Windows 10: Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional

Discus and support Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm looking for a patch or fix that will allow me to use file explorer like in the past 3 months ago after the 1903 update the search box of file... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Karen D. Smith, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional

I'm looking for a patch or fix that will allow me to use file explorer like in the past 3 months ago

after the 1903 update the search box of file explorer is pretty much 25% effective. I can some times use it, some time I'm able to even get my cursor to click on the box to allow typing.

right click and and copy and paste is no longer an option, that feature appears to have been removed.

I've tried the number of tutorial to fix but those are all temporary fixes. the next reboot of my computer the problem is back...i need a true fix.

other problems.

the search history of previous views searches is not kept.

wild card searches are no longer an option when manual typing is written in

in simple terms the mold was broken with the latest update.

How do I roll back just file explorer, everything else works fine and is quite stable.

FYI: I do not use Cortana and have no desire to use it.

:)

Karen D. Smith, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 28, 2019
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 28, 2019
  4. NMI
    NMI Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional

The recent change to the search function in explorer?

I think this is going to be a frequent cause of confusion and questions once more users get updated to version 1909 soon.

As far as I know, the File Explorer changes are only documented in the Insider Preview release from nearly six months ago:

But hopefully a better explanation of the changes will be published once 1909 is more generally released.

Thema:

Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional

1. Windows 10 File Explorer search box non-functional - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. Search function in Microsoft File Explorer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Microsoft File Explorer Windows 10: Hi,Hope all is well.I'm looking for a way to search a large network drive which contains multiple layers of subfolders and a huge number of documents to obtain a list of all documents/files e.g. videos, photos, word documents etc that I am either the author/file owner of. I...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box: File Explorer Search - does anyone know how the search algorithm works or if there is any rhyme or reason for the order of results? Or better yet, do you know a way to define sort rules for this search?...
  4. Non-Functioning Windows 10 Search Bar

in Cortana
    Non-Functioning Windows 10 Search Bar: The search bar in windows 10 is not currently working for me. When I click on the search bar, it does not let me type anything, and the window that appears above the search bar after clicking on it is blank most of the time, occasionally it will flash the normal apps. The...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden

Windows 10 File Explorer Search box hidden: When the cursor enters the Windows 10 File Explorer search box, the box drops down, partially mostly hiding text entry. see image inserted below I've scoured the web looking for solutions and found no references to this issue at all. Any thoughts, suggestions? [ATTACH]...
  6. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  7. File Explorer Search box

File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  8. How to completely remove the search box/ search function from File Explorer.

in Cortana
    How to completely remove the search box/ search function from File Explorer.: Hi all, How can I completely remove the search box/field and search function from File Explorer in Windows 10 64-Bit? In Windows 7, the option to disable Windows search in Programs and Features did the job but this is no longer available in Windows 10. Disabling the...
  9. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  10. Non-Functional Search Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Non-Functional Search Bar: After I update Windows 10 Professional, the search bar on the left bottom of my screen will no longer work and the icon window above it is blank. If I roll back the latest update, it works again. I have tried many of the online suggestions to no avail. The problem started...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. non-windows file explorer