Windows 10: "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

Discus and support "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I encountered this issue in several occasions. If I created a folder named Test.123, only Test was shown, 123 was hidden. I also had a sub-folder in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hello10, Oct 29, 2018.

1. hello10 Win User

"Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names"

I encountered this issue in several occasions. If I created a folder named Test.123, only Test was shown, 123 was hidden. I also had a sub-folder in my main drive mysteriously with no name. After the fix, it turns out the folder has a name beginning with a dot.

The tip using regedit here works for me.

:)

hello10, Oct 29, 2018
  2. Nyima Yonten Win User

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 29, 2018
  3. KidmanPE Win User
    User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Marilou Ser Win User

change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. "Windows 10 folders with dot before names have no names" - Similar Threads - folders dot before

2. User folder name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  3. User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Name Desktop Folder changed it's name to "Folders": I have a problem with my User Folder. Actually the User Folder name is fine, but when you add the Folder on the desktop (with the option on Personalize + Themes) it changed it's name to "Folders" I've tried creating new users, but every new user I create, no matter how...
  4. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": Why is the name of the folder under Users = "change name"?? See attached [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/8f767542-c7b9-4baa-8f8b-e4b2eaa7f240
  5. Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name"

Why is the name of the folder in Users "change name": This is the only User on my PC besides "Public". Why is it "change name"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-the-name-of-the-folder-in-users-change-name/e7070d11-0079-48fe-8e56-9459ec15b114
  6. How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff

How to display longer folder and file names before the cutoff: So look at this photo: [img] How can I make Windows 10 display those folder names longer by default? Thanks 95341
  7. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...
  8. Pink Folder Names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pink Folder Names: Something very weird happened just now. *Shock I opened a folder with a subfolder in Documents. The subfolder had nothing in it. When I returned to my Documents, all the folders names where pink! Why? I returned to the folder and took the Read only off. When I returned to...
  9. Hide folder names?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide folder names?: Is there any way to hide folder names? But I do mean hide the name, not hide the folder or replace the folder name with a blank character. Like the "hide file names" option but for folders instead 44726
  10. Start folder name in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Start folder name in Windows 10 Home: Many times I hear about the "start folder". But when I looked for it in my new computer I cannot find it. Does it have a different name? 50464