Windows 10: Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port

Discus and support Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I already added a rule to the firewall with the port I want to be open. I added it as both TCP and UDP. It just doesn't work. When I disable windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ArcticRazor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port

I already added a rule to the firewall with the port I want to be open. I added it as both TCP and UDP. It just doesn't work.

When I disable windows firewall, the port is open. Why is that?

Here's the exact procedure I did.

Opened Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security

-> Inbound Rule -> New Rule ->Port -> Specific local port ->Allow connection -> checked all 3 boxes.

:)

ArcticRazor, Feb 25, 2020

2. Windows 10 Firewall will not open port

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

If Windows Firewall is blocking an application and you want to allow that application to receive info through the firewall, you can usually do that by selecting the application in the list of allowed applications, as described in the previous section.

However, if the application isn't listed, you might need to open a port (a way for applications to receive info through the firewall).

For example, to play a multiplayer game with friends online, you might need to open a port for the game so that the firewall allows the game info to reach your PC. A port stays open all the time, so be sure to close ports that you don't need open any more.

• Open Windows Firewall by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping
      Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking
      Search), entering firewall in the search box, and then tapping or clicking
      Windows Firewall.

• Tap or click Advanced settings.
      Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port 1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_70.jpg
      You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

• In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security dialogue box, in the left pane, tap or click
      Inbound Rules, then, in the right pane, tap or click New Rule.

• Follow the instructions on your screen.

Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Steevo Win User
    Windows Firewall blocking program even with inbound/outbound rule enabled.

Windows firewall is like a fart when you have squirty dumplings, you shouldn't really trust it.

Disable the private network firewall, if the application works fine do this.

Open a CMD prompt window with admin rights. type in "netstat" without the quotes and press enter. You should get a list of what IP and port is connecting to what port and or service. Open those ports for the application, or just allow those ports to be unfiltered.

Steevo, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port

How to open port in Windows 10 Firewall?

Hi,

Follow the steps below and check if you are able to open a portal in Firewall on the computer.

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control panel from the context menu.
    • Select System and Security from the options and click on
      Windows Firewall from right side panel of the window.
    • Click on Advanced settings and select Inbound Rules from left side panel of the window.
    • Click on New Rule under Actions tab from right side panel and select
      Port radio button from the window.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of opening port in the Windows 10 Firewall on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port

1. Windows 10 firewall won't open/blocks a port - Similar Threads - firewall won't open

2. Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?: I have Windows 11 and am using Xfinity as my ISP. I have port forwarded Port 2346 in my router.In Defender Firewall I have set up an Inbound Rule for Port 2346 to "Allow the connection."Defender Firewall is still blocking the port. I know it is Defender Firewall because if I...
  3. Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?: I have Windows 11 and am using Xfinity as my ISP. I have port forwarded Port 2346 in my router.In Defender Firewall I have set up an Inbound Rule for Port 2346 to "Allow the connection."Defender Firewall is still blocking the port. I know it is Defender Firewall because if I...
  4. I'm using Windows 10 Built-in firewall, but can't open port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm using Windows 10 Built-in firewall, but can't open port: I've followed many tuts on Youtube, but still can't can't open port 15001 for torrenting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-using-windows-10-built-in-firewall-but-cant/138d3202-fb71-462f-bb27-364e5cb1f0a8
  5. Windows firewall and ports

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows firewall and ports: Dear all I have some questions regarding Windows Firewall and Ports 1. How do I best close Ports in Windows? With the Outbound / Indbound firewall rules? 2. Deleting a rule is that the same as if is not activated? Or does it get activated when the App requests it? 3. League...
  6. Windows firewall and ports

Windows firewall and ports: Dear allI have some questions regarding Windows Firewall and Ports1.How do I best close Ports in Windows?With the Outbound / Indbound firewall rules?2.Deleting a rule is that the same as if is not activated?Or does it get activated when the App requests it?3.League of Legends...
  7. Firewall blocking port forwards regardless of rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall blocking port forwards regardless of rules: I cannot port forward to host a server, everything was working fine about a month ago but I never hosted anything between that time and now its broken. I installed Kaspersky within that time period and I think that might have something to do with it but its completely...
  8. Is it possible to block Port 135 with Windows Firewall?

Is it possible to block Port 135 with Windows Firewall?: The Remote Procedure Call Service in Windows runs on Port 135. By default this port is reported as 'Open' when I portscan the system in question. Is there a way to block this port, despite the fact it supports the Remote Procedure Call essential service? It would be...
  9. Windows 10 Firewall All Ports Open !

Windows 10 Firewall All Ports Open !: I was frankly shocked to find My Windows 10's Firewall having SEVERAL rules applying within the Public profile and allowing all traffic to hit local ports. I am using Public profile. One Rule was called "Connect" and was allowing ALL. When All ports are allowed inbound,...
  10. Can't open port 8080 through Windows Firewall

Can't open port 8080 through Windows Firewall: I have some home automation software (HomeSeer) running on a W10 machine on my network that has a web interface running on port 8080. I want to access this from other machines on the network. I couldn't access it by default so I created an inbound rule on Windows Firewall for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fire wall rules set but ports still blocked