Windows 10: Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Discus and support Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Using windows 10. Open file explorer. Go to a folder. Click search bar, enter "type:ppt", hit search. No items match your search. I can see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 7waswaybetter, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Using windows 10.

Open file explorer.

Go to a folder.

Click search bar, enter "typeWindows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect :ppt", hit search.

No items match your search.

I can see multiple powerpoint files in the folder. Why do none show up in search results? 7 did not have this problem.

Same goes for searching by size and date modified. In 7's file explorer I could just type and get results.

Have also used: .ppt, .pptx, pptx, powerpoint.

Have tried the 'Current folder' and 'All subfolders' options.

:)

7waswaybetter, Feb 28, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

I have tried all the above steps but I am unable to find and search a file with email address as search key.

Please help.

Regards

Dr. Saleem Siddiqi

Dr Saleem Siddiqi, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Windows 10 File Explorer search tool not working

Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing an issue with the search in the File Explorer. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to run the Search and indexing troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps provided below.

• Press Windows logo key + X Key.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Double Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all option, on left hand side of the window.
    • Click on Search and indexing and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

1. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. Incorrect results from file explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect results from file explorer in Windows 11: When OneDrive can't merge files, it create a duplicate and affixes the computer name on the end. This happens annoyingly often, and you can end up with thousands of unwanted duplicate files. In the past, I have searched for that computer name on my D drive, found all the...
  3. Incorrect results from file explorer in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect results from file explorer in Windows 11: When OneDrive can't merge files, it create a duplicate and affixes the computer name on the end. This happens annoyingly often, and you can end up with thousands of unwanted duplicate files. In the past, I have searched for that computer name on my D drive, found all the...
  4. Files missing from File Explorer Search Results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files missing from File Explorer Search Results: I recently migrated from an older Windows 10 computer to a newer Windows 11 computer. On the new device, I cannot get search to work correctly. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps I know of and nothing seems to work.The problem is that .DOC files are not returned in some...
  5. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  6. File explorer search results in a dropdown window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search results in a dropdown window: Hello, I am encountering problems with the file search feature after the latest update, from the update it changed the file search from showing me the results in picture form into a dropdown box by the search bar. (https://imgur.com/a/NpMSCB1 This is the dropdown box) Its...
  7. File explorer sort search results by relevance

File explorer sort search results by relevance: How could I sort the search results in file explorer by relevance to the syntax phrase that I wrote in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-sort-search-results-by-relevance/f70d3cbe-21b8-47fe-97d7-05071ad222ae
  8. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  9. Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Windows 10 File Explorer search result columns: How do I customize search result columns in File Explorer? For example, I would always like to see the Date Created column in all my searches. I have tried using tips for earlier Windows versions, but Windows 10 seems to have disabled the "Apply to Folders" button in the View...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...