Windows 10: Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

Discus and support Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; .....time for Linux or move on if you got the money A friend gave me a very old laptop and I tried to put Linux (puppy, peppermint, and mate) on it -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Burgurne, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

A friend gave me a very old laptop and I tried to put Linux (puppy, peppermint, and mate) on it - HA! It was too old for any of them (even the oldest puppy) or it lacked enough memory. I put the original XP back on and donated it. The easiest way to get a Linux contemporary with the machine may be the Wayback Machine

Of course the emphasis was less on being like Windows than now. But the person would have the fun of figuring out all those shell scripts under /etc *Smile

MilesAhead, Jan 25, 2015
  2. caperjack Win User

A friend gave me a very old laptop and I tried to put Linux (puppy, peppermint, and mate) on it - HA! It was too old for any of them (even the oldest puppy) or it lacked enough memory. I put the original XP back on and donated it. The easiest way to get a Linux contemporary with the machine may be the Wayback Machine

Of course the emphasis was less on being like Windows than now. But the person would have the fun of figuring out all those shell scripts under /etc *Smile nope,people only want to point and click ,customers[and family members] I deal with still don't know how to get files off external devices

caperjack, Jan 25, 2015
  3. EndGame Win User
    Never have posted here before but, I read this forum daily and have gleaned quite a bit of useful information from this forum, Thank -You!

I do have a question I have not been able to find an answer to though......perhaps I missed it. I currently have 5 laptops and 2 desktop PC's active at my house. Windows OS's range from Win 7 to Win 8.1, some home, some pro. Will Win 10 come in different "flavors" (i.e. basic/home/pro/enterprise)? If so, will your upgrade or free installation of Win 10 equal the copy it will replace (basic/home/pro/enterprise)?

EndGame, Jan 26, 2015
  4. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

My guess is 10 will come in Core, Pro and Enterprise, like 8 does now. If you have core you get core, pro will get your Pro. What they do for Windows 7 I have no idea?

alphanumeric, Jan 26, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    XP and Vista don't qualify for the free upgrade is the way I read it. Hi there

You can do it by a roundabout way : VISTA ==>W7 then W7===>W10. We don't know yet whether W7 will actually have to be activated before the update progresses. VISTA didn't need activation on to install W7 and W7 allows 30 days of use before activation is mandatory. W7 just looked for a previous Windows install as a "qualifying upgrade". You could even just point to the .ISO without even having VISTA installed - you'd get a nice CLEAN install even from an "upgrade" package. You didn't need the physical ISO --one on HDD worked just fine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 26, 2015
  6. Well Skype was free when MS bought it. Hotmail was free when MS bought it before it become Outlook, and compares with other free email services. MS free cloud storage is on par with other services. The "free" applications are OS padding, and the OS wasn't free. They are nice things to have, but I'm not sure I see MS as having gone beyond industry norms with these things.

Delicieuxz, Jan 26, 2015
  7. Burgurne Win User
    Well, I do hope there will be a way to do a clean install of this upgrade, maybe the same way it was possible with a clean install with Windows 8 upgrade, when it was new?
    Or perhaps the way Jimbo45 is showing with help of an .ISO file?

Burgurne, Jan 26, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1

when people upgraded from win8 to win8.1 ,and users had issues with the win8.1 install and could not do a restore because of the missing files error ,there was no 8.1 iso available for download with out one having to use a generic key to get the iso from some web site ,but now one is available for download using mediacreationtool.exe from Microsoft ,I suspect this will happen with win10 also, but I could be wrong

caperjack, Jan 26, 2015
  9. f0xpass Win User
    Would Win 7 Starter qualify for the free upgrade? MS explicitly excludes Win 7 Enterprise, but makes no mention of other 7 versions.

f0xpass, Jan 27, 2015
  10. Probably not, the hardware would most likely be insufficient.

Slartybart, Jan 27, 2015
  11. caperjack Win User
    not likely . win 10 will not even install on the notebook I have running win7 starter.
    and i'm almost sure I tried to put win8 on it to and it would not install

caperjack, Jan 27, 2015
  12. not likely . win 10 will not even install on the notebook I have running win7 starter.
    and i'm almost sure I tried to put win8 on it to and it would not install Didn't they call those NetBooks? I bought my daughter one years ago, Intel Atom processor 2 gig or RAM 10 inch screen. HP something or other. It had 7 Starter on it. A lot of stupid things were locked down so you couldn't change them. We don't have it anymore, it's been handed down a couple of times to other family relatives as a first PC. I hope to never see it again. *Wink

alphanumeric, Jan 27, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

not likely . win 10 will not even install on the notebook I have running win7 starter.
    and i'm almost sure I tried to put win8 on it to and it would not install Didn't they call those NetBooks? I bought my daughter one years ago, Intel Atom processor 2 gig or RAM 10 inch screen. HP something or other. It had 7 Starter on it. A lot of stupid things were locked down so you couldn't change them. We don't have it anymore, it's been handed down a couple of times to other family relatives as a first PC. I hope to never see it again. *Wink yeah netbook was what my brain was thinking ,but my fingers never got the message

its about 3yrs old bought it for my daughter just to take to class when she was in university ,I still use it sometime when lounging in a big chair in front of the tv

caperjack, Jan 27, 2015
  14. Do they still make Netbooks?

Jesse Williams, Jan 28, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    no don't think so, but they do make 10" switch tablets/laptop like Microsoft surface and others like Acer switch ,works like a laptop when attached to the keyboard ,and a tablet when you unlock it from the keyboard ,both attach via a magnet on the keyboard
    I almost bought the acer one at Christmas just because of the price[349.00cdn most places 265.00 at cosco ] compared to the MS surface .
    Aspire Switch 10 | Laptops - A 2-in-1 as versatile as you are | Acer

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 free to get for win7 and win8.1 - Similar Threads - free win7 win8

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  5. win8 dvd

win8 dvd: I run my w8 DVD & this came up:- this is missing or corrupted "windows\system32\driversmsisadrv.sys," Error Code : 0xc000007d. Is there anything I can do to correct it? I bought this cd a long time ago & used it a few times as my spare laptop has w8.
  6. Possibility to get windows 10 for free?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possibility to get windows 10 for free?: Hello! I'm still operating Windows 7 and I missed all opportunitys to change to win 10. A few months ago I thought I have read a article about how there is still a way to get win 10 for free. But i really can't find it. Am I wrong or is there still a way to get win10 for...
  7. Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win8 purchased Win10 free upgrade Now Reinstall Win10: Originally, I purchased Windows 8 and installed it on my Mac with Parallels. After installing, Microsoft offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. I now want to remove Windows from Parallels and reinstall it using BootCamp. How can I do this? I do not have Windows 10 on disc or...
  8. Getting windows 10 for free.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting windows 10 for free.: At present, is there any way of getting genuine windows 10 for lifetime (for one pc only) for free through Microsoft?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-windows-10-for-free/a59ae2b4-7711-49eb-bea1-4779ff857c20"
  9. Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hmm... Overall I think Win8(.1 update 1) is better than Win10.: "Reset This PC" Confusion Firstly it seems MS have gotten-rid of the 'Refresh This PC' terminology to describe the distinction between keeping files but keeping settings/apps intact, or removing both files and apps/settings (the old Reset This PC). After you make this first...
  10. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...