Windows 10: Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update

Discus and support Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have an Alienware 17 R5. Some Windows Updates were installed on my device recently, and they seemed to have corrupted my Windows 10 system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ARGranger, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ARGranger Win User

Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update

Hi,

I have an Alienware 17 R5. Some Windows Updates were installed on my device recently, and they seemed to have corrupted my Windows 10 system font. For instance, this is how some Start menu items appear for me. Microsoft Edge's fonts are all messed up as well (note how some characters appear only partially).

I have run this solution and it said the corrupted files were repaired. But it didn't seem to resolve my problem. Both Windows Update and Alienware Support Center show that I don't have any pending updates.

What am I doing wrong? I didn't spend premium pricing on this combo of Alienware and Windows 10 to run into these issues? Can anyone help?

Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update 3c675cbf-1c9b-4e4a-92d4-2dcfa5d0b333?upload=true.png

Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update b49c0e88-ce68-45ec-a2e8-7adc54f8cb6d?upload=true.png

:)

ARGranger, Sep 30, 2019
  2. NeoSOS Win User

Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Sep 30, 2019
  3. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update

Font Installation and Use Problem in Windows 10

I have two computers with Windows 10 installed (one an upgrade from Windows 7, the other an original Windows 10 installation)

A new project requires the following OpenType fonts in TheSerifBlack font family:

TheSerifBlack-Caps

TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

TheSerifBlack-Italic

TheSerifBlack-Plain

While the fonts install using the usual procedure for font installation in Windows 10 (right click on the font and select "install" from the dropbox menu), only two of the four fonts are available in InDesign.
    Here are some additional facts that may help narrow down the source of the problem:

1. If I go to the Fonts (either through the Fonts Control Panel or in the actual fonts directory [C:\Windows\Fonts]) only two are displayed, in the following order in the Font List: TheSerifBlack-Caps,
    then TheSerifBlack-CapsItalic

2. If I delete the first (leftmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Plain font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-Caps" font is now gone in the Windows Fonts listing and is
    unavailable in InDesign). Similarly, if I delete the second (rightmost in the horizontal listing), *then* TheSerifBlack-Italic font appears and is available in InDesign (but the "-CapsItalic" font is gone form the Windows Fonts listing and is now unavailable
    in InDesign).

3. Oddly, if I use a TrueType version of the font, *the same thing happens*. This suggests that perhaps the problem is that something about the *name* of the fonts (screen names are the same for both OTF
    and TTF versions) conflicts with some other fonts in my system.

All available updates for Windows 10 are installed.

Also, the direct cut-and-paste method for installing the font in the Windows Font folder (something some Windows users suggest as a solution to missing-fonts in a typeface family problems like mine) does not
    solve the problem.

I am at a loss how to proceed. I hope someone out there has a solution and await word back.

Desperate in Boulder,

JazzboPotter, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update

1. Windows 10 Fonts Appearing Garbled After Installing Update - Similar Threads - Fonts Appearing Garbled

2. Ghost font appearing when font not installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ghost font appearing when font not installed: Ghost font appearing when font not installed. I downloaded Roboto font from Google's website and installed after disabling Roboto from Adobe CC fonts - I do not have auto activate enabled. All worked fine for a few months and then Cond Bold disappeared after a microsoft...
  3. Ghost font appearing when font not installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ghost font appearing when font not installed: Ghost font appearing when font not installed. I downloaded Roboto font from Google's website and installed after disabling Roboto from Adobe CC fonts - I do not have auto activate enabled. All worked fine for a few months and then Cond Bold disappeared after a microsoft...
  4. Additionally installed fonts are unavailable after reboot but appear to be still installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Additionally installed fonts are unavailable after reboot but appear to be still installed: I installed powerline fonts see below to use with the WSL2 terminal and within VS Code. Each time I reboot the PC the font is not available and it defaults to some other font. As a workaround I reinstall the the fonts, I am being prompted "the font already exists. do you...
  5. Garbled Fonts in native app settings? Thoughts on issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Garbled Fonts in native app settings? Thoughts on issue?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jordan_miller [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k3gi7e/garbled_fonts_in_native_app_settings_thoughts_on/
  6. Font installed but not appearing

Font installed but not appearing: I recently downloaded a font which consist of regular, condensed and expanded variants. However, when I installed them, only the regular variant appeared. I've tried on several apps, such as Word, WordPad, Paint and Paint.net, but neither the condensed nor the expanded...
  7. Metro UI font is garbled or corrupted or glitchy in Windows 10

Metro UI font is garbled or corrupted or glitchy in Windows 10: Hi forum. I have a laptop where the text on the Windows 10 Metro UI elements Start menu, Windows Settings, Notifications, Lock screen, etc is unreadable. It was working fine for 1-1.5 years, then started to get a bit glitchy. Now it is very glitchy. I spent a few hours...
  8. Installed font doesn't appear

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed font doesn't appear: Hello, I recently had to reset my laptop (Asus Model UX461UN, Windows10) and unfortunately didn't think to save my fonts. Now I need to re-edit a publisher document with several HelveticaNeue fonts. There are many different versions of HelveticaNeue (Light, Condensed, etc),...
  9. Fonts/Letters missing and/or garbled

Fonts/Letters missing and/or garbled: sorry couldn't think of a better word that garbled. The below is how they look sometimes: Notice the v in loved. the c in rednecks This wasnt something I typed out but it does happen sometimes when I do? Its more an annoyance than anything. Have recently upgraded...
  10. Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Japanese Characters in .ZIP/RAR/7Z etc files appear garbles, extract garbled: Hello. I am having trouble with file names in Japanese especially those in zip files or rar files. I download and use a lot of Japanese programs and software as I do a lot of translation work. However, the programs and files from some Japanese sources appear as garbled text...