, windows installer starts and tries to install something but never completes, then after a while both close. Also, I am unable to launch anything with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, again windows installer launches and after a while crashes or quits....
  6. Windows 10- File Explorer problem.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10- File Explorer problem.: Recently, when I load an audio CD to view file properties using File Explorer in Windows 10 a dialog box appears with two choices for how I plan to use the CD I am about to burn. File Explorer then starts to reformat my audio CD thus corrupting my music files on the CD. I...
  7. Windows File Explorer Problem

Windows File Explorer Problem: Windows File Explorer has 5 columns (in my arrangement). The first (left-hand) column contains major headings (such as drive letters, Quick Access etc.), the column to its right has the title "Name" and the other columns are to the right of that. Quite suddenly and...
  8. problems of microsoft , File Explorer, Windows 10

problems of microsoft , File Explorer, Windows 10: Untitled And non-opening [ATTACH] We are always struggling with problems Why is it always such a struggle for windows 10 users? Do Mac users have less problems? Using Windows 10 is like drinking Water in Colander!...
  9. problems of microsoft , File Explorer, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    problems of microsoft , File Explorer, Windows 10: Untitled And non-opening [ATTACH] We are always struggling with problems Why is it always such a struggle for windows 10 users? Do Mac users have less problems? Using Windows 10 is like drinking Water in Colander!...
  10. Win 10 File Explorer problem

Win 10 File Explorer problem: Stacked and side-by-side do not always arrange views 50-50. See attachments.[ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-file-explorer-problem/29b2a366-985b-45c9-9133-73d4b2f77626"