Windows 10: Windows 10 freezing during low CPU loads

Discus and support Windows 10 freezing during low CPU loads in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I've had a freezing problem ever since I built this computer several months ago. The freezes only occur during low cpu usage, such as sitting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jelly145, May 29, 2019.

1. Jelly145 Win User

Windows 10 freezing during low CPU loads

Hello,

I've had a freezing problem ever since I built this computer several months ago. The freezes only occur during low cpu usage, such as sitting idle or browsing the web. They do not occur at regular intervals — I've had freezes after letting the mouse sit for a second, and no freezes even after leaving the computer idle for several hours.

Things I've tried to resolve this:

I've checked the Event Viewer for more details but I'm not sure what to look for. Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

:)

Jelly145, May 29, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Strange freezing under GPU and CPU load.

My main rig has been suffering from very random complete freezes over the past month, which require a hard reset. And I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here are the facts:

• It only does it when the GPU and CPU are under a lot of load(i.e. Folding)
    • It does it rather often while playing Plants vs. Zombies, which is probably due to the high GPU/CPU load.
    • It does it with everything at stock speeds.
    • When I reboot the computer after the freeze. All of the websites that I've logged into, such as TPU, require me to log in again. <-- This one is really strange to me.
    • PSU fan has started to noticeably click when I shut the computer down, but I know it is still spinning, but maybe not fast enough?
    Here is what I've tried:

• Reset everything to stock.
    • Swapped out 3 different video cards.
    • Ran CPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Ran GPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Added second auxilary PSU to power GPU only.
    • Removed 2 sticks of RAM.
    That is kind of where I'm stumped.

I thought maybe it was the PSU, so I tried to take some load off of it by adding an auxilary PSU I had laying around. That didn't help at all, though I still think it might be the PSU, so I ordered a Corsair HX850, which should be here this week. The PSU is almost 3 years old at this point.

My next guess is the HDD, and I only say that because it seems like every time the computer freezes, it corrupts any cookies I have stored, forcing me to log into every website again. Also, it is probably older than the PSU at this point. If the new PSU doesn't fix it, a new HDD is probably my next step.

I also found it very stange that it crashes a lot with Plants vs. Zombies(girlfriend loves it, which pisses her off more than me, but gets me in trouble every time it freezes just as she is about to win a level). However, I figured out that even though it is a very simple game graphically, it uses a lot of CPU and GPU power(it is hardware accellerated and does use a lot of the CPU when there is a lot of stuff going on). I haven't had a freeze in any other game, including Just Cause 2, which I've been playing extensively.

Am I overlooking anything?

newtekie1, May 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 freezing due to high CPU usage.

I installed Windows 10 yesterday. Now when I turn on my computer and sign in after about 30 seconds on the desktop it's starts to freeze and lag a lot! I manage to open Task manager in that 30 seconds and it says "system" uses around 90+% of the cpu and
    then other processes make it up to 99% of the cpu being used. There's no way to stop it as if I try to open another thing it freezes and stops working. Ive tried going into the updates list to maybe uninstall the updates but it freezes loading up the list
    as it's to much for the cpu. The only way I can get it to work is to unplug the computer and turn it back on but it just keeps recurring over and over again. I don't know what's wrong!

michaelryan1727, May 29, 2019
  4. wt_lesny Win User

Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, May 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 freezing during low CPU loads - Similar Threads - freezing during low

2. CPU temp very high on low load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU temp very high on low load: I've noticed since a few days ago, my PC fans have been running very hard. I thought it was the settings on BIOS, so I checked and the settings were still the same. However, once I dug deeper and used RealTemps to check the temps of my CPU, turns out it's my CPU that is...
  3. CPU temp very high on low load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU temp very high on low load: I've noticed since a few days ago, my PC fans have been running very hard. I thought it was the settings on BIOS, so I checked and the settings were still the same. However, once I dug deeper and used RealTemps to check the temps of my CPU, turns out it's my CPU that is...
  4. BSOD while CPU on low load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD while CPU on low load: I have AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, a few months after using this PC it started freezing and gettings BSOD errors, always different errors all related to memory it always happens when CPU is under 20% utilization.I did RAM tests and SSD tests, tried taking off RAM sticks and putting...
  5. BSOD while CPU on low load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD while CPU on low load: I have AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, a few months after using this PC it started freezing and gettings BSOD errors, always different errors all related to memory it always happens when CPU is under 20% utilization.I did RAM tests and SSD tests, tried taking off RAM sticks and putting...
  6. BSOD while CPU on low load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. PC crashing during low loads

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC crashing during low loads: Hey everyone, I've been having this problem for a few months now. Basically during low loads, my pc freezes after a certain amount of time. This only happens when I'm browsing the internet or on discord with my friends. I don't get a blue screen or anything, just that my...
  8. Low Ram - High CPU Load?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Low Ram - High CPU Load?: Basically the title, if you have a very low amount of RAM, to the point where its bottle necking your computer, can that put more stress on the CPU? And further increase the pressure on it and thus temperature increase? And I guess in general, if you have components in a...
  9. BSOD during CPU and GPU load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD during CPU and GPU load: Hello guys , this is very frustrating , I've bought a used computer a year ago , a few months in I started getting bsods while playing CSGO , It doesn't crash when not running games . It was completely random . I would also get crackling noise in my headphones before...
  10. CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery: Hi, On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the laptop in, the CPU speed returns to 1.98Ghz. This loss of CPU speed has a great impact on system performance, rendering the...