Windows 10: windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

Discus and support windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Krysk461, Nov 15, 2019.

1. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

sorry this is my first post here so im not too sure how your suppose to say what i mean so im just gonna say it. last night my computer needed an update so when i shut it down it asked me to update and shut down and today when i turned it back on windows stopped working so eventually i reinstalled windows on my ssd with no other hard drives plugged in and went from there i was a bit pissed that i lost all my stuff on my ssd but when i plugged my other hard drives in my 3tb hard drive didn't have a partition so i looked up online if giving my hdd a partition would format it and google said no it wouldn't so i gave it a partition and now all my data is gone im trying to recover it now with a program but does anyone have any ideas on other steps to take to fix it

submitted by /u/Krysk461
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Krysk461, Nov 15, 2019
  2. Grownman Win User

Win 7 showing 746gb for 3tb drive?

I recently purchased a WD 3TB green internal hardrive for backups. Upon booting into windows, the drive only shows 746gb's.

I've already gone into device manager and updated the Nforce Serial ATA and the bios shows 3000. (I assume that is for the 3tb's?)

I am not trying to install windows on the drive, but just use it as another drive for backup needs.
    I have tried to go to disk management and format the drive but it will not allow me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Backup - WD 2TB Black
    Backup - External WD 2TB elements
    *Backup - WD 3TB Green

Grownman, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, and my problem is that my desktop, a Dell OptiPlex 3010, is only seeing 2.7 TB (2,794GB under DiskPart) of the new drive, instead of all 3TB or something close like 2.9TB. The BIOS is seeing the entire 3.0 TB. That's several hundred gigabytes the OS is not seeing. I've done a lot of Google searches, and most are the steps I've tried with no success. I've changed the boot mode from Legacy, to UFEI and disabled secure boot in the BIOS, and I have done a BIOS update. I used Rufus to create a UFEI GPT bootable Windows 10 flash drive from the ISO. I know that I may not need a massive 3TB boot partition, but it would be nice to squeeze what I can out. My ultimate goal for this machine is to be a media center, hence the big hard drive.

windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update [​IMG]

OmahaIT1000, Nov 15, 2019
  4. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

Installing second hard drive without formatting

Hi Joel,

Based on the information you've provided, it appears that your 3TB Seagate hard drive is designed to work as an external hard drive, that's why you are being asked to format it when connected and used as an internal.

For best advice on accessing and keeping the data on the hard drive without formatting, we suggest that you get in touch with the manufacturer.

Should you have other Windows concern, feel free to contact us.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update

1. windows 10 formatted my 3tb hard drive with new update - Similar Threads - formatted 3tb hard

2. 3tb hard drive showing up as 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3tb hard drive showing up as 2: i recently had to redownload windows 10 because it wasnt booting, my 3tb hard drive was only showing up as 2tb, i ignored it for a while but now i am running low on storage how do i get my extra tb?...
  3. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  4. Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Initializing and Formatting new Hard drive: I got a new Internal Hard drive for my computer a WD Blue 1TB PC HArd drive 7200 RPM. My problem is when formatting or initializing something went wrong and I am now unable to initialize the disk and When I try to it gives a Data error cyclic redundancy check. Any help would...
  5. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  6. Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD

Windows 10 will not "Quick Format" a 3TB HDD: I moved a 3TB HDD from a Windows 7 Pro computer to my new Windows 10 Pro computer. Rather than delete all the data, I thought it would be quicker to just do a Quick Format. I was wrong. Disk Management just sat there doing nothing for over 45 minutes. I deleted all...
  7. Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10: If I want to make a bootable hard drive for Windows 10 in the NTFS file system with no partitions do I have to do it in the GPT format?...
  8. Hard Drive Format during Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard Drive Format during Update: UPDATE: After mega trouble of getting Insider status back after a hard drive replacement, and many hours of help from LCmdr (thank you again sir) I was able to rejoin. My first function of course was to update. While downloading the update and getting my last reboot, the...
  9. New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB

New PC Windows on Single 3TB Hard Drive, Seen as 746GB: Hi, I recently acquired a second-hand PC that had everything working fine but lacked a hard drive. I bought a 3TB HDD and installed it. Afterwards, I installed Windows 7 (because I had a key for it), and then I upgraded to Windows 10 because I prefer it. I noticed as...
  10. Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 Pro X64 on 3TB Hard Drive: I recently purchased a internal 3.5 inch SATA Seagate 3TB Hard Drive from Amazon as it caught my eye because it was on sale. *chuckle I'm trying to install Windows 10 64 bit, and my problem is that my desktop, a Dell OptiPlex 3010, is only seeing 2.7 TB (2,794GB under...