Windows 10: Windows 10 File Sharing on local network

Discus and support Windows 10 File Sharing on local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my home network there are two PCs - call them A and B. Each PC has two user accounts - call them 1 and 2. The same user -name and login password is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr_Nemo, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Mr_Nemo Win User

Windows 10 File Sharing on local network

On my home network there are two PCs - call them A and B. Each PC has two user accounts - call them 1 and 2. The same user -name and login password is used on both PCs. Both PCs are running "Windows 10 Home" - no other version information is given in Control Panel/System.

Both PCs were set up originally so that either user on either computer could see their own files and also PUBLIC files on either computer. Recently , for some unknown reason, this has changed to a situation where - when using File Explorer and selecting the Network folder - users on computer A can see computer B and its folders, but users on computer B can NOT see A. So users on A can access files on B, but users on B can not access A.

I have put the two PCs side-by-side and checked all the Network Sharing options and they are identical on both PCs.

Can anyone think of something that I may have overlooked please?

:)

Mr_Nemo, Sep 30, 2018
  2. sml156 Win User

Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10

Hi Brink great tutorial as usual.

I could not help but notice in step 1 you say to enable " Function Discovery Resource Publication "

In most of the posts I have read on Ten Forums they also suggest to enable " Function Discovery Provider Host "

Are you suggesting that Function Discovery Provider Host is not necessary.

Windows 10 File Sharing on local network [​IMG]

sml156, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Windows 10 File Sharing on local network

File sharing over local network

Hello Larry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue:

Method 1:
    Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows10 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the Network Adapter Settings on the computer. It also checks if the network adapter drivers are up to date or not. It may
    also provide you some clue about the hardware failures happening to the Network Adapter. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Network Adapter”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Once after running the troubleshooters, check troubleshooting reports and let’s know the details. You may also try out the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

You may also try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Network Card Drivers from the computer/network card manufacturer’s website and check the status of the issue.

Method 2: Uninstall and Reinstall the Network Card Drivers.

Step 1: Uninstall the Network Adapter Drivers

• Right click on Start menu.
    • Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
    • Search for the Network Adapter from the device list, right click on it and then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then
      remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and the restart the computer if prompted.
    After the restart, please go ahead with the next steps to install the latest drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Step 2: Go to the Computer or Network Card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Network Card model and then install it by following the instructions
    given in the website.

You may also refer to the articles given below, try the suggestions given in them and check if that helps:

Wired and wireless network problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/...3&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

(Applicable for windows 10 also.)

Please wait while the system check for the updates. If updates are found, click on Install updates.

Hope the information helps to fix the issue, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 File Sharing on local network

1. Windows 10 File Sharing on local network - Similar Threads - File Sharing local

2. Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11: Hi,I'm having an issue sharing files between two computers on my home wifi network.I have two PC's one downstairs and one upstairs, both with Win 11 Pro and using the same account.I have set these up to share over a private network in network and in control panel. When I look...
  3. Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11: Hi,I'm having an issue sharing files between two computers on my home wifi network.I have two PC's one downstairs and one upstairs, both with Win 11 Pro and using the same account.I have set these up to share over a private network in network and in control panel. When I look...
  4. File Sharing Over a local network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  5. Windows 10 Network File Sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Network File Sharing: Is there any lightweight alternative for network file sharing? Current Windows 10 file sharing so unreliable and breaks so easily that i'm frankly sick of it. It seems every feature update it breaks in some way or another with some computers not being visible and/or...
  6. Unable to share files on local network

Unable to share files on local network: Why has Microsoft disabled the file sharing capabilities for home users? Ever since Homegroups were tossed out, sharing files between our families PC's has become a real challenge. This time of year tax time makes this really frustrating as - being the "accountant" for our...
  7. File sharing issue on a local Network

File sharing issue on a local Network: I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being able to browse each others files, so I can use the local network to transfer files both ways I tried giving all...
  8. Local file sharing via Ethernet network with Windows 10

Local file sharing via Ethernet network with Windows 10: I have a PC with upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 ver 1909 Build 18363.592. I also have a laptop with a new install Windows 10 Home ver 1903 build 18362.592. They are the only workstations on a home network connected via Ethernet. They both use Norton Internet...
  9. Warning popups for files shared on a local network node

Warning popups for files shared on a local network node: I want to shut off the warning popups I get about files from another node on my local private ethernet network. This happens in Windows 10 Pro version 1803, OS build 17134.165....
  10. Data Sharing on a local network

Data Sharing on a local network: Good Morning, I decided to register an account here, as i think this forum is interesting because i had an opportunity to search some tutorials and see some threads in the forum, so i'm new here. I also decided to create this post, since i have a problem i can't seem to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. local network file sharing

2. windows 10 local private network file sharing