Windows 10: Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks

Discus and support Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 search is completely incompetent. Across multiple installations on multiple machines it consistently fails to find what I need, often... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Helmanfrow, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks

Windows 10 search is completely incompetent. Across multiple installations on multiple machines it consistently fails to find what I need, often blathering out nonsensical results unrelated to my search terms or blanking entirely, the progress bar hovering near completion indefinitely. That such basic functionality is so poorly implemented is baffling. Even when it does find what I need it takes SO LONG. It would be comical were it not so infuriating.

Contrast this with Void Tools Everything, which can find anything I want in an instant. Just like that. This is ONE GUY who does search better than all the minds on the Windows team combined. The whole situation is absurd.

:)

Helmanfrow, Aug 24, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 24, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. dark2099 Win User

Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks

1. Windows 10 File & Folder Search Still Sucks - Similar Threads - File Folder Search

2. Why does windows 10 search still suck in 2022 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does windows 10 search still suck in 2022 ?: There are apps i downloaded and are just not recognized by the windows search even tho it is not currently been indexed. Especially apps are the ones that don't get recognized. Are there people who face the same issues as me? Can someone give some clarification? submitted by...
  3. Search Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Files and Folders: Why does Windows 11 make it harder to search for and move files and folders? I see no option for moving files when I right click on one. When I try to narrow a search for video files in a particular folder, not all of the files show up. Who does Microsoft get to test the Beta...
  4. Search Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Files and Folders: Why does Windows 11 make it harder to search for and move files and folders? I see no option for moving files when I right click on one. When I try to narrow a search for video files in a particular folder, not all of the files show up. Who does Microsoft get to test the Beta...
  5. Windows 10 file search SUCKS still!?

Windows 10 file search SUCKS still!?: Saw the thread 5 years ago, still garbo imo. submitted by /u/BTworld361 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mcuap6/windows_10_file_search_sucks_still/
  6. Invisibility of entry into folder search sucks in win 10

Invisibility of entry into folder search sucks in win 10: Just want to say that whoever thought it was a good idea, to change the functionality of the seach box that searches folders, so that you can't see what you just typed in/ copy pasta-ed in the box is a dolt. Wastes a whole lot of time. submitted by /u/cya_cyco [link]...
  7. Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder: Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder, despite setting that option in Advanced Options in Indexing Options. Rebuilding index doesn't help with that. It seems to me that OneDrive setting which might preventing searching for file contents is...
  8. Windows 10 still sucks.....

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 still sucks.....: It's 2019 and Windows 10 still sucks. Does anyone in Microsoft care? I can't even list the plethora of issues. This is a paralyzed OS which should be debunked. urgghhhhh!!!!...
  9. Searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  10. Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Doesn't Suck Anymore: Search has been getting better and better with every version of Windows, but with 10, it’s it a place where it is legitimately awesome. It found what I was looking for, damn near first time — even if I mistyped the exact name of a file or app, something Windows 8 was always...