Windows 10: Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app

Discus and support Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Goodday all, I have a problem in Windows 10. On mij laptop I have present a file type .sfv This is for checking another files originality (file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Master Burn, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app

Goodday all,

I have a problem in Windows 10.

On mij laptop I have present a file type .sfv

This is for checking another files originality (file verification file), nothing weird about it.

On my laptop I also have present FlashSfv, a small .sfv file checker. It is just a small .exe file, no installation needed.

This is an app for checking files by opening the .sfv file, it shows weather the target file is original or has been altered.

My problem:

I want to link the app to the file extension so it is associated with it and will automatically open when I double click the sfv file.

However this does not work. I can't associate it as a standard app. Windows simply doesn't accept that. Not through properties of the file and not through app settings in Windows. The icon doesn't change either. Besides that the file extension isn't shown in the complete file extension list in Windows settings under apps --> standard app per file type.

My other Windows 10 laptop has no problem with it whatsoever and does show the file extension in the list.

How to solve this issue, because now I everytime have to manually open it by a detour and that is annoying.

Greetz, Master

Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app b4705fc1-d3a7-40f1-94d2-1652837a6b24?upload=true.jpg

:)

Master Burn, Dec 1, 2018
  2. CherylA Win User

Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Dec 1, 2018
  3. mandala Win User
    File Type php Missing in Windows File Association Settings

I would like to associate the php file format with a text editor utility such as Sublime Text. When I attempt to "always open file type with Sublime Text" via the context menu in Windows Explorer, it does not work. When I open Settings > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type, the php file format appears to be missing from the list - see screenshot. I expected it to be listed below the .php3 file type.

On a related note, I was also unable to associate the css and html file types with Sublime Text (or any other software) via Windows Explorer. I was able to work around this by using the FileTypesMan utility. However, the FileTypesMan utility is not able to associate php files either. Please advise. TIA.

mandala, Dec 1, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app

Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

Have you tried simply rt clicking the column header, adding 'File Extension' and sorting by that?

Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app [​IMG]

Noted that for (e.g.) jpg files, by default
    in explorer Type = jpg file
    in filetypesman = jpeg file, JPEG image

whereas for
    ico and ani files the Description in filetypesman corresponds with that shown in explorer.

Suggests that shown for some file types is hard coded in Windows?

dalchina, Dec 1, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app

1. Windows 10 file type not shown and unable to associate standard app - Similar Threads - file type shown

2. Unable to associate .jpg files with an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to associate .jpg files with an app: I have Windows 11 home. I have many image files on a flash drive some of which are .jpg files. In Control Panel there is no .jpg entry for me to change the default application. Also, when I right click on the file, click More Options, click Open With, then Irfanview, there is...
  3. Unable to associate .jpg files with an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to associate .jpg files with an app: I have Windows 11 home. I have many image files on a flash drive some of which are .jpg files. In Control Panel there is no .jpg entry for me to change the default application. Also, when I right click on the file, click More Options, click Open With, then Irfanview, there is...
  4. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  5. File Type Associations

File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  6. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  7. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  8. Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Blocking Standard user from changing file type associations: Is there a way to block standard users from changing file type associations when asked? in GPO or what ever way 149207
  9. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  10. Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts

Unable to associate extensions/file types with BAT scripts: Using the assoc and ftype commands, I was always been able to associate certain extensions/filetypes with certain Batch scripts. But, this didn't appear to be be working in Windows 10. The following commands (run in a Admin command prompt) work fine in Windows 8.1 but not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro zip file is not shown

2. how to add a file type not shown in windows 10