Windows 10: Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu

Discus and support Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft Community, I am running Windows 10.0.19041 and experiencing an issue where as far I know the following will not open on my computer:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AlaisdairWest, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu

Hi Microsoft Community,

I am running Windows 10.0.19041 and experiencing an issue where as far I know the following will not open on my computer:

• Start Menu
    • Action/Notification Centre
    • Any UWP/Store app including settings, the microsoft store and defender

When attempting to open settings and the microsoft store via the run box I encountered this error message file system error -2144927436.

So far I have attempted running sfc /scannow and dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and restarting on the completion of DISM.

I am aware of other threads with a similar issue but a different code, however the fix has always been that mentioned above DISM and sfc which hasn't worked.

Thankyou in advance!

:)

AlaisdairWest, Dec 22, 2020

2. Unable to access the Start menu and sync mails with error: 0x80070003 on Windows 10

Hello Neil,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the Start menu and syncing the emails on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the Start menu?
    • Are you referring to Mail app/ Windows Live Mail/ Mail client version of Outlook to access emails on your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

For issues with Start menu error message:

I suggest you to refer to the below posts replied by Paul Sey
    on August 21, 2015 and Ravinath P on October 5, 2015 respectively and check if it helps.

Refer: Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana
    aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.

And,

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try
    to fix it the next time you sign in.”

If you are using Windows Mail app to sync mails, try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Follow the below steps to change the Mailbox sync settings.

• Open the Mail app and sign in to your account.
    • Click on the gear icon (Settings) from the bottom left corner.
    • Click on the Accounts under Settings.
    • Click on your account and select Change settings.
    • Click on the Change mailbox sync settings and check in the
      Sync options.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing the Start menu and syncing the mails for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Microsoft Adds Ability to Block Win32 Apps from Install on Windows 10

Yes, UWP is an interpreter, an app running in UWP can't function without the interpreter. Only the UWP core has access to the actual hardware, the app does not.

By not having direct access to the hardware, they perform slower. UWP has to translate everything and make sure it passes safety and security checks.

If UWP has issues, all of the apps running on top of it also will. I've seen that in early release of Windows 10 where all UWP based, Windows-included apps broke (Edge, Calculator, Mail, etc.). Granted, it was only broke in one user account.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu

Windows 10 Start menu won't open

Hi,

As you are unable to access Windows Start menu on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files on your device.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made nay changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu on your device?

I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft help article about Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu
    or Cortana
    try the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu

1. Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436 when opening uwp apps and no access to start menu - Similar Threads - filesystem error 2144927436

2. Error Code -2144927436

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error Code -2144927436: I need to know how to solve this issue as my laptop has practically become an expensive paperweight due to this error. I have tried uninstalling updates. At some point I get stuck on "update failed to uninstall" and I can no longer do anything. The Settings app is completely...
  3. Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 filesystem error -2144927436: Hi I'm getting this error and the following doesn't work all of a sudden Start Button doesn't work Windows settings wont open Most items on toolbar won't work Windows +X or Windows +i don't work video files won't open Audio doesn't work I have attempted...
  4. Can't remove UWP App from Start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't remove UWP App from Start menu: I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed from the Microsoft store and whenever I uninstall it, it stays in my apps list in my start menu. I want it to just go away, how can i remove it? (I just want the shortcut gone even if im not removing the ubuntu files its fine.) submitted by...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing, Start Menu won't open, File system error -2144927436

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing, Start Menu won't open, File system error -2144927436: My laptop went for a Windows 10 update after I restarted, but now it has a lot of problems; I can't seem to open the start menu or use the search bar nothing opens when I click, when I go to certain folders in my File Explorer e.g: Downloads, it crashes immediately. I can't...
  6. uwp apps not opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    uwp apps not opening: most of the universal windows platform apps windows store apps won't open on my pc for some reason, though system apps such as quick assist, windows defender, settings, and windows sandbox do open. is there a reason this happens and a fix for this issue? video demonstration:...
  7. Remove UWP Apps from Start Menu Without Uninstalling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove UWP Apps from Start Menu Without Uninstalling: Hello, I finally made the move to Windows 10 from Windows 7. I'm still adjusting and have found this forum incredibly helpful. I have a question about the UWP apps that come with Windows 10... I would like to remove the icons for the UWP apps from the Start menu. I'd prefer...
  8. UWP Apps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP Apps not opening: Hello, I changed the permissions of the WindowsApps folder, as i was trying to edit some of the files, however now the apps will not open. I am sure that this is not due to me modifying any files. Is there a way to restore the permissions, or what permissions need to be...
  9. Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10: How to: Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 How to Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 The pinned apps (tiles) on the Start screen. This tutorial will show you how to keep the Start menu open when opening multiple apps from the Start...
  10. Spotify UWP app is giving big error when opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spotify UWP app is giving big error when opening: When I try to open the new Spotify UWP app, I get "Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.57.332.0_x86_abunchofrandomcharacters\Sp..."...