Windows 10: Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users

Discus and support Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has ended the free upgrades to Windows 10, but users are reporting that they can still install the OS for free on a PC running a genuine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Nov 29, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users

Microsoft has ended the free upgrades to Windows 10, but users are reporting that they can still install the OS for free on a PC running a genuine license of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

According to reports, you can claim a free digital entitlement of Windows 10 and upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Microsoft has officially ended the free upgrades to Windows 10, but the free upgrades work if you have a PC running a genuine copy of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, which is properly activated on existing hardware.

To grab a free copy of Windows 10, you have to download and run the Media Creation Tool on the Windows 7 machine and enter the product key when asked during the upgrade process. Keep in mind, though, this won’t work for other versions of Windows or to activate the existing installation of Windows 10.

According to a Reddit user who reportedly works at Microsoft, the free upgrades to Windows 10 still work and there shouldn’t any problems during activation but you need to be careful.

“You still can do this no problem, however careful, do an upgrade keeping everything as if you choose to yeet everything and start fresh, you lose your free upgrade. That old 7 license converts to a 10 digital license and from there you can clean install no problem,” the employee wrote.

“That whole “free” upgrade for a year was fully marketing fluff. After the cut off happened, the direction given was that it requires a paid license HOWEVER, this was brought up by the brick and mortar stores that they were doing simple clock changes on customer devices during the upgrade challenge to get around it and then ultimately it was clear two years later that anything Windows 7 and up would go to 10 fully activated and still to this day,” the alleged employee added.

You could be violating licensing agreements and as some people have pointed out, activated does not equal licenced.

This loophole could be patched by Microsoft at any time and you will be proceeding at your own risk.

The post Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Nov 29, 2019
  2. btarunr Win User

Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

In what could be a fundamental shift in how Microsoft monetizes its flagship product, the Windows operating system, the company decided to offer its upcoming Windows 10 as a free upgrade for existing users of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This offer will be applicable only for the first year following Windows 10 launch (after which, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 users will have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10). Windows 10 will see the return of the Start Menu, a productive Desktop environment, and cutting-edge new API features such as DirectX 12.

Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users 116a_thm.jpg

Source: The Verge

btarunr, Nov 29, 2019
  3. TRWOV Win User
    Windows 10 to be Free Upgrade for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Users

Note that it says "pay to upgrade" not "pay to use".

TRWOV, Nov 29, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 free upgrade offer still works for some users - Similar Threads - free upgrade offer

2. How long will Windows 11 be offered as a free upgrade?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long will Windows 11 be offered as a free upgrade?: I'm just curious what the free upgrade timeline will be? When I upgrade to Windows 10, there was only a certain amount of time you could do so?...
  3. Why does the free upgrade to Windows 10 still work?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why does the free upgrade to Windows 10 still work?: Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 for free. I used the tool to install Windows 10 available on the Microsoft site. Now my PC has Windows 10 activated with a digital license and everything is working fine. Microsoft support told me that this free upgrade offer...
  4. Windows 10 free upgrade offer is still valid and it’s not going away

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 free upgrade offer is still valid and it’s not going away: Microsoft officially concluded its free Windows 10 upgrade program in 2016, but you can still get a free copy of Windows 10 if you meet the requirements. You may not think you qualify for a free upgrade, but according to our testing and user reports, Windows 10 is still free...
  5. Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?

Is free Windows 10 upgrade still legitimate?: I recently did a free upgraded of my Windows 7 computer to Windows10 using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Even though the free upgrade offer expired about four years ago, the new install of Windows 10 was activated using a digital licence supplied by MS. I see there...
  6. Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work

in Windows 10 News
    Here is why free upgrades to Windows 10 still work: When Microsoft launched Windows 10 in 2015, it revealed that devices with legitimate Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 licenses could be upgraded to the new operating system free of charge for the first year. The company pushed harder and harder to get devices running earlier...
  7. Free Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade offer

Free Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade offer: I have Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit created on USB through the Media Creation Tool will Windows 7 users still be able to use there Windows 10 Pro 64 as activated if something goes wrong after July 29,2016 28187
  8. New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification

in Windows 10 News
    New end of free Windows 10 upgrade offer notification: If you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), the following full-screen notification might appear on your computer: Sorry to interrupt, but this is important. Windows 10 free upgrade offer ends July 29. [img] This notification is a reminder...
  9. Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is The Windows 10 Free Upgrade Still Free?: Hmm I firstly thought that free upgrade to windows 10 has end but now I see MS giving away windows 10 free again in this wsite?- Here 74024
  10. Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Still Not Willing to Offer Windows 10 for Free to Pirates: An option to buy it will, however, be available Microsoft has a goal of bringing Windows 10 on 1 billion devices by 2017, and there's no doubt that the number one priority right now in Redmond is to upgrade as many Windows 7 users as possible. But one of the biggest...