Windows 10: Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

Discus and support Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, We had upgraded Windows 7 Pre-Installed OEM (Which came with HP / Dell Workstations) to Windows 10 in the year of 2016 when Microsoft announced a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SurendraKamath, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

Hi,

We had upgraded Windows 7 Pre-Installed OEM (Which came with HP / Dell Workstations) to Windows 10 in the year of 2016 when Microsoft announced a pubic free upgrade. We had reloaded a couple of our internal systems in the year of 2017 due to performance issues. We had used Windows 10 ISO file for the installation and it activated the license without using the serial key. The activation page is showing "Windows is activated with digital license/entitlement". This confirms that the Windows 10 upgrade licenses are valid.

Microsoft has initiated audits via third party audit firm and they were found that the machines are got installed in the year of 2017 are not eligible to use free Windows 10 licenses which are upgraded in the year 2016. We have indicated to them that, we had upgraded in the year 2016 and we had reloaded OS in the year of 2017. But they are insisting us to procure Windows 10 licenses as part of audit compliance.

We have produced the invoice copies of hardware purchase which indicates Windows 7 Pro OEM licenses. Even we indicated that we will be able to provide them all the serial keys of the OEM machines. However, they will not be bothered about it.

Please let me know what other proof we can able to produce to audit the firm to close the compliance review.

We did check the Microsoft site and in the FAQ's its clearly mentioned that the reinstall can be done with ISO image many times.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Best, SK

:)

SurendraKamath, Dec 9, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 9, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Dec 9, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance

1. Windows 10 Free Upgrade License and Audit Compliance - Similar Threads - Free Upgrade License

2. Free Windows 11 Upgrade and Auditing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free Windows 11 Upgrade and Auditing: Can any give a KB or any Microsoft specific links that address how those whom perform the free Windows 11 upgrade on properly licensed Windows 10 machines in a business environment are handled by a licensing audit? Just want to ensure that if I perform these free upgrades...
  3. Free Windows 11 Upgrade and Auditing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free Windows 11 Upgrade and Auditing: Can any give a KB or any Microsoft specific links that address how those whom perform the free Windows 11 upgrade on properly licensed Windows 10 machines in a business environment are handled by a licensing audit? Just want to ensure that if I perform these free upgrades...
  4. Free upgraded PC activation and license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Free upgraded PC activation and license: I have a old pc that I upgraded to windows 10 during free upgrade period. If I give my pc to a friend or family member, will the windows 10 license still be valid as it is digitally linked to my Microsoft account?...
  5. Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Find Digital License for Windows 10 Free Upgrade: I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home had Windows 7 before in 2016, directly from Microsoft. Recently my PC started having issues with the Windows update, then this weekend I noticed an error message in Settings, saying "Windows is not activated." I ran the...
  6. Windows 10 License for free

Windows 10 License for free: Split from this thread. I need to know if is possible to get product key freely https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-license-for-free/87835dbc-e4ea-4bb2-afff-18a8393e43f5"
  7. Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.

Question on Windows 10 free upgrade license.: I have an old machine that was originally running Windows 7 Pro(Retail) and I upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro through the free upgrade process. I believe I tied it to an MS Account with my email, but cannot remember. I logged onto my account from another computer and see my...
  8. Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question

Window 10 Free Upgrade License Question: I have a few questions relating to the license terms for the Free Windows 10 Upgrade from 7. 1) Does the license require that Window 7 be replaced on the computer with Windows 10? For example, can I create an image of my existing Win 7 system, recover it to a second hard...
  9. Free upgrade license type requirements

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade license type requirements: Hello this is my first post so "Hi!". I've read on Wikipedia that the Windows 10 free upgrade will offered to all users of "consumer editions" of Windows 7 and 8.1. I'm currently at a stage where I need to do a fresh install of Windows 7 but do not have a recovery disc....
  10. Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Windows 10 upgrade a permanent license?: Is it known whether the serial of an upgraded Windows 7 or 8 will become affiliated with MS as being a Windows 10 serial, so that the license owner may reinstall Windows 10 after a format or machine-license transfer, including beyond the 1-year period for free Windows 10...