Windows 10: "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

Discus and support "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I encountered this issue in several occasions. If I created a folder named Test.123, only Test was shown, 123 was hidden. I also had a sub-folder in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hello10, Oct 29, 2018.

1. hello10 Win User

"Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

I encountered this issue in several occasions. If I created a folder named Test.123, only Test was shown, 123 was hidden. I also had a sub-folder in my main drive mysteriously with no name. After the fix, it turns out the folder has a name beginning with a dot.

The tip using regedit here works for me.

:)

hello10, Oct 29, 2018

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 29, 2018
  3. KidmanPE Win User
    User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Oct 29, 2018
  4. "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

"Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

1. "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names" - Similar Threads - folders dot before

2. Folder Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder Name: Why is my folder my documents appearing in chinese characters? here is what it says.. i changed my name to XXXXX: "C:\Users\XXXXX\OneDrive\\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name/d6187b9f-e797-4a4b-90f8-2a9c9f10c5af
  3. Folder Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder Name: Why is my folder my documents appearing in chinese characters? here is what it says.. i changed my name to XXXXX: "C:\Users\XXXXX\OneDrive\\ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-name/d6187b9f-e797-4a4b-90f8-2a9c9f10c5af
  4. How to create a folder name starting with Dot in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to create a folder name starting with Dot in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In Windows 11 as well as in recent versions of Windows 10, you can easily create a file or folder name starting with a dot (.). You now longer need to use the MKDIR command line! How to create a folder name starting with dot (.) in Windows To create a file or folder...
  5. Searching folders that contain dots in the name

in Cortana
    Searching folders that contain dots in the name: I have a set of development folders - each root folder has names with dots in them. i.e. "Myfolder.webapi" and sometimes "myfolder.webapi.myproduct". all these are legal file names. Each of these folders is being automatically added to the excluded list in search classic...
  6. Folders have two names

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders have two names: My efforts to permanently remove 3D Objects folder were unsuccessful. Microsoft always came up with a way to put it back. So I thought I would make it into something useful and re-named it to Books then moved all my "Books" into that folder. Microsoft found a way to change...
  7. Change the name of account and folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the name of account and folder name.: I am in the process of setting up a Windows PC. I noticed that after I went through the prompts to begin using windows and signing on to my Microsoft account that I have a user in my local folders called c:\users\kenp1. I do not want to use that name, but I can't find...
  8. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  9. Windows 10: Project name is not a valid folder name in software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10: Project name is not a valid folder name in software: Hi I am using windows 10, and when trying to create a new project in MPLAB X IDE (microchip) I get this error in the last step "Project name is not a valid folder name " the name is valid (actually whatever name I put I get this error) What I did: I uninstalled mplab an d...
  10. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...