Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details)

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a very strange and complex problem in Windows 10 that makes the computer unusable. It goes as follows: -I start up the computer. It shows the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrandonSky, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details)

I have a very strange and complex problem in Windows 10 that makes the computer unusable. It goes as follows:

-I start up the computer. It shows the normal Windows 10 loading cog screen, but at a certain point it waits 10 seconds for a disk check (which I have already done).

-If I skip the disk check by pressing a key, it moves straight into the Windows login screen. But a few seconds later, the computer simply freezes. If I wait a few seconds without pressing anything, the hard disk activity light is stuck on (red) and the entire computer freezes. The mouse cursor still works, as does the caps, scroll and num lock key lights turn on and off, but no buttons can be pressed or even highlighted by hovering the cursor over.

-Sometimes I can press enter to open the password, but or it freezes while I am entering the password, it freezes just as I hit Enter, or if I use the mouse to click the arrow button, it even logs in, the wallpaper appears, the taskbar, some icons load but after a few seconds it just freezes completely.

Note that all freezes are the same: hard disk activity light stuck on, cursor works perfectly, caps, scroll and num lock key lights turn on and off perfectly, but nothing can be clicked, moved, or highlighted by hovering the cursor over it, it is just a frozen screenshot with a functional cursor.

-I have also tried booting in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. But it also freezes, the same way as the others, but this time at a black screen with a functional cursor. This screen also appeared after the disk check I did before.

Please note that all of this happens every time.

I have already tried the following commands in a recovery drive command prompt:

-/bootrec: /fixmbr works, /fixboot gives access denied, /rebuildbcd does not work.

-sfc /scannow: it scans, but then says it could not do the requested operation.
    -Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth: cannot be done because it is a recovery drive; I tried /Image, but gives error 2.

-/chkdsk: goes about 30-40%, then just stops inexplicably. The same thing happens when I try to copy large amounts of files from the hard drive to the recovery drive.

Any ideas?

:)

BrandonSky, Jul 14, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 14, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    Windows 10 freezing at log in

Hello Frank,

A failed update or one-time startup process can sometimes cause stopping, freezing, or reboot-loop issues during the login process. To isolate the issue, we suggest that you answer the following questions:

• Do you have a USB device attached? If yes, can you remove the device and log in again.
    • Have you tried turning off the WiFi feature in your laptop before logging in?
    • How about running a Startup Repair in your Windows 10 laptop? (Boot to Advanced Startup Options>Click on Troubleshoot> Click on Advanced options> Click on Startup Repair)
    • Aside from the above steps, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Jul 14, 2019
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details)

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Jul 14, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details)

1. Windows 10 freezes at login after startup (open for details) - Similar Threads - freezes login startup

2. Windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes after startup: I had a windows update notification and let it do its thing. Upon restarting I noticed the startup was a little slower than usual, none of my desktop apps were appearing and the taskbar was empty. After waiting for about 30 seconds my desktop apps appear then disappear...
  3. Windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes after startup: I had a windows update notification and let it do its thing. Upon restarting I noticed the startup was a little slower than usual, none of my desktop apps were appearing and the taskbar was empty. After waiting for about 30 seconds my desktop apps appear then disappear...
  4. Windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 freezes after startup: My problem started today. It appeared for the first time on a session which froze and gave me a weird blue screen not the blue screen of death. I turned it off long press on the power button of my laptop and restarted. It again gave me a weird freeze with change of display...
  5. Windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes after startup: My problem started today. It appeared for the first time on a session which froze and gave me a weird blue screen not the blue screen of death. I turned it off long press on the power button of my laptop and restarted. It again gave me a weird freeze with change of display...
  6. Windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. windows 10 freezes for first few minutes on startup after login

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 freezes for first few minutes on startup after login: Hi,My Desktop Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 16Gb RAM, , Windows 10 20H2 and now 21H1 updated but issue same was fine till last month, recently there is an issue coming up that after login during startup, it freeze for some time say 3 to 5 min, it wont allow apps to...
  8. windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 freezes after startup: There seems to have been a recent update which has resulted in a return of a previous problem of randowm freezes, especially shortly after start up. Any advice on how to fix it?...
  9. windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 freezes after startup: Windows 10 Pro running on Dell 5810 desktop, as upgrade from windows 7 64B. Win vers.1909, build 18363.778 The problem: At startup, after regular boot and UAC completion I get a regular window with Fences correctly run and several start apps regularly run. But missing...
  10. windows 10 freezes after startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 freezes after startup: Windows 10 Pro running on Dell 5810 desktop, as upgrade from windows 7 64B. Win vers.1909, build 18363.778 The problem: At startup, after regular boot and UAC completion I get a regular window with Fences correctly run and several start apps regularly run. But missing...