Windows 10: Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.

Discus and support Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10. But what about those insiders who... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WinInsiderBeta, May 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.

So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10.

But what about those insiders who clean installed the Insider Preview? (Not upgraded from an existing system).

How will activation work?

Gabe Aul said on twitter that we (insiders) are the "first in line" to get the free upgrade.

Does this mean that people registered in the Windows Insider Program don't actually have to reserve anything?

:)

WinInsiderBeta, May 31, 2015

2. Windows10 upgrade

windows 10 free upgrade, May 31, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Can't Activate Windows 10 on Windows 7 Dell Laptop

Dennis,

The only way to activate the free upgrade is by starting with an activated Windows 7 SP 1 or activated Windows 8.1 that is then upgraded not
    replaced.

By running a clean install of Windows 10 you have removed the previously activated Windows installation so you cannot activate Windows 10 because the computer no longer qualifies for the free upgrade.

There is no mechanism for just using the previous product key to qualify for the free upgrade & get it activated.
    You have no choice but to re-install & re-activate Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 on the computer and then to run the upgrade to Windows 10 not a clean install of Windows 10.

Sorry, but that's the situation.

Tryx3, May 31, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.

5. Yes, i know that everyone will get the upgrade.

But i am concerned about the licensing side of things.

So, will Microsoft actually give every Insider a valid license?
    Since the one that comes with the preview will expire?

WinInsiderBeta, May 31, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    I have heard that they will, but have no link or proof of this.

7. The reservation process requires an email address. So, most likely, they will send you the license via email. That's what they did when I bought Win8 online from them.

Mark Phelps, Jun 1, 2015
  8. Wibbly Win User

Anyone know yet if old Win 7 Technet licenses/activations will eligible for a free upgrades?

Wibbly, Jun 1, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    A license is a license. Microsoft doesn't have any way of knowing that a home or pro license was a TechNet license.

Mystere, Jun 1, 2015
  10. Superfly Win User
    No reason, I can think of, why not...time will tell though.

Not quite - the Product ID contains the distribution channel - that was how we isolated MSDN keys sold by scammers to unsuspecting Win7 users.

Superfly, Jun 2, 2015
  11. elbmek Win User
    just got my confirmation email from MS and they tell me this also:

Windows Offer Details
    Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:
    Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled.

*Not available in all markets.

Microsoft respects your privacy. Please read our online Privacy Statement. Microsoft Corporation
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052 USA

elbmek, Jun 2, 2015
  12. Albert Win User
    I downloaded the insider preview on my laptop with what used to be Windows 7. My wife's laptop now has the icon on the task bar to reserve a copy of windows 10. Do I still have to reserve a copy?

Albert, Jun 2, 2015
  13. elbmek Win User

yes, if you want it. I reserved it on both my laptop and my pc. I am going to ask my daughters if they want it, so they can reserve it too.

elbmek, Jun 2, 2015
  14. only if your wifes laptop wants win 10 ready to install automatically on the 29th, if in no rush then you can just upgrade it for free anytine before 29th July 2016 and skip reservation

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation. - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade Activation

2. Window 10 free upgrade from Win8.1 activation code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Window 10 free upgrade from Win8.1 activation code: My disk crashed and I installed a new disk and installed Windows 10 but I do not know which activation code to use when the system asks for this. Do I use the Window 8.1 activation key? I don't think I have the window 10 key since it was an upgrade and I can't find where...
  3. Windows upgraded for free but did not activate

Windows upgraded for free but did not activate: Hello, The windows upgraded for free but now it will not activate it for us. No we did not buy new one. It was one of those automatic updates for windows. How do I activate it? It will not let me go back to the other version as its been over 10 days. Thank you,...
  4. windows 7/10 FREE upgrADE /ACTIVATION ERROR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 7/10 FREE upgrADE /ACTIVATION ERROR: how do i activate windows 10 license on dell laptop that came with windows 7? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-710-free-upgrade-activation-error/47ecfa08-ee2d-4e80-b722-6410a906055b
  5. Free windows 10 upgrade - reinstalled windows 10 and cant activate

Free windows 10 upgrade - reinstalled windows 10 and cant activate: Hello! Years ago I had win7 and got the free upgrade to win10. Some time ago my techsavy friend helped me change out some parts and reinstalled windows to wipe my computer to have a fresh canvas. I realized I couldnt activate my windows 10 back then because when I tried to...
  6. Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade

Re-activating free windows 10 upgrade after hardware upgrade: Hi, I upgraded to W10 way back when the free upgrade was being offered. I recently got a new PC but kept my existing SSD with W10 on. It's suddenly decided my copy of W10 isn't activated/genuine. I've read through all the guides and done all the recommended troubleshooting...
  7. Windows 10 re-activation from free upgrade

Windows 10 re-activation from free upgrade: I had an old motherboard that came with Windows 7, and when Windows 10 was offered for existing Windows 7 users I upgraded to that. Now, I bought a new motherboard and am asked to activate windows 10, but when I try to activate it it says its unable to. My question is, will I...
  8. Free upgrade to Windows 10 LOST ITS ACTIVATION SOMEHOW

Free upgrade to Windows 10 LOST ITS ACTIVATION SOMEHOW: I have a Windows tablet that CAME with Windows 8.1, including me calling Microsoft to activate Windows the usual way one time after I factory reset it when it had Windows 8.1. I received the "free upgrade" to Windows 10 some months ago and now I see a message in the corner...
  9. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024
  10. Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered: Here are a few more answers to some nagging questions about Windows 10 upgrades and activation in the post-Anniversary-Update era. Phasing out the year-long free Windows 10 upgrade promotion is, no doubt, a complicated process. But getting answers about how this process...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. World Microsoft Way Redmondupdate bluetooth driver windows 10