Windows 10: Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

Discus and support Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions. How do I copy the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobSmith1233, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

My 1TB external hard drive is almost full. I want to keep all my previous file history files rather than delete older versions.

How do I copy the file history files from this older 1TB external hard drive to a new 6TB external hard drive?

I'd then like to use the new 6TB external hard drive as the back up for file history.

:)

BobSmith1233, Aug 3, 2020

2. How to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive?

I use the external drive
    for File History and have a lot of information there. I want to restart the File History process on a new drive and place the previous File History drive off-site.

Please suggest the steps to stop File History on the old drive and start File History on a new drive.

CindyRomero, Aug 3, 2020
  3. willrudd Win User
    Fall Creators WIndow 10 Pro-File History-Need to move to a larger USB drive

Fall Creators Win 10 Pro-How can I retain File History backup files from original usb drive when moving to a larger usb external drive? If I move them to the larger USB drive before connecting it to WIndows 10 Pro File History, will Windows 10 recognize
    them and just continue adding new files?

willrudd, Aug 3, 2020
  4. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

How do I move my File History Backup files to a new drive

Hi Alex,

You can use the File History feature of Windows 10 to back up your files on a periodic basis. This is very effective if you have a lot of personal files. Since you have a new larger amount of storage, you can change it to serve as your new back up.
    To start using the File History, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + I to open Settings.
    • Click Update & security.
    • On the left pane, click Backup.
    • Click More options under Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Back up to a different drive.
    • Click Stop using drive.
    • Go back to the previous window.
    • Click Add a drive.
    • Wait for it to load then you will see your hard drives.
    • Once you are done selecting your external drive, toggle on the
      Automatically back up my files
    • Click X to close window.

Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive f5379c30-2eaa-4801-badd-abf2f4bcbfb0.png

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Johann Eva, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive

1. Windows 10 File History Backup Files New Larger External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  3. Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows11: Selecting files to backup to an external drive with file history: I have seen and followed all the explanations to use file history with windows 11 to backup files to an external drive, But I can't find how to select or add files to backup as it was possible with windows 10. The only option left is exclude files to backup...Anyone knows how...
  4. File History external hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History external hard drive freezes computer: FYI - After switching to Windows 10 I chose to try File History to backup my data files. When the external hard drive is connected, my computer will freeze whenever the hard drive light is on. I am using a Dell laptop with wireless mouse and keyboard through a Dell "docking"...
  5. File History can't see external hard drive

File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  6. File History not detecting my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History not detecting my external hard drive: I’m trying to backup my computer with File History and I’m trying to back it up to my external WD 4TB external hard drive. But when selecting the drives to back it up to, it only shows my HDD. submitted by /u/throaway9001 [link] [comments]...
  7. Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trying to backup PC to external hard drive but file history wont turn on.: trying to backup PC to external hard drive but File History won't turn on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-backup-pc-to-external-hard-drive-but/e5d81d7c-edb4-40b9-9cf5-3b498b4e9471
  8. Cannot see File History in backup to external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see File History in backup to external drive: Hello, I use a WD My Passport to do backups for my HP laptop. I use Windows 10 Home edition. When I did a backup recently, I did not see my File History in there. It just showed a System/Disk? image on the backup drive and some other file ending in .cat. I keep all of my...
  9. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  10. File History backups from 2 hard drives?

File History backups from 2 hard drives?: Hi everybody, First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History. My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course with the OS and programs (M.2 drive) and drive D:\, an SSD for my data, mainly photos. The backups are done to a third,...