Windows 10: Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

Discus and support Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Lawrence_Lim, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine before this. I was formating the PC few times but still experiencing the same issue after few days. I discovered that the PC started freezing after the "sysmain" process get done by the hard disk usage on 0% from 90%+.PC Specs:- Intel Core i7-6700-ASUS B150 Pro Gaming/Aura-16GB Kingston DDR4 2133Mhz-1TB Western Digital Cavair

:)

Lawrence_Lim, Oct 21, 2021

2. Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

It happened again! This time, I was not watching a video. CPU temperature was about 20C.

Here's what I had open:
    • Two Microsoft Word (an old XP version) windows
    • Two Chrome windows with lots of tabs
    • Microsoft OneNote, the desktop app

If I could describe the problem, it would probably be that I can move the mouse cursor but not click on something. I supposed freeze is seeming like the wrong way to describe this now. It's so weird.

I'm going to try a different tactic now focusing on the mouse. I have X-Mouse Button Control installed. Next time the freeze happens, I'm going to check if this program can detect any button pushes. I'm using a Logitech M705 mouse. I don't see any drivers on Logitech's page, but there is a firmware update for the wireless receiver that I will install. Any other tips for checking the mouse?

ComputerBen, Oct 21, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Mouse cursor keeps freezing

Hi Colin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the following questions to help you further:

• When does the mouse freeze?
    • Are you using a USB mouse or touchpad of laptop?
    • Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Are you aware of any changes made on the computer recently?

However, you can try updating the mouse driver and check if that resolves the issue. Follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10
    to update the mouse drivers.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 21, 2021
  4. OneMoar Win User

Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

Problems with mouse cursor lockup.

take the canned air to it with gusto and see what happens
    I used to burn though a mouse every year back when Played competitive quake 3 and it s mods

OneMoar, Oct 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

1. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working - Similar Threads - freezes mouse cursor

2. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  3. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works: I have an MSI laptop running Windows 10 and it's been working great until a couple of weeks ago. I have my laptop screen and a separate monitor connected via an HDMI cable. The problem is, both my displays freeze up after a random amount of time, however, I know it's only the...
  4. Windows 10 Display Freezes but Mouse Still Works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  6. Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 freezes but the mouse cursor still working: Hi, I'm experiencing Windows 10 freezes on the 1st startup, however, the mouse cursor is still working but unable to click anything and the PC was fine on working for few hours after the restart by pressing the reset button.It happened since early October and it was fine...
  7. Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing but mouse cursor still functions: I'm having a problem with Windows 10 freezing at random times. It happens when I'm playing a game or just being idle. The mouse pointer will still move, and I'm able to open the start menu but when clicking buttons and trying to open the task manager, nothing actually...
  8. windows freezes but mouse still works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows freezes but mouse still works: so im doing this for my brother. so yesterday he opened his computer and then it said Toshiba like it always has and then when the screen turned to the lock screen nothing showed up except his lock screen background and his mouse whatever button you pressed nothing happened...
  9. Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Freezes but mouse cursor and keyboard still work - must reboot: Greetings, I have what I think is a pretty unusual freezing problem on my Windows 10 machine that I'm hoping someone can help me with. This only started happening after I upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit last fall. I did a fresh install on a brand new...
  10. Mouse Cursor Freezing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse Cursor Freezing: I don't know if this is a repeat question, hopefully it isn't, but I'm not finding anything that looks like my situation. I use a drawing tablet and a mouse. As far as I can tell, this only occurs when I use the mouse, but it affects both. Occasionally the mouse will...