Windows 10: Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies

Discus and support Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; For the general public, the free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends on July 29. However, if you use assistive technologies, you can still get the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies

Source: Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

:)

Brink, Jul 29, 2016
  2. T-G. Win User

Windows 10 Fresh Install with Windows 7 License Key After Free Upgrade Deadline

The upgrades are over - you must install the same version as the licence, unless you or
    someone else that might use the computer use assistive technologies, then W10 upgrade is still available.

Search: Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies

For the general public, the free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ends on July 29. However, if you use assistive technologies, you can still get the free upgrade offer even after the general public deadline
    expires as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

3. TomJeson64, Jul 29, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Just read about it in a internet news magazine, they are promoting using that option for people not in need of it just to get around the deadline.

CountMike, Jul 29, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    Doesn't surprise me at all. after all MS only gave them a year and a day to upgrade.

Winuser, Jul 29, 2016
  6. MrBill Win User
    As someone who uses voice recognition due to arthritis I can tell you this really isn't much of a motivator. I have been trying to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking software off and on with Windows 10 since it first released. Nuance, who makes Dragon, is still far behind in regards to supporting the OS. People like me that need assisted support don't upgrade software just because it's new. We upgrade because it is necessary. I can tell you firsthand, pardon the pun, that I have spent many a day having to use my mouse and keyboard while pain was shooting through my hands because Windows 10 did not support a certain function that was found in Windows 7. This is primarily because the UI is so different. So things like the settings panel do not work, although the legacy control panel still does. Universal apps don't really work at all. And there are other things as well. Again, I don't necessarily blame Microsoft since obviously the vendor is in no hurry to reprogram to the new APIs for voice recognition. That said, in the end I have to go with what works. So a free upgrade is not going to entice me until my vendor comes out with a version that fully supports Windows 10 and it's new UI.

MrBill, Jul 29, 2016
  7. chemie Win User
    How does it know? The download seems to be a regular upgrade iso so how will it validate?

chemie, Jul 29, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

Very good question. I don't use any assistive technologies but if I did I would try it just to see how it works.

Winuser, Jul 29, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    Year and two days if you count Feb 29th*chuckle.

cereberus, Jul 29, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    True! This is a Leap Year. *Smile Sadly there are those who don't want something until it becomes something they can't have (free).

Winuser, Jul 29, 2016
  11. groze Win User
    @MrBill

I read there is a good speaking software on Linux.

Speech recognition software for Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I tried speaking software on xfce desktop but couldn't get it working. I never tried it on other Linux (Cinnamon, Mate, etc) desktops. I don't remember what disto I used.

groze, Jul 31, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Jul 31, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Here's what I think. I think that Microsoft has made no changes to their activation servers. I'm betting their activation servers are operating exactly the same today as they were on July 28th. I think the whole "free upgrade has expired" is just a smokescreen and all they have done is remove the links between "free upgrade" and the normal methods used for upgrades. I'll let you know on Thursday or Friday, I have a new warranty replacement stick computer coming that has never had Windows Pro on it and I am going to install and activate a Windows 8 Pro on it, then try to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through normal means (ISO file of Windows 10 Pro build 14393). Then see if I get an activation from either the Windows 8 Pro product key or genuineticket.xml file.

NavyLCDR, Jul 31, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    At risk of getting my wrist slapped, I can categorically state the activation servers are still activating old versions of the OS, as I have done it today. I had an 8.1 vm I was keeping for compatibility purposes, but as I have not needed it for months (since 10586 came out), I thought I would try it today, and it just worked.

I think the deadline ending was mostly a PR exercise (smokescreen as you say) to get ditherers to shift to Windows 10.

It would be incredibly dumb to think that MS have "cocked" things up technically. That would be gross incompetency of the highest order for which heads would have to roll. So the only logical conclusion is there are undisclosed commercial reasons that are dictating events.

For example:

Pure speculation here (no evidence to support this), but I could surmise that MS get paid x cents per thousand users for ads they target, and if they persuaded 35+million people to shift, they increase their ad revenue by 10%. The revenue loss of a few late upgraders is probably insignificant by comparison.

Additionally, I also think MS actually recognise that despite all best efforts, a significant number of PCs will fail to get activated after the upgrade despite having a valid digital licence, and they are just letting things be for the time being, so people will easily be able to reactivate. The negative backlash in terms of reputation (and share price impact) if they did not, would be far more damaging than the tiny loss of revenue of late upgraders.

Personally, I think once RS1 is installed, and the bulk of people have upgraded, and people can use the new activation tool thereafter. I suspect once they will quietly drop the activation from old licences.

cereberus, Jul 31, 2016
  15. groze Win User
    Since everyone is talking theory. Here is mine. I think Microsoft will stop the upgrade for the original & November update. However, what Microsoft may announce is a new free upgrade to the anniversary edition with a lower time frame limit like 90 days & stick to it. I am not saying this will happen but it is just a theory. I really think it is strange Microsoft didn't included the anniversary update as an incentive to upgrade.

groze, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use assistive technologies - Similar Threads - free upgrade customers

2. Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant in parts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant in parts: Windows was to be re installed on my PC. Due to some problems in my Windows 20h2 media, I had to install 1607 from another media. Now, I am on Windows 10 1607 and wanted to upgrade my PC to 20h2, so I used upgrade assistant. It was on 87% and my daily data exhausted. I want...
  3. Turning off Assistive Technology in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turning off Assistive Technology in Windows 10: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is notifying me that Assistive Technology is turned on in Windows 10 when I didn't even have any knowledge of turning this setting on. How would I turn off this setting in Windows 10?...
  4. who is multifix technology?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    who is multifix technology?: is Microsoft working with this company? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/who-is-multifix-technology/c5876ed7-94d4-4019-b84b-4bf336c1f75e"
  5. windows 10 adaptive for people needing to use assistive technology

windows 10 adaptive for people needing to use assistive technology: Hello, I am having trouble finding the windows 10 download adaptive for people needing to use assistive technology. can someone please send me a link. thank you...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade - Assistive Technologies for Hearing impaired

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade - Assistive Technologies for Hearing impaired: I have 2 desktops. I upgraded one of them using the ISO I created when the free upgrade was available. However I did not upgrade the other desktop which is running Windows 7. Will Windows 10 still activate if I install from my ISO now?...
  7. Who is AKI Technologies and why is it downloading?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Who is AKI Technologies and why is it downloading?: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and notice that whenever I boot, I get something downloading at 64mbs for a couple of hours. I have no idea what program it's downloading to but I determined that deploy.static.akimaitechnologies.com is the culprit. Is this legit? 84471
  8. How the FREE Activation works w/ ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES upgrade

How the FREE Activation works w/ ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES upgrade: Does anyone know anything about Microsoft's"Windows 10 free upgrade for customers who use ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGIES"? The page only explain Microsofts commitment to help those in need and say the the upgrade is still available, it then there is UPGRADE NOW button at the...
  9. Assistive Technologies Upgrade Failed?

Assistive Technologies Upgrade Failed?: I just tried to upgrade on my Windows 7 Pro 32bit through the Windows 10 upgrade using the "assistive technologies" and it did not work for some reason. It failed after about 45min of downloading and starting the install. I've done this before with another computer and it...
  10. Free Windows 10 Upgrade for assistive technologies ends Jan. 16, 2018

in Windows 10 News
    Free Windows 10 Upgrade for assistive technologies ends Jan. 16, 2018: If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies. Please take advantage of this offer before it expires on January 16, 2018. (extended...