Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When the cursor enters the Windows 10 File Explorer search box, the box drops down, partially mostly hiding text entry. see image inserted below I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tim Curran, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

When the cursor enters the Windows 10 File Explorer search box, the box drops down, partially mostly hiding text entry. see image inserted below

I've scoured the web looking for solutions and found no references to this issue at all. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden debfb946-717c-4fd5-9ece-a8070e1e96b9?upload=true.png

:)

Tim Curran, Sep 27, 2020
  2. JohnHeinz Win User

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

1. Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden - Similar Threads - File Explorer Search

2. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  3. File Explorer search box not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search box not accessible: I've recently installed Windows 11, and I have an issue with the search function of the File Explorer: I can't put my cursor in the Search field if I launch the File Explorer through the default 'File Explorer' shortcut.I found the following workaround: I open the 'old'...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box: File Explorer Search - does anyone know how the search algorithm works or if there is any rhyme or reason for the order of results? Or better yet, do you know a way to define sort rules for this search?...
  5. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Windows 10 Support
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004 (19041.508). In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into...
  6. Bug in File Explorer's search box

in Cortana
    Bug in File Explorer's search box: I just reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, wiping the SSD because it was crashing with BSODs and other errors; I was in the 20h2 build, now I'm in the stable 2004. In the new install, as always, I set the search in the File Explorer to "automatically type into the search...
  7. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  8. File Explorer Search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  9. File Explorer search box not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer search box not working: Not able to enter text in either File Explorer or Windows Search boxes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-box-not-working/f0ea428d-fc71-482f-a3b8-7173fe2bae59
  10. Windows 10 - Search box on explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Search box on explorer: Hi. I have an HP Z4 G4 Workstation with windows 10 Pro x64 PT On some days the user can't write on search box, on explorer to find files. The solution is close the Explorer process and then open another Explorer.exe. But then (days later) happens again. I'd like to know...