Windows 10: Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

Discus and support Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Amazing news *Smile is this official ? Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Burgurne, Jan 20, 2015.

1. netuser Win User

Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

Amazing news *Smile is this official ?

netuser, Jan 22, 2015

2. It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or fasterRAM: 1 gigabyte (GB)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    A Microsoft account and Internet access

From rcpmag.com

Jesse Williams, Jan 22, 2015
  3. What does that mean?

4. Trust_No1 Win User

Well, I am still running 8 on two machines;

the first a tablet with an AC wifi adapter which would not function properly under 8.1 but does under 8.0
    the other an
    Acer desktop with i3 CPU tried to upgrade and it simply would not do it, I finally gave up.

Besides if they are giving windows 7 and 8.1 people free updates why wouldn't 8.0 be included?
    That just makes no sense to me

what I am also wondering,
    • if a person does upgrade will it destroy the factory re-install options on the machines?
    • do you use your previous keys if you re-install (even after a year)?
    • i have Pro are there different versions of 10?
    • what does free updates for the life of the device mean?
    does it mean until my machine blows up orthey may stop creating updates but you can re-install them forever andis there a difference between update and upgrade
    I am still confused by their wording and explanations

Trust_No1, Jan 22, 2015
  5. Well, I am still running 8 on two machines;

the first a tablet with an AC wifi adapter which would not function properly under 8.1 but does under 8.0
    the other an
    Acer desktop with i3 CPU tried to upgrade and it simply would not do it, I finally gave up.

Besides if they are giving windows 7 and 8.1 people free updates why wouldn't 8.0 be included?
    That just makes no sense to me

what I am also wondering,
    • if a person does upgrade will it destroy the factory re-install options on the machines?
    • do you use your previous keys if you re-install (even after a year)?
    • i have Pro are there different version?
    • what does free updates for the life of the device mean?
    does it mean until my machine blows up orthey may stop creating updates but you can re-install them forever andis there a difference between update and upgrade
    I am still confused by their wording and explanations 4.) It probably means that they will keep your device up to date and as current with all of the latest security and feature updates for as long as your device lasts or is working.

6. Superfly Win User
    I'm hoping it will be like the Win8 upgrade offer, but instead of paying $14.99, it's $0.

That means a downloadable iso and upgrade key. Happy days.

To qualify one has to produce proof (not sure if the upgrade assistant will read the firmware key on Win8) - but we will have to enter our COA key for Win7 like we did before, I suppose.

Just putting it out there, makes sense?

PS: As I posted at EF, I got a feeling the base edition (Win8.1 with Bing) may be excluded as with Win7 Starter back then. I guess that's where the "software requirements" come in.

Superfly, Jan 22, 2015
  7. Yes, it is official.
    Win10 will be a FREE upgrade for Win7 and Win8.1 users.
    This is a limited time offer: RTM +1 year
    There will be no charges for the life of the device (i.e. no update costs, no subscription plans for Win10)

After the 1 year offer expires MS will charge for updating to Win10

There will be charges for other services such as cloud space on OneDrive, Store Apps, Skype credits, O365 - these charges already occur and will continue in the same fashion... These charges do not apply to Win10, they apply only to other service offerings.

MS has been giving us a lot of Free stuff for a while:
    Free Skype
    Free eMail clients
    Free Cloud storage with OneDrive
    Free Applications (Movie Maker, Photo Gallery, Media Player, Media Center, Office Online).
    Free System tools (Sysinternals, WAIK, ...)

There are certainly more, but that's a lot of development time and money.

They have been very generous for many years. Of course all that free stuff was to sell and support their flagship product, Windows. Now they're giving Windows away, even if it is a limited offer.

The reasoning is still the same - to drive revenue.

Slartybart, Jan 22, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

I'm so happy with that confirmation !

*Dinesh

Vladimir, Jan 22, 2015
  9. They don't mention XP or Vista users!

markweatherill, Jan 25, 2015
  10. XP and Vista don't qualify for the free upgrade is the way I read it.

alphanumeric, Jan 25, 2015
  11. XP and Vista don't qualify for the free upgrade is the way I read it. And even then, vista's literally almost 10 years old, xp is a zombie that should already be dead. Windows 10 may or may not work fine on old XP hardware, vista might be a stretch but should work. If you're running xp on modern hardware, that's a WHOLE different story.

Microsoft is targeting the vast majority of Windows users, which are on 7. They're roping in 8.1 as it's expected of them to be doing so. Honestly, demographics wise, I don't know if most people still on either xp or vista care that much to upgrade or don't really want to or have no other reason to do so.

Coke Robot, Jan 25, 2015
  12. I suspect during the first year users of Vista and XP on suitable hardware (Core 2 Duo Athlon Dual Core) at least 2 GB ram will be given the option to upgrade to 10 for $15 to $30 just like when Windows 8 came out. You run a check upgrade program, enter your product key (if needed) and then your credit card details. Then you get a key and an ISO to download which actually could be used on any machine. It was not tied to the one you submitted the details on. I got 8 Pro that way from a Netbook I had just bought when 8 came out and it ran XP. 8Pro ended up on my main machine and 7 Pro is on the Netbook. 8 did not like the Netbook as the screen size is 1024 x 600 and the store was blocked.

Indianatone, Jan 25, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

bottom like is anyone still running a computer purchased new with either xp or vista need a new computer ,so of my customers give me there old computer when i'm setting up there new one ,after I try adding more ram ,ect ect and they don't perform any better ,I either take them to recycle depot of give them away to a guy I know who just like to play with old hardware .

I tried installing winxp pro on a old dell laptop last week and it would not let me run updates or even install an updated IE browser .exe I downloaded an put on a usb

installing win10 on XP or Vista is a waste of money, time for Linux or move on if you got the money

caperjack, Jan 25, 2015
  14. A friend gave me a very old laptop and I tried to put Linux (puppy, peppermint, and mate) on it - HA! It was too old for any of them (even the oldest puppy) or it lacked enough memory. I put the original XP back on and donated it.

Slartybart, Jan 25, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    A friend gave me a very old laptop and I tried to put Linux (puppy, peppermint, and mate) on it - HA! It was too old for any of them (even the oldest puppy) or it lacked enough memory. I put the original XP back on and donated it. must be really old !
    I have the old puppy on a live cd ,and run it first on older laptop ,just to see how they will work ,usually really old laptops I end up with, get strip of anything I think might be of any value and tossed the rest

caperjack, Jan 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 - Similar Threads - free win7 win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  5. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  6. Possibility to get windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possibility to get windows 10 for free?: Hello! I'm still operating Windows 7 and I missed all opportunitys to change to win 10. A few months ago I thought I have read a article about how there is still a way to get win 10 for free. But i really can't find it. Am I wrong or is there still a way to get win10 for...
  7. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  8. Getting windows 10 for free.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting windows 10 for free.: At present, is there any way of getting genuine windows 10 for lifetime (for one pc only) for free through Microsoft?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-10-for-free/a59ae2b4-7711-49eb-bea1-4779ff857c20"
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...