Windows 10: Windows 10 files disapeared

Discus and support Windows 10 files disapeared in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 on April 21st on my Toshiba Satellite computer. Since then I have downloaded photos from my iPhone and created new word... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lees, May 11, 2016.

1. lees Win User

Windows 10 files disapeared

I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 on April 21st on my Toshiba Satellite computer. Since then I have downloaded photos from my iPhone and created new word documents using windows 10. This morning I open my computer and the desktop has gone back to windows 7 with all my old icons. But my computer is still operating windows 10 as the blue tiles are there in the left corner of my screen, Cortana etc. I just cannot find any of the new files that I created with windows 10!! I have searched everywhere, I have even called Best Buy Geek Squad and they have no clue. Can anyone please help? I need these files back, they are priceless photos of my kids*Sad

:)

2. YoungjaeKim, May 11, 2016
  3. About activation I have some issues I think...

I understand so in time the windows 10 pro insider prewiew evaluation copy.build 10532 will disapear and my windows will still be activated?

cristiandrei, May 11, 2016
  4. mrgeek Win User

It sounds like your local profile did not load properly and computer restarted with temp profile (which too quickly displays a notification that all files and changes will be lost when signed out). Hopefully, you did the downloads from your iPhone to your admin profile with the normal desktop. Try this - Click Start/Sign out or Switch User. Find your normal admin account and sign in. Your desktop should replace the minimal desktop.

In the future, I would NEVER place files on my desktop. I would put them in a This PC folder like Music, Pictures, Documents, etc and place shortcuts to the folders or files, NEVER the actual file, in case something like this pops up. I have had it happen to me occasionally with a failed program or update install where I find my normal desktop has changed.

Also, if the files are 'priceless' they should be IMMEDIATELY backed up to a usb stick, ext hard drive or a cloud, like OneDrive or Dropbox. Good Luck.

mrgeek, May 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 files disapeared - Similar Threads - files disapeared

2. File Explorer folders and/or tabs are not restored after I restart my computer. This is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer folders and/or tabs are not restored after I restart my computer. This is...: I tried all the fixes suggested online, but nothing helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-folders-andor-tabs-are-not-restored/b66f1254-4f39-400f-81bd-f8b32b7e2112
  3. File Explorer folders and/or tabs are not restored after I restart my computer. This is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer folders and/or tabs are not restored after I restart my computer. This is...: I tried all the fixes suggested online, but nothing helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-folders-andor-tabs-are-not-restored/b66f1254-4f39-400f-81bd-f8b32b7e2112
  4. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  5. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem taking ownership / opening locked files: Hi,I'm having real trouble trying to open the files inside a folder of jpg images. At some point during transferring HDDs from machine to machine, they became inaccessible to me.I have tried all the usual advice of changing ownership in the advanced security settings and have...
  6. Problem taking ownership / opening locked files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Files suddenly disapear on Windows

Files suddenly disapear on Windows: Hello, I have a big problem for my work : sometimes some files or folders disapear from windows. The last time it happend to me, I was working on Blender files 3D software and I exported some images from it. I restarted my computer couple of hours after, and I realised that...
  8. disapearing files

disapearing files: windows 10 - copied 5 files then pasted to USB. Now files do not appear on USB or computer. On computer there are red marks on folder where I copied the files from - Any idea -Barry...
  9. Files from my documents folder disapeared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files from my documents folder disapeared.: After uninstalling several programs, I started up my computer to find all of my files only in the my documents folder to be gone. I did not back up these files; they are not files I need but would like to have. I ran a system restore but it only brought the few files...
  10. my windows program files disapeared, and now when i start my pc, it boots up in sasfe mode,...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    my windows program files disapeared, and now when i start my pc, it boots up in sasfe mode,...: does anyone know where my windows program files went, and how do boot without safe mode?. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-program-files-disapeared-and-now-when-i/02af9166-de54-44f8-be1f-155db1f1652a"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dropbox Windows10 version1809