Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes after a few minutes of being idle (and can only be rebooted the hard way)

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes after a few minutes of being idle (and can only be rebooted the hard way) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys, At the moment I am having an issue with Windows 10 that is being mentioned these days (and before) all over the internet. Since a week or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TheoMeder, Jan 2, 2019.

1. TheoMeder Win User

Windows 10 freezes after a few minutes of being idle (and can only be rebooted the hard way)

Hey guys,

At the moment I am having an issue with Windows 10 that is being mentioned these days (and before) all over the internet.

Since a week or so, Windows 10 freezes the mouse, the keyboard and the screen after being left idle for some minutes. The only action that can be taken is: give the computer a hard reboot with the power button. Sometimes this is not needed: Windows 10 then reboots on its own.

A zillion ‘solutions’ can be found on the internet, but I still haven’t found one that works for me.

Of course there are the hardware guys who suggests it may have something to do with the cooling, the power supply, with the motherboard or some faulty USB socket. No, it has nothing to do with that. My Acer desktop PC is a month old and works perfectly fine. I can work on it for hours without any problems. I just should not leave the PC alone for some minutes, because then it crashes, and all my unsaved work is lost.

Then there are the people who say it must be a software problem. I agree, so far. They suggest you need all the new drivers – well, I’ve got them. Or some settings may be wrong: disable sleep mode and screensaver. Did all that – no solution. Forbid Windows to shut down on its own: I did that with several settings, but Windows 10 freezes and in the end shuts down anyway.

Another suggestion is: make a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I did that twice and it looked like a solution. But then, all of a sudden, the issue reappears, even when there is hardly any other software installed on my machine.

Let’s face it, Microsoft: the problem is with Windows 10 itself. Somewhere there is a bug on one of the updates (an update that keeps returning, whatever you do) and that makes my computer crash. Only when it’s standing idle. In this idle time, Windows 10 is starting a process (defragging, checking software, I don’t know) and it stumbles upon a problem it can’t handle.

Event Viewer mentions the same critical error time and again with the Kernel Power. Duh! That’s me or Windows 10 spontaneously shutting down!

But then there is also a warning popping up about Hello for Business, saying:

Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched.

Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested

User has logged on with AAD credentials: No

Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested

Windows Hello for Business post-logon provisioning is enabled: Not Tested

Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested

User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes

User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested

Machine is governed by none policy.

Hello for Business is some kind of security software for facial recognition and fingerprints. It comes with an update – time and again. You can make a clean reinstall- in due time Hello for Business returns, and since I don’t have Windows 10 for Business, but only the Windows Home version, I can not shut Hello for Business down – there are just no options to do that. What is Hello for Business doing in Windows Home software anyway? I don’t have a camera, I don’t have a fingerprint pad. I don’t need Hello for Business, I don’t want Hello for Business! It is only making Windows 10 crash in idle time!

I don’t really need a response to this, because I already read them all. Most are crappy or completely beside the point, some are incomprehensible, a few are technically dangerous – and nothing, literally nothing works. The only thing that will work is: Microsoft providing us with a new Windows 10 update as soon as possible that either solves this problem with idle time, or kills Hello. Preferably both.

:)

TheoMeder, Jan 2, 2019

2. Windows 10 freezes/deadlocks after being left idle for a few minutes

I have done all of what you suggested, and it still freezes when idle for a few minutes. I have just performed a 1 hour + download. Five minutes later, while the computer was idle, Windows 10 froze.

Bill Nettles, Jan 2, 2019
  3. reboot/freeze problem

my computer runs fine for about 20-30 minutes and then reboots/freezes(sometime it reboots, sometimes it freezes)
    i have an evga 680i A1 board, 4x1gig xms2 dhx, q6600, 2x8800ultra's, 2x150gb raptors, pci-e wireless n card.

i have tried running the computer at stock speeds and voltages and have the same problem, so it's not an overclock issue.

it seems to be a software problem. but where do i start? the computer run @3.6ghz can run all night(9hours) orthos stable, but when im using it, it locks up every 20-30 minutes.

any suggestions?

Fitseries3, Jan 2, 2019
  4. nikolacc Win User

Windows 10 freezes after a few minutes of being idle (and can only be rebooted the hard way)

Hard freezing on idle

Ok so this is unbearable.My laptop freezes on idle in a few minutes,abd needs to be restarted. I tried fresh clean feature but it either freezes or doesnt work. I tried istalling one from the media thing and still it froze.I tried reseting the pc and it cant move past 1%. Is it something with hard drive ? I am becoming frustrated guys !

nikolacc, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 freezes after a few minutes of being idle (and can only be rebooted the hard way) - Similar Threads - freezes few minutes

2. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  3. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  4. Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes: When i leave my laptop idle for some time the screen goes black as if it was turned off, the fans still make sound along with the keyboard backlight still working, pressing power button turns off the computer without saving any tasks that were previously running. This is...
  5. Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes

Screen goes black after being idle for a few minutes: When i leave my laptop idle for some time the screen goes black as if it was turned off, the fans still make sound along with the keyboard backlight still working, pressing power button turns off the computer without saving any tasks that were previously running. This is...
  6. CMD Closing after being left idle for a few minutes.

CMD Closing after being left idle for a few minutes.: I was using CMD and I left it alone for a few minutes. When I go to see the app, it is now gone. I have been trying to see what is going on for a few hours and I could not see anything that would help. I searched it up on Microsoft's official help section on their website and...
  7. Windows 10 freezing after leaving it idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 freezing after leaving it idle for a few minutes: Hello, the freezing started a week ago and happens once a day. I tried the chkdsk command and the command for repairing image in PowerShell. The HDD is set to never turn off. System SSD and HDD for games are both fine. Do you have any suggestions? Edit: took a look in event...
  8. Windows 10 Hard Freezing if left idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Hard Freezing if left idle for a few minutes: Hi all, my Windows 10 PC has been freezing (and requiring a hard restart) if I leave it idle for just a few minutes. The amount of time is inconsistent but its usually around 30 minutes. The PC has never ever had this issue before, and it's only started occurring ever since...
  9. Windows 10 freezes only a few minutes after startup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 freezes only a few minutes after startup.: Hello. I have recently reset my laptop and everything was working fine until a large update needed to be installed. It got to 21% and suddenly ran into an issue which restarted my pc. Afterwards, while it was booting, an error saying "Media test failure check cable" and it...
  10. Windows 10 reboots when idle for a few minutes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 reboots when idle for a few minutes: My ASUS All-in-one PC running windows 10 was shut down for 6 weeks while I was travelling. When I turned it on a few days ago the background screen was different. Now it reboots after being idle for a few minutes. I tried all I know with power management settings,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows hangs after few minutes idle