Windows 10: Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

Discus and support Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PaulHarr, Jan 10, 2022.

1. PaulHarr Win User

Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?

:)

PaulHarr, Jan 10, 2022
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 10, 2022
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Jan 10, 2022
  4. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

File History Physical Connected But Not Electronic

Hello Candun,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that File History is not recognizing the external USB expansion drive, even though the drive had worked initially and it was behaving normally in File Explorer.

This issue may occur if any of the backup in the drive you are backing up is corrupted or the library is corrupted.

Please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

1. Open File History and click Select Drive. Select a different drive other than the one that is failing to be recognized. you can consider adding an extra internal HDD to your PC in this situation.

2. Go to the external USB drive that wasn't being recognised, find the File History folder and rename it to "File History.old" or delete it.

3. Go to your C:\Users\your user folder\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows, find the File History folder and rename it "File History.old" or delete it.

4. Re-open File History, click Select drive and select the original USB drive that was not being recognised. The drive should now set up normally and start operating.

5. Delete the File History folder on the drive used in step 1

Method 2

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Also refer: What if something goes wrong in File History?

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support

(Note: Applies to windows 10)

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 10, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

1. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails - Similar Threads - File History Fails

2. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  3. Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 File History Back-up Fails: Two days ago, the File History Backup stopped working and cannot be re-started. Keep getting "Unusual condition was encountered during finalization of a backup cycle for configuration" - Event ID 204 Source: FileHistory-Core in Event Viewer. What's wrong?...
  4. Windows 10 File History not backing up properly?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History not backing up properly?: So around a month ago I was trying to set up file history in case my PC broke. I had it set to save on an internal HDD that I kept games on and such. I remember it wouldn't work but I couldn't figure out why and I forgot about it. Now I am trying to set it up again and I...
  5. Windows 10 file history not backing up.

Windows 10 file history not backing up.: Ever since 7/29 my backup hasnt been working, i have tried 4 times now already but the size and date for the most recent backup hasnt changed it says, I dont know if thats a glitch or not but I might be getting a new PC soon and I will try and change the hard drives out and...
  6. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  7. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  8. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  9. Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...

Windows 10 File History backup fails for every directory: "Directory is not backed up...: Appears to be problem reported as "Your data is not yet backed up" Windows 10 Home version 1803 current as of 7/11/2018. Since application of KB4284848 on 7/05/2018 File History has stopped working. It no longer backs up any directories. The Error log message is...
  10. Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 File History Not Backing Up Automatically: I've had Windows 10 file history enabled since i got Windows 10 on release. It backs up every hour and has been working fine for over a year. A few days ago i went to restore a file and noticed that the file was not in the backup. I checked my backup, and noticed that...