Windows 10: Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

Discus and support Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone: I'm trying to set up a File History backup from a Windows 10 desktop to an external 4TB hard drive. I have a large internal 1TB drive D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ahmd, Feb 5, 2020.

1. ahmd Win User

Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

Hi everyone:

I'm trying to set up a File History backup from a Windows 10 desktop to an external 4TB hard drive. I have a large internal 1TB drive D: that I've redirected all my user folders to (documents, desktop, pictures, music, etc.) so for convenience I want to just backup drive D, which I added to the file history list of folders to include in the backup.

But it hasn't backed up anything, even if I click "Backup now" it tries for a little bit and does nothing.

What am I missing there?

:)

ahmd, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Roohi_Taj Win User

File History not working with internal backup drives.

Hi PeteComp,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'll need a few more details to analyze your concern & provide an accurate solution:

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • How much space is left out on the back up drive?

This issue might occur if some system files are not working properly or
    if it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to re add your File History drive and check.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1:
    1. Press Windows
      and R
      key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit enter.
    3. Search for Software Protection, Volume Shadow Copy and Windows BackupDouble click on the service and select
      Automatic under start up type.

4. Click on Start, Apply and Ok.

5. Restart the computer and check if is working now.

Method 2:

1. Go to Control Panel
      > Click on System and Security>
      Click on File History > Turn off.
    2. Click on Settings >Go to Update & Security > select Backup on the left pane.
    3. On the right pane, select
      more options
      > Click on Stop using this drive.
    4. Delete the File History folder in your drive.

Note: Deleting File history back up will remove all the versions of the Files. Make sure you take the back up on the external drive, before deleting it.

5. Start using File History again.
    Try to setup the interval time, make some changes on the file and check if File history back up is working at the mentioned time.

Method 3: Try with External drive

You can connect the external drive and follow the procedure to setup the drive again. Here is the information about
    Backup and restore your files

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Feb 5, 2020
  3. File History backups from 2 hard drives?

Hi everybody,

First time here and I would like to put out a question concerning File History.

My PC has several hard drives, drive C:\ of course with the OS and programs (M.2 drive) and drive D:\, an SSD for my data, mainly photos. The backups are done to a third, internal 1Tb hard drive.

I set up File History to include the drive D:\ (added it in the list in settings).

Now it appears to actually back up the files from drive D:\ - I checked by opening the File History directory on the backup drive!

When I open File History to try to recover versions of my files I see only the 'normal' places listed (Desktop, Documents, One Drive etc). No trace of my drive D:\.

What am I missing here? How can I make sure I can recover files from this drive with File History if need be.

By the way I also tried putting the various folders from drive D:\ into the FH settings list instead (D:\Lightroom etc) of the whole drive - same result.

Running Windows 10 Pro - latest updates all done!

I'd appreciate any help here

Thanks a lot

Fränk Lehnen, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

Windows 10: Can't Change File History Drive

I have two external hard drives, call them D and E. Until now, since Windows 10, I've done both Windows 7 Backup and Restore and Windows 10 File History on Drive D. Now I want to switch the Windows 10 File History to Drive E and keep backing up Windows 7
    Backup and Restore on Drive D. Both Windows 7 Backup and Restore and Windows 10 File History recognize Drive E. However, when I go to Add-a-Drive and try to choose Drive E for Windows 10 File History (Drive E, again, showing up on the list of choices) Add-a-Drive
    won't recognize Drive E as a choice. I know this because when I thereafter click on "More Options," I'm taken to the File History page which still shows Drive D as the backup drive for File History.

There is also a message on the File History screen: "You're already backing up your files. To stop using your current backup drive, go to Backup and Restore." But in Backup and Restore, there's no way to turn off Windows 10 File History without turning off
    Windows 7 Backup and Restore. Nor does there appear to be any way to stop either program dead in its tracks and start all over again fresh. It seems on the surface to be a relatively simple problem but I can't get my head around it and would most appreciate
    some help.

Artur Püdel, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

1. Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working - Similar Threads - file history backup

2. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  3. How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I get File History to backup files on thr D:/ drive: How can I get File History to backup files on the D:/ drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-get-file-history-to-backup-files-on-thr/e233f48b-7cab-4cd3-ba60-290dfaff8f42
  4. Windows 11 file history - D Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file history - D Drive: I now have Windows 11 Pro, I want to use File history to back up my files automatically onto a external hard drive. I used to do this on my old Windows 10 Computer and it worked great. Issue I have is my software is on my C drive and my files are saved on my 4TB internal D...
  5. Windows 11 file history - D Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file history - D Drive: I now have Windows 11 Pro, I want to use File history to back up my files automatically onto a external hard drive. I used to do this on my old Windows 10 Computer and it worked great. Issue I have is my software is on my C drive and my files are saved on my 4TB internal D...
  6. backup and "file history drive is disconnected"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup and "file history drive is disconnected": Cannot backup due to "file history drive is disconnected", cannot even manual backup even though File Explorer shows external drive is active. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-file-history-drive-is-disconnected/9cf94ae3-6d24-4a02-9546-45658511b850
  7. Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 file history backup for drive D not working: Hi everyone: I'm trying to set up a File History backup from a Windows 10 desktop to an external 4TB hard drive. I have a large internal 1TB drive D: that I've redirected all my user folders to (documents, desktop, pictures, music, etc.) so for convenience I want to just...
  8. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  9. File History not working with internal backup drives.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History not working with internal backup drives.: I have been reading the MANY posts about File History not working. I have 4 different machines and have been trying to get it to work on each of them with no luck, including V 1809. I have started and set to Auto (Delayed Start) all of the services for Software Protection,...
  10. Windows 10 File History backup not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 File History backup not working: I want to back up my Windows 10 laptop using the built-in Windows back up facility. All of the advice I have read on the internet suggest the use of File History. I have a Western Digital 500GB USB hard drive which I attached to the laptop and followed the advice on the...