Windows 10: Windows 10 file write performance

Discus and support Windows 10 file write performance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was recently following the excellent tutorials on using Macrium Reflect free. I successfully created a clean windows install (using yet another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pejole2165, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 file write performance

I was recently following the excellent tutorials on using Macrium Reflect free. I successfully created a clean windows install (using yet another excellent tutorial), updated all drivers, installed all patches and applications.
    I then used the Macrium boot USB to start my desktop and created an image of this perfect install to an external HDD. The process worked without a hitch.
    However I have noticed something peculiar, under the Macrium boot OS, the write speed of the external HDD is quoted as 503Mbs (365Mbs was the slowest write speed). My entire 33Gb install was imaged in just under 11 minutes.
    Once back in Windows I decided to copy the image I had made to another partition as a backup, Windows reports the write speed of the external HDD as 20Mbs max, and quite often well below 8Mbs. The copy operation took well over half an hour.
    So why the difference? Is the overhead for Windows 10 really that bad? And what if anything can I do to improve the performance?

:)

Pejole2165, Jun 9, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 9, 2019
  3. Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

No, that > bla.txt is the target file to write to. You could use a wildcard in the argument, ie c:\windows\*.txt which would list all dlls in c:\windows. But adding that to a simple right-click would be tricky.

Basically you would execute fancyfile.bat c:\windows\*.txt, fancyfile.bat would then write all .txt files to bla.txt.

DanTheBanjoman, Jun 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 file write performance

Performance issues with File Explorer in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if this helps.

I would suggest you to perform System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please follow the steps to perform System maintenance check to improve performance of the computer:

• Press Windows and x key together and select Control Panel.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left side panel.

• Click on System Maintenance and follow the onscreen instructions.

I also suggest you to install the latest Windows updates and check.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

• Hit Windows Key and type

• Type Windows Updates

• Click on Windows Updates

• Click on Check for updates
      and install the latest windows updates.
    Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Jun 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 file write performance

1. Windows 10 file write performance - Similar Threads - file write performance

2. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of three internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task...
  3. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of three internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task...
  4. Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10: Write performance of MS Storage Space: I have a storage space that consists of two internal Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 drives. They are set up as a single drive with no redundancy.If I copy files from this I get about 200 MB/s performance. When I write to this space I get about 40 MB/s performance.Task Manager...
  5. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10: I know this question had been posted hundreds of time, I've read through a dozen discussions/questions and none of them resolve the issue.I cannot edit mp3 file metadata on Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1586I right click on the mp3 file -> properties -> details and...
  6. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10: I know this question had been posted hundreds of time, I've read through a dozen discussions/questions and none of them resolve the issue.I cannot edit mp3 file metadata on Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1586I right click on the mp3 file -> properties -> details and...
  7. Cannot write file metadata on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Macrium write performance.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium write performance.: Which setting is for the best performance for creating an image? File system cache or direct disk I/O, bit confused here. [img] OS 2004 build 19645.1 Thanks. 158231
  9. NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled

NVME write performance with Bitlocker enabled: Dear Community, I have installed a Corsair Force 510 480GB NVME drive, installed Windows 10 Pro on it and tested the performance with CrystalDiskMark. Sequential Read of 1GB files: 3500MB/sec Sequential Write of 1GB files: 2200MB/sec Then I enabled Bitlocker for the...
  10. Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear

Windows 10 disk write performance unstady / not linear: Hello everyone, I am frustrated and hope that somebody an point me to the right direction looking for a solution on this one: When writing to any harddrive (may it be an Intel software RAID0, a dynamic disk RAID0, a parity Storage Space or any other disk (even iSCSI)) my...