Windows 10: Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste) all of existing File History to another...

Discus and support Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste) all of existing File History to another... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have an external drive with File History set to "forever". The drive is rapidly running out of space. I would like to move the entire... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Roy_296, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Roy_296 Win User

Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste) all of existing File History to another...

Hello,

I have an external drive with File History set to "forever". The drive is rapidly running out of space. I would like to move the entire contents of File History (~110GB) to a new external drive, and then seamlessly resume backups from the new drive. By "move", I mean add the existing File History to the new drive, then delete it from the old drive to free up space there.

I presume these are the steps in order, can somebody confirm and provide instructions on how to execute?:

(1) turn off File History on old drive

(2) copy it from old drive to new drive

(3) delete file history from old drive

(4) turn on File History on new drive (this time with retention of a few months, instead of the old "Forever")

I also have a "OWNER-PC" icon in the root of the drive, containing a "Backup Set" folder. I don't believe it's related to File History. It's dated from 9 months ago, I'm guessing that was from when I moved from Windows 7 to 10. So probably save to Shift-Delete? Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste)  all of existing File History to another... 5e85fc9b-199b-4c58-8067-17ff87a722d2?upload=true.png

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage]

:)

Roy_296, Sep 27, 2018
  2. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Sep 27, 2018
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Rohn007, Sep 27, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste) all of existing File History to another...

File History

Hi Anastasia,

File History creates a backup of your files automatically and stores the backup on an external hard drive. It might be disconnected for too long that may cause interruption. To address your inquiry, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reconnect your File History drive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 File History: How do I move (cut&paste) all of existing File History to another... - Similar Threads - File History move

2. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  3. File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History in Windows 10. Why doesn't File History show all my folders?: Why doesn't File History show all my folders? To find my backed up file I followed the suggested path: Settings / Restore files from a current backup / One Drive etc.But only about two thirds of my One Drive folders were available.Eventually I tracked down the folder that I...
  4. File History not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History not working at all: I recently bought a 1 terabyte hard drive for backing up my pc. It has been fully initialized and functions, and I know it functions because I used Crystal Disk Mark to check the speed of the drive. I tried to use File History in Windows 11 to back up my pc to the drive, but...
  5. File History not working at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History not working at all: I recently bought a 1 terabyte hard drive for backing up my pc. It has been fully initialized and functions, and I know it functions because I used Crystal Disk Mark to check the speed of the drive. I tried to use File History in Windows 11 to back up my pc to the drive, but...
  6. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  7. File History vs Copy & Paste

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History vs Copy & Paste: I am currently using a copy and paste method for backing up my hard drives to EHD devices. I have to split my data between 2 EHD devices because of the large amount of data. If I copy and paste the biggest folders, it can take over 12 hours to copy each of the four. If I...
  8. File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History: how do I remove all tracked folders?: Does someone use File History? By default File History is tracking a lot of folders and I find it really annoying to remove them one-by-one. Is there any way to remove them all? Only desktop content is critical for me, so I don't see why should be there anything else. BTW,...
  9. How do I reconnect file history ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I reconnect file history ?: How do I reconnect file history? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reconnect-file-history/544c11a1-b430-404c-b7e7-fc3ea2e40516
  10. Moving File History Folder

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Moving File History Folder: I have my File History on a physical internal hard drive that is now almost completely full. I wanted to know if I could move the entire fie history to a newer and much larger drive? I understand I can create a new File History drive but I'm assuming in doing this I will...