Windows 10: Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...

Discus and support Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a 1Tb external hard drive which I would like to use as the backup drive. I have a separate 4Tb external hard drive on which I store... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesSJ, Feb 17, 2021.

1. JamesSJ Win User

Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...

I have a 1Tb external hard drive which I would like to use as the backup drive.

I have a separate 4Tb external hard drive on which I store information. This hard drive is encrypted. There is also a separately encrypted volume within the hard drive. Both the hard drive and the volume within are properly mounted.

Under "Back Up Options" in Windows 10, I select "Add a Folder" and attempt to include the 4Tb external hard drive to the backup. I received the following error message on all attempts:

"Sorry, but that didn't work. To find out more, look up error code 0x80070032."

I later attempted to do the same with a folder in the 4Tb drive, with the encrypted volume within the 4Tb drive, and then with a folder within the encrypted volume within the 4Tb drive. All return the same error message.

I have attempted to fix the issue using Windows Troubleshooter in regard to a purported in a forum here Windows Update issue. The Troubleshooter resolved an issue. Afterward, I checked for any new updates; there were none. I restarted the computer and tried the above again, but to no avail. I ran the troubleshooter again but it didn't detect any further errors.

I have had no success. Please help.

Thank you,

:)

JamesSJ, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Joolz Win User

Can't add folder in Windows 10 file history - problem 0x80070032

So I have file history on and working.
    If I enter file history options via Start menu/settings/update & security/backup/more options/
    there is a list of folders under "back up these folders" all prefixed c:\users"myname"
    Above this is an "add a folder" option. When I click on this and choose a folder that isn't under the "users" folder I get an error saying "Sorry, but that didn't work. To find out more, look up error code 0x80070032"
    Now I've looked up this error code but nothing I've found relates to file history.
    I'm only trying to include a seperate folder on a local drive.
    I've read file history will only backup folders in Libraries and documents so why is there an option to "add a folder"?
    I've tried adding the particular folder to a library but when trying to add that library under the "add a folder" it says you are trying to add a library you need to add a folder???
    Been working on this for a day now and going round in circles.
    If anyone can help that would be marvellous

Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External... [​IMG]

Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External... [​IMG]

Joolz, Feb 17, 2021
  3. TalonK Win User
    File history error when adding a folder to backup list.

I setup file history on a friends PC today and it appears to be working with the default backup list.

His PC has a second hard drive in it that contains about 200 GB of photos, when I try and add this folder to the backup list I get an error 0x80070032.

Just to test I tried adding the folder to the exclude list and it allowed me to add it there without issue.

I removed it from the exclude list and tried again to add it to the backup list and got the same error message.

Any ideas of what to look for?

Thanks,

Ken

TalonK, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...

After Windows 10 issues, I returned system to 8.1 and reinstalled Windows 10 update. Prior to this I backed up files with File History to an external drive.

<Original title: File History backup files.>

After Windows 10 issues, I returned system to 8.1 and reinstalled Windows 10 update. Prior to this I backed up files with File History to an external drive. When I had the system ready to go and reinstalled removes programs, I connected my external drive
    and turned on File History. Now attempting recover previous backed up files, File history will not allow me to go back to an earlier backup. There is 30 g + of data on my external drive (many earlier backups) so I know the files are there.

RobertLinkletter, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External...

1. Windows 10 File History Backup Returns 0x80070032 Error When Attempting to Add External... - Similar Threads - File History Backup

2. Fix 0x80070032 Backup Error on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix 0x80070032 Backup Error on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When trying to set Automatic Files backups (Settings > Backup > Automatically back up my files), if you receive an error — Sorry, but that didn’t work. To find out more, look up error code 0x80070032 — then this post will help you resolve the Backup Error on Windows...
  3. Error Code 0x80070032 when trying to add folders to backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error Code 0x80070032 when trying to add folders to backup: After every backup attempt I get a notice that the backup did not complete. I opened up the backup settings and tried to add some folders from an external drive. I got a "Sorry, but that didn't work. To find out more, look up Error Code 0x80070032".I have 3 other External...
  4. Error Code 0x80070032 when trying to add folders to backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error Code 0x80070032 when trying to add folders to backup: After every backup attempt I get a notice that the backup did not complete. I opened up the backup settings and tried to add some folders from an external drive. I got a "Sorry, but that didn't work. To find out more, look up Error Code 0x80070032".I have 3 other External...
  5. Add an external drive to File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Add an external drive to File History: Windows 10 1909 I've added an external data drive to my system, and would like the files to be backed up using File History. It doesn't seem to matter if I select the drive, or individual folders on the drive, back up data never shows up. Is this something File History...
  6. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  7. Error Code 0x80070032 on Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup

Error Code 0x80070032 on Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup: Hello ! Facing this error when trying to add D:\ exFAT drive to Backup to an external USB Drive, could add C:\ drive NTFS Please assist. [IMG] Regards, royashish....
  8. Error code 0x80070032 when creating Backup to an External drive

Error code 0x80070032 when creating Backup to an External drive: I get the above referenced error code when trying to set up a backup to an external hard drive. Specifically, I am trying to back up files on a server from my desktop. ***Modified title from: Error code 0x80070032***...
  9. Windows 10 error 0x80070032

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 error 0x80070032: When making a Restore Point it says "Could not create the scheduled task for the following reason: The request is not supported. (0x80070032)". I want to make a Restore Point which is 10% (93.08 GB) and I have a 2TB hard drive. This is getting irritating....
  10. Can't add folder in Windows 10 file history - problem 0x80070032

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't add folder in Windows 10 file history - problem 0x80070032: So I have file history on and working. If I enter file history options via Start menu/settings/update & security/backup/more options/ there is a list of folders under "back up these folders" all prefixed c:\users"myname" Above this is an "add a folder" option. When I click...
Tags: