Windows 10: Windows 10 file write performance

Discus and support Windows 10 file write performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was recently following the excellent tutorials on using Macrium Reflect free. I successfully created a clean windows install (using yet another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pejole2165, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 file write performance

I was recently following the excellent tutorials on using Macrium Reflect free. I successfully created a clean windows install (using yet another excellent tutorial), updated all drivers, installed all patches and applications.
    I then used the Macrium boot USB to start my desktop and created an image of this perfect install to an external HDD. The process worked without a hitch.
    However I have noticed something peculiar, under the Macrium boot OS, the write speed of the external HDD is quoted as 503Mbs (365Mbs was the slowest write speed). My entire 33Gb install was imaged in just under 11 minutes.
    Once back in Windows I decided to copy the image I had made to another partition as a backup, Windows reports the write speed of the external HDD as 20Mbs max, and quite often well below 8Mbs. The copy operation took well over half an hour.
    So why the difference? Is the overhead for Windows 10 really that bad? And what if anything can I do to improve the performance?

:)

Pejole2165, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

No, that > bla.txt is the target file to write to. You could use a wildcard in the argument, ie c:\windows\*.txt which would list all dlls in c:\windows. But adding that to a simple right-click would be tricky.

Basically you would execute fancyfile.bat c:\windows\*.txt, fancyfile.bat would then write all .txt files to bla.txt.

DanTheBanjoman, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 file write performance

Performance issues with File Explorer in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if this helps.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left side panel.

• Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

I also suggest you to install the latest Windows updates and check.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

• Hit Windows Key and type

• Type Windows Updates

• Click on Windows Updates

• Click on Check for updates
      and install the latest windows updates.
    Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 file write performance

1. Windows 10 file write performance - Similar Threads - file write performance

2. write letter windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    write letter windows 10: how to write letters to print or save https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-letter-windows-10/2ab748f2-8666-4b62-ba0c-d20d20d0bcaf"
  3. Performance, Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Performance, Windows 10: As soon as I minimize any window in my Windows 10, the programme automatically shuts itself. What are the possible issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/performance-windows-10/cf579e34-49cf-4993-83ff-5738e5757542
  4. Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to perform a backup due to report that pastport is "write preotected": Using a conventional 2 TB hard disk for backup, and scheduling backup every day, The backup fails, reporting that the hard disk is write protected. This started several weeks ago....
  5. Error opening file for writing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error opening file for writing: I am trying to download Picasa 3 as I accidently removed from my apps. It keeps saying error opening file for writing. I want to cry. I love this editing software and have pictures I need to get done....
  6. Fix Error opening file for writing on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Error opening file for writing on Windows 10: [ATTACH] If when running a setup file for installing the software you receive message Error opening file for writing on your Windows 10/8/7 then this post will help you fix the problem. This can occur when running a setup file for [...] This post Fix Error opening file for...
  7. Poor SSD write performance, help needed to solve this.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Poor SSD write performance, help needed to solve this.: Alright, SO this is continuing from another thread, as the issue in the title of the old one is fixed. I hav a Sandisk SSD plus 240 gb, it has over 86 gb free 95% life left (according to the sandisk dashboard), drivers for ssd/firmware are up to date, I've updated my...
  8. Poor SSD write performance, help needed to solve this.

in Windows 10 Support
    Poor SSD write performance, help needed to solve this.: Alright, SO this is continuing from another thread, as the issue in the title of the old one is fixed. I hav a Sandisk SSD plus 240 gb, it has over 86 gb free 95% life left (according to the sandisk dashboard), drivers for ssd/firmware are up to date, I've updated my...
  9. Write Answer in a PDF-file:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write Answer in a PDF-file:: Why can I not Write answers in a PDF-document? I have received a dokument where I have to answer questions and reply. But - I cannot write the answers in the dokument. It only turns blue - Why??? What shall I do to make it work? It is an important dokument.... Thank...
  10. Writing File to \Windows\System32 denied. Workaround?

in Windows 10 Support
    Writing File to \Windows\System32 denied. Workaround?: This may be in the wrong section of the forum. If so, I apologize. I have changed the icons on my desktop to get rid of the shortcut arrow. That worked fine except that the icon now has a small outline where the arrow should be. I have a blank.ico file that I used in...