Windows 10: Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing?

Discus and support Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have set up two computers in a common workgroup. One runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The other - brand new workstation - runs Windows 10... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by joselso, Feb 10, 2021.

1. joselso Win User

Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing?

I have set up two computers in a common workgroup. One runs Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The other - brand new workstation - runs Windows 10 Professional for Workstations.

In each computer I turned on sharing in all types of networks, and turned on password protected sharing.

Then, when I use Windows 10 file explorer to look at Network - other Windows 7 computer name, it naturally requires login with one of the other computer usernames and password, and then it allows me to browse only among files and folders marked Public and those belonging to that username.

Not so the other way round: when I use Windws 7 Windows explorer to look at Network - other Windows 10 computer name, it immediately without any login allows me to browse freely among all files and folders belonging to all the users of the Windows 10 computer as well as those marked Public.

So, what has gone wrong with Password-Protected sharing in Windows 10 Pro for Workstations?

Please advise.

:)

joselso, Feb 10, 2021
  2. Mussels Win User

Windows File share bug (7 and vista)

Short version.

We have an internet PC in the house, which downloads into a shared folder on the network for everyone to access the files.

Since its on one of my machines, when i access the share it uses my username and i see all updated files and everythings happy.

When other people access, they either use "everyone" (vista) or "homegroup" (7) as permissions, and they only see files added BEFORE the share was created. If i download new files, i have to un-share and re-share the entire folder (which sucks) for them to see the latest files.

Someone else has had this problem, here.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? its pissing me off having to reshare the same folder every day. (FWIW, i had this issue on this machine when it was on vista, and the problem is still there on 7)

Mussels, Feb 10, 2021
  3. puma99dk| Win User
    puma99dk|, Feb 10, 2021
  4. Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing?

SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing?

1. Windows 10 File-Sharing less protective than Window 7 File-Sharing? - Similar Threads - File Sharing less

2. file sharing windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file sharing windows 10: I finally had networking working on windows 10 but suddenly it's think the other PC is a "media device" again. Do Microsoft know how frustrating they have made it trying to share files between 2 pcs it should be so simple!Makes me repeatedly bang my head on my desk as the...
  3. file sharing windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file sharing windows 10: I finally had networking working on windows 10 but suddenly it's think the other PC is a "media device" again. Do Microsoft know how frustrating they have made it trying to share files between 2 pcs it should be so simple!Makes me repeatedly bang my head on my desk as the...
  4. Windows 10 - File Share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - File Share: I am trying to give access to my Pictures Folder on my Desktop to another pc on the home network. When I give permission on the desktop to that one folder the other pc can see all my files from User down. I have tried this 3 times with the same result. Help! All W10 updates...
  5. File Sharing in Windows 10

File Sharing in Windows 10: Hey, I'm having some issues with File Sharing over a network now. I have 2 computers: a desktop with Windows 10 Pro, a Laptop with W10Home, both logged in with the same Windows account. I was able to get a File Share up and running on my laptop, which can be accessed by any...
  6. File sharing in Windows 10

File sharing in Windows 10: I just replaced a Windows 7 computer with a new Windows 10 computer, and I am having trouble sharing files with my other Windows 10 computer. I have a folder set to be shared with Everyone, and I have turned off password protected sharing. Now, if I type \\Computer\Folder...
  7. File sharing on Windows 10

File sharing on Windows 10: I am trying to share files between a desktop and a laptop, both on Windows 10. Both computer names appear as being on the local network (displayed in "Network" on Windows File Explorer) on each machine. Attempting to access one from the other results in a request for...
  8. Windows 10 File Sharing

Windows 10 File Sharing: Hello, I'm currently using an old Windows 10 PC as a home file server, the server has one main share that all users can access, as well as personal shares that only the specified user can access. When I go to mount the server on my PC all the shares show up, I can't access...
  9. Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing

Windows 10 and Windows 7 File Sharing: I have 5 computers on a home network. One of the computers is Windows 10, the other 4 are Windows 7. All the Windows 7 computers are able to open and transfer files and folders. Even though the Windows 10 computer can see folders on the Windows 7 computers, and vise...
  10. Windows 10 and Windows 7 sharing files

Windows 10 and Windows 7 sharing files: Hi guys, I am running Windows 10 and Windows 7 on 2 partions. I am working on a website that is on local using wamp server. How can I share folder between two windows when I login to another system files are synced on both. Is this achievable? 20717