Windows 10: Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?

Discus and support Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I've been having this issue since 1 year and am not able to fix it. 2 screen connected. The PCs freezes. Both screens display the average... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kABUSE, May 13, 2020.

1. kABUSE Win User

Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?

Hello,

I've been having this issue since 1 year and am not able to fix it.

2 screen connected. The PCs freezes. Both screens display the average color that is currently displayed on each of them. No BSOD.

The sound continues for quite some time until the comp fully gives up. The "NUM" LED on the keyboard can no longer be turned on and off. Multimedia keyboard keys cannot be used to change/mute sound volume. I suspect the comp is dead at that point already. Sound seems to continue for weird reasons. It starts glitching up after like 10-30 seconds. PC keeps doing "things" until you keep pressing the power button to force-shut it.

Tried different sound card /removing internal sound card.

Tried different slots for GPU and sound card on motherboard.

Tried all sorts of driver versions.

Tried both RAM modules individually. It seems to has become more frequent with only on one RAM module, but the error occurs with any module individually and with both modules.

Nothing is overclocked or in some way tweaked.

It is not temperature related. Entire system is liquid cooled. Can happen minutes after starting PC. Doesn't necessarily happen during a 2 hours stress test.

Specs:
    CPU: i7 6700K
    Board: Maximus VII Hero
    GPU: AMD Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled 8 GB HBM2 (a super rare card, ~0.01% market share)
    RAM: SKU CMK16GX4M2B3000C15. VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
    Windows 10 64 Bit Enterprise
    Sound Cards tested: Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCI-E 2.0) / Sound BlasterX G5 (USB)
    PSU: 1000-Watt-be-quiet--Dark-Power-Pro-11

I cannot reproduce this error by any means. It happens totally random. No matter the CPU or GPU load. Doesn't happen in benchmarks. It happens ROUGHLY every 10 hours of PC usage. Can happen even in idle.

I now ordered a replacement GPU to see, if the error still occurs. If it does continue, I'll send it back.

It hasn't arrived yet. I don't want to sell the old graphics card on ebay as working, because I am no ass. But I also don't really want to sell it as defective, because then I get like 100 bucks for a ~350-400 card (current price).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

kABUSE, May 13, 2020
  2. Zeel Win User

Screen freezing but sound continues

Thanks for the tip there. I've now udated the drivers for my sound card. Unfortunately it didn't help - still the occasional freeze. But that was well worth trying definitely.

So a few things I've done:

• Updated graphics card drivers
    • Checked for viruses
    • Put RAM in dual channel configuration (both slots 2 and 4, and 1 and 3)
    • Used just one (4GB) stick of RAM at a time - both sticks
    • Updated sound card drivers
    • Run CCleaner
    • Cleaned out any dust from inside the case

All good ideas, but none have helped unfortunately. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be eager to hear. If not - the tips so far have been much appreciated. Thank you for those. I could look around for an old graphics card somewhere just to try out, see if that helps. I don't mind replacing that (or any other component), but just want to know which one to replace first! Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective? :)

3. AndreePin Win User
    graphics card problems

Hi,

Your computer makes a noise or beeps from your internal speaker because it failed to detect the graphics card. What we can suggest is for you to try cleaning your graphics card with a pencil eraser. Here are the steps below:

• Turn your computer off.
    • Pull out your video/graphics card.
    • Rubbed the cold contacts with soft pencil eraser.
    • Connect your video/graphics card back to the computer.
    Kindly note that this is just a temporary fix. If the case still continues, I suggest that you contact your graphics card's manufacturer.

Let us know how it goes.

AndreePin, May 13, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?

Graphics card information.

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

The error might occur if the Graphic card is cannot update the driver automatically.

I suggest you to update the graphic card manually by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager.
    • Expand Display Driver from the list.
    • Right click on the Graphic driver and select
      update driver software.

Also, can download the latest version of the graphic card from the manufacturer website.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective?

1. Windows 10 Freezes, Sound continues, Graphics Card defective? - Similar Threads - Freezes Sound continues

2. PC Randomly freezes with my screen having a weird graphic issue, but all sounds continue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Randomly freezes with my screen having a weird graphic issue, but all sounds continue: Greetings, I've been using my PC for a solid year now with no issues, I usually freeze Windows updates, but until a solid 2months ago i finally decided to update windows on my PCBut until a month ago my PC started having random issues with my PC freezing and having a weird...
  3. PC Randomly freezes with my screen having a weird graphic issue, but all sounds continue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Randomly freezes with my screen having a weird graphic issue, but all sounds continue: Greetings, I've been using my PC for a solid year now with no issues, I usually freeze Windows updates, but until a solid 2months ago i finally decided to update windows on my PCBut until a month ago my PC started having random issues with my PC freezing and having a weird...
  4. PC Randomly freezes with my screen having a weird graphic issue, but all sounds continue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 Buzzing Sound/Freezing Screen then continue to act normal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Buzzing Sound/Freezing Screen then continue to act normal: Hey everybody!Let me explain what is happening: I got my new computer like 3 weeks ago. I installed the drivers, provided by the manufacturer. After using my lap top for like 4-5 hours, when watching videos or playing games, the screen freezes while a buzzing sound goes on,...
  6. NO SOUND AFTER SWAPPING MY GRAPHIC CARD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NO SOUND AFTER SWAPPING MY GRAPHIC CARD: I was having issue with my graphic card gigabyte 1060 6gb.the issue was the gpu has 2 dvi ports 1 hdmi and 1 display port all of them was working but all of sudden only hdmi port is working other ports are not working.so i removed the graphic card cleaned it thoroughly and...
  7. Screen freezes and begins to brighten, sound continues

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen freezes and begins to brighten, sound continues: so i just signed up to ask for help with this problem as i couldn't find anyone having the same issue. --- the problem?: the screen occasionally freezes (all movement on it stops but sound continues like there's no freeze), after freezing the screen starts getting brighter...
  8. Windows 10 graphic card

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 graphic card: Hi, This is my first post and although trawling back through other threads I havn`t found a previous answer to my query. I have installed Windows 10 to my Dell desk top PC and all is OK apart from the ATI RV370 video controller which needs upgrading. This I am more than...
  9. Windows 10 or Graphic card issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 or Graphic card issue: [img] Hi, Any advice on this? 69595
  10. Screen freezing but sound continues

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen freezing but sound continues: Over the past week or so I'm getting occasional screen freezes - at first it was while gaming (World of Warcraft), but I'm finding the same thing can occur when I'm only using a web browser (Firefox), without WoW running at all. Today this happened while I was watching a...