Windows 10: Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow

Discus and support Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo C340 touchscreen laptop that I bought just a few weeks ago. Most of the time it works fine, as indeed it should do. But when I want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mike.2020, Jun 6, 2020.

1. mike.2020 Win User

Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow

I have a Lenovo C340 touchscreen laptop that I bought just a few weeks ago.

Most of the time it works fine, as indeed it should do.

But when I want to access files from Downloads or Documents saved on my laptop it often takes a long time for the green bar to move from left to right across the top on the file explorer window and if I try clicking on a file during that time I get a constant little blue buffering circle and I end up having to use Task Manager to end the process.

Can anyone help me to sort out this problem?

:)

mike.2020, Jun 6, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 6, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Jun 6, 2020
  4. razghost Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Jun 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 file explorer ridiculously slow - Similar Threads - file explorer ridiculously

2. Windows Explorer is ridiculous

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer is ridiculous: Who can understand this mess of icons, many of them repeated, how in the world are you supposed to organize anything on this nightmare!What is the point to have Home and then you user folder and then Desktop, Documents Music, all the folders repeated like a million times...
  3. Windows Explorer is ridiculous

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer is ridiculous: Who can understand this mess of icons, many of them repeated, how in the world are you supposed to organize anything on this nightmare!What is the point to have Home and then you user folder and then Desktop, Documents Music, all the folders repeated like a million times...
  4. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow: Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab...
  5. Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reading Metadata from Media Files: Ridiculously Slow: Opening a folder for the first time in a session which contains a large number of media files e.g., *.mov, *.jpg, *.mp4 is very slow i.e., slowly crawling green bar in the file path box.From what I can tell this is because Windows insists on opening each of the files to grab...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding: As the title above my file explorer takes too long to load when i opened it, or even attaching files online. If I click anything it will show that its not responding and then finish loading after awhile. Other apps work just fine only the file explorer has problem.So far I...
  7. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  8. Ridiculously slow transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Support
    Ridiculously slow transfer speeds: I have been having an issue with file transfers starting at 300MB/s then tapering down to around 20-30MB/s (as low as 6MB/s on the Firecuda) This is based on a 26.4 GB folder of Karaoke files (CDG & MP3 only). This seems ridiculously slow to me. I am not sure how to tell if...
  9. Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ridiculously slow/failed file transfers in Windows 10: I have had sever problems transferring files to my new Windows 10 laptop, something that appears to be happening to thousands of users. After days of troubleshooting, it appears that Windows gets stuck "calculating" the estimated transfer time or transfers at ridiculously...
  10. Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow: This was few months ago, don't mind the text in the video, this was from another issue. 2017 02 03 15 44 16 1 - YouTube And this is now: 2017 04 23 10 00 04 - YouTube You definitely can see the difference, the os is installed on a 250gb Samsung SSD. Sometimes I don't...