Windows 10: Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

Discus and support Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows 10, expected on the market this autumn, will be available for one year as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Burgurne, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

Windows 10, expected on the market this autumn, will be available for one year as a free upgrade to users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1, Myerson said.

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

Burgurne, Jan 20, 2015

2. How are they going to deliver the free upgrade to customers?

:)

Jesse Williams, Jan 20, 2015
  3. If I change my Windows(to win7 or win8.1) after getting the free upgrade, will I be able to get free subscription again?

Original title: Subscription

If I change my Windows(to win7 or win8.1) after getting the free upgrade, will I be able to get free subscription again?

Md Byzid Asif, Jan 20, 2015
  4. 4RLM Win User

What happens to my existing Windows 7/8.1 licenses after my free Windows 10 upgrade?

I have 2 Windows 7 OEM licenses, a Windows 7 Retail license, and a Windows 8.1 OEM license (all legitimately obtained and activated-no pirating). My primary system is a laptop that came with Win8.1 OEM, which I had to downgrade to Win7 OEM (due to software
    incompatibilities with Win8.1), and I have since used the Win8.1 key embedded in the laptop's UEFI to install Win8.1 OEM in a Virtual Machine on that laptop.

I understand what license types I will get if I upgrade my systems to Win10 (i.e. OEM 7/8.1 to OEM 10, Retail 7 to Retail 10) and what those licenses entail (such as transfer and support rights). However, I need to know what happens to those old licenses
    if I take advantage of the free Win10 upgrade offer. If I upgrade the Win7 Retail copy to Win10, will I still be able to use the Win7 Retail copy on a separate computer (or VM), or will that license become unusable/invalid? If I upgrade from Win7 OEM to
    Win10 OEM, can I install Win7 with that OEM license to a VM on the same hardware, or am I essentially trading the Win7 license for a Win10 license?

Basically it boils down to this question: Is the free upgrade program replacing my exiting Win7/8.1 licenses with Win10 licenses and then invalidating/revoking those Win7/8.1 licenses, or am I getting Win10 licenses
    in addition to the Win7/8.1 licenses I already have?

5. Dude Win User
    They will announce that as we get closer.

6. Okay. Do you know when that will be?

Jesse Williams, Jan 20, 2015
  7. Phone Man Win User
    I had read that it would come through Windows Update but would require a couple of updates prior to that to get Windows 7 and 8.1 ready to do the upgrade. That is why they are testing the update process with the Technical Preview to be sure it does a good job.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jan 20, 2015
  8. waltc Win User

Gabe Aul, running The Windows Insider program for Windows 10, has been quoted saying that it will come in a downloadable .iso among the other, traditional forms of distribution (retail DVD, etc.) He's also stated that one of the goals of the program is to make the final Preview build upgradable to the RTM build.

The only thing I haven't heard about yet is a change in the Preview time-out from 4/2015 to ship-date/2015, or after.

waltc, Jan 20, 2015
  9. Gabe Aul, running The Windows Insider program for Windows 10, has been quoted saying that it will come in a downloadable .iso among the other, traditional forms of distribution (retail DVD, etc.) He's also stated that one of the goals of the program is to make the final Preview build upgradable to the RTM build.

The only thing I haven't heard about yet is a change in the Preview time-out from 4/2015 to ship-date/2015, or after. What do you mean? Are you saying we have to buy them from the store?

Jesse Williams, Jan 21, 2015
  10. I had read that it would come through Windows Update but would require a couple of updates prior to that to get Windows 7 and 8.1 ready to do the upgrade. That is why they are testing the update process with the Technical Preview to be sure it does a good job.

Jim *Cool That sounds a lot more convenient and easy.

Jesse Williams, Jan 21, 2015
  11. Gabe Aul, running The Windows Insider program for Windows 10, has been quoted saying that it will come in a downloadable .iso among the other, traditional forms of distribution (retail DVD, etc.) He's also stated that one of the goals of the program is to make the final Preview build upgradable to the RTM build.

The only thing I haven't heard about yet is a change in the Preview time-out from 4/2015 to ship-date/2015, or after. What do you mean? Are you saying we have to buy them from the store? Windows Store as in the Windows Store App, not the physical retail outlet, if that's what your asking?

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  12. Rickkins Win User
    Well, they finally found a way to make metro popular... give it away for free. Quite possibly one of the most cynical moves I've ever seen by a software company.

Of course free falls within my favorite price zone, so I'll surely take it.

Rickkins, Jan 21, 2015
  13. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

lol, just because you don't like it doesn't mean the whole world doesn't like it. More and more people are going to the "like" camp as they make changes. Windows 10 is never going to be Windows 7 so you can dream on on that one.

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    This may sound terrible but I made that exact mistake at Christmas but with Apple. I bought someone an "Apple Store" voucher which failed to work in the "Apple App Store". We had to go to the physical building and spend the "Apple Store" voucher to buy a "iTunes" Voucher for the same amount. It made me feel kind of old and out of touch *Sad

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
  15. I suspect that the upgrade to Win10 will be akin to the 8.1 upgrade (or was that 8.1 update 1)
    - an ESD from the Store, if not the Store then from the Download Catalogue.

Slartybart, Jan 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 - Similar Threads - free win7 win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  5. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  6. Possibility to get windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possibility to get windows 10 for free?: Hello! I'm still operating Windows 7 and I missed all opportunitys to change to win 10. A few months ago I thought I have read a article about how there is still a way to get win 10 for free. But i really can't find it. Am I wrong or is there still a way to get win10 for...
  7. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  8. Getting windows 10 for free.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting windows 10 for free.: At present, is there any way of getting genuine windows 10 for lifetime (for one pc only) for free through Microsoft?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-10-for-free/a59ae2b4-7711-49eb-bea1-4779ff857c20"
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...