Windows 10: Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

Discus and support Windows 10 File History creating duplicates? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CalvinEHilton, May 7, 2019.

1. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change.

Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.?

Currently running 1803.

***Moved From: Windows 10/Files, folders, & storage***

:)

CalvinEHilton, May 7, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, May 7, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 7, 2019
  4. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern and how annoying it could be. However, we would need some more information regarding the issue.

1. Was there any major change on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    2. Which build of Windows 10 are you currently on? You can refer to Which Windows operating system
      am I running?

In the meantime, we would suggest you to follow the methods mentioned below and check if it resolves the issue.

Method 1: Re-configure File history set up.

1. Open Control Panel by searching for it in search bar.
    2. Click on System and Security >
      File History
      > Turn Off.
    3. Then go to Settings > Update & Security >
      Backup (on the left pane) > More options >
      Stop using this drive
    4. Delete the File History folder in your drive.
    5. Then try to set up File History again and check.

Method 2: Check for Windows Updates.

Please refer
    Update Windows 10
    and check if there are any updates pending. If yes, try updating Windows.

Method 3: Create new user account (If the issue still persists, it might be because of user profile corruption).

Please refer to
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    and try creating new user account and check.

Regards,

Manjunath_H, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

1. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates? - Similar Threads - File History creating

2. Duplicate backups maintained in File History.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Duplicate backups maintained in File History.: My computer is names "MYCOMPUTER". Why does File History maintain a Folder called "MYCOMPUTER" under folder "USER" which is under folder "FILEHISTORY", and hen another folder "MYCOMPUTER" on the backup drive. It looks like a duplicate....
  3. File History has created a duplicate directory?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History has created a duplicate directory?: I'm using File History to backup to an NAS. I noticed two days ago a duplicate directory has been created on the NAS at: > ThisPC > Data (\\NAS) (L:) > sxxxe So now in that location I have: JAY-DESKTOPDELL JAY-DESKTOPDELL (2) Why is there now a duplicate directory and how...
  4. Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File History creating duplicates?: I tried to use File History under Windows 8.1 but gave up because it filled up my backup drive with unwanted duplicates of files that didn't change. Has Microsoft solved this problem for Windows 10.? Currently running 1803....
  5. Backup files that Windows creates with file history

Backup files that Windows creates with file history: Does anyone know where I can see the created Backup files that Windows creates with the file history function?? I defined my file history to backup to NAS, but I can't find the files there and also found no function to see the used share in the settings... *Think 127246
  6. File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10

File duplicating issue with File History, Windows 10: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  7. File history forgets locations, duplicates files

File history forgets locations, duplicates files: I've now experienced on multiple occasions that Windows 10 File History will, always on major updates but also randomly in-between, forget backed up folders (say for example, "D:\Lightroom\Photos"). That's of course completely inacceptable in itself because that means the...
  8. Windows 10 Update History Duplicated

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Update History Duplicated: Windows Update history in Setting app is duplicated for each update installed , after downloading the update and just before starting install it the history show that update is failed to install , then the update start installing correctly and after installing successfully...
  9. Create File History shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create File History shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create File History shortcut in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a...
  10. File History - Duplicates

File History - Duplicates: So I've become suspicious on why my 3TB HDD all of a sudden has got around 900GB left, even though I have around 300GB of user data (Most not updated regularly). So I turn to file history and try to figure out what the hell is going on and have realized this thing is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop file history making duplicates after version upgrade