Windows 10: Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix?

Discus and support Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently built a new PC and have been having some of the strangest freezes I've ever seen. When it happens my system doesn't immediately freeze... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jdimaggio, Feb 3, 2021.

1. jdimaggio Win User

Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix?

I recently built a new PC and have been having some of the strangest freezes I've ever seen. When it happens my system doesn't immediately freeze entirely and the process is gradual. For example, I will notice that the system time is behind and I am not able to open anything pinned to the taskbar. If I catch it quick enough I might be able to get into the start menu to open a program from there but this isn't always the case and usually I can't get anything to open and the search feature doesn't work. At this point my opened applications begin to freeze up and I am not able to move, minimize, or maximize them and then everything locks up except for the mouse cursor. At this point my only option is to do a hard reboot. Outside of this annoying issue the machine runs well. Temperatures on my system don't usually exceed 65C under load and I don't notice any performance issues that would indicate there's a problem until stuff is already in the process of locking up.

My troubleshooting steps so far:

1. Checked Event Viewer. There was not a single Error or Warning that seemed to be related to when the issue started. I did notice that there is a gap in what is reported however. For example, I'll see what was happening prior to when the freezing began and then all logging stops entirely until I do a hard shutdown. The last event logs I see leading up to the freeze are four identical Warnings with ID 10016 in a row but I did not see any warnings in Event Viewer when it froze prior to the most recent freeze. The four Warnings all say the exact same thing:
    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user DESKTOP-75853RN\Jake Steel SID (S-1-5-21-1641939006-2086398312-2428281681-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

2. Ran sfc /scannow. It claimed to have repaired corrupted system files and if I check the cbs.log all I see that indicates anything was repaired is this:

2021-02-02 10:12:45, Info CSI 00000071 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
    Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
    New owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2021-02-02 10:12:45, Info CSI 00000072 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\System32\wbem\en-US\ is owned twice or has its security set twice
    Original owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}
    New owner: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Default-Security.Resources, version 10.0.19041.1, arch amd64, culture [l:5]'en-US', nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}

2021-02-02 10:12:45, Info CSI 00000073 Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Windows\help\mui\0409\ is owned twice or has its security set twice

3. Ran chkdsk /f. It had me restart the PC and ran the test prior to booting to the Windows 10 login screen. It went so fast that I didn't get to see if it found anything but I assume that if it doesn't tell you it found something then you're good to go?

4. Updated BIOS to the latest release found on motherboard manufacturer's website.

5. Ran Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) from Safe Mode. Booted back into Windows 10 normally, disconnected network cable so Windows didn't try to automatically download and install display drivers, then installed the latest Nvidia drivers manually (v461.40).

5a. When I got into Safe Mode I noticed that hovering the cursor over the taskbar showed the loading icon. Clicking the taskbar gave me a popup that read "Microsoft Windows - The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait. Do you want to end this process?". I let it sit for a few minutes and it eventually unfroze, but froze again at some point while in Safe Mode and I had to wait for it to sort itself out again.

6. Installed latest chipset for AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs found on AMD's website to overwrite those I found and installed from my motherboard manufacturer's website.

7. Installed Linux (Pop_OS! x64) on a separate partition to see if it experienced any freezing and it did not. I was able to use Linux for 2 days without issue while I seem to be getting at least one lock up a day on Windows 10.

8. During the last two freezes that I was still somewhat able to do things in, I got Task Manager opened and attempted end/restart the explorer.exe process and dwm.exe process. With explorer.exe I could end the process but restarting it just brought me back to the same frozen taskbar, start menu, etc. Trying to end dwm.exe as it will automatically start again and refresh the desktop but it just locked everything up completely forcing a hard reboot.

9. Tried to remote into the frozen PC from another device but the connection never completes.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue to this before? What did you have to do to resolve it? I am currently running Windows 10 20H2 64-bit with two monitors, one is 1440p/144hz and the other is 1080p/60hz.

:)

jdimaggio, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 3, 2021
  3. Windows 10 freezes randomly

I had already tried turning off fast startup, to no avail.
    Will look at the list you provided, thanks. Hard to do when computer freezes on the Windows loading screen though. *Biggrin
    I had tried that as well... no result.

Mountain Dew, Feb 3, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix?

Borderlands freezes and thaws

I'm positive the steps I took above fixed it. I went through 10 rounds in the underdome (well over an hour of gameplay) without a single freeze. Previously, I couldn't play 15 minutes without at least one freeze.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix?

1. Windows 10 Freezing - How to Fix? - Similar Threads - Freezing Fix

2. How do I fix my computer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix my computer freezing: My windows 11 laptop is constantly freezing even when I'm in the lock screen how do I fix this I have to turn the laptop off and then on again to unfreeze it and it's pretty annoying...
  3. How do I fix my computer freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix my computer freezing: My windows 11 laptop is constantly freezing even when I'm in the lock screen how do I fix this I have to turn the laptop off and then on again to unfreeze it and it's pretty annoying...
  4. How to fix my PC from freezing on startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix my PC from freezing on startup?: I’m currently on the most updated version of Windows 11 I’ve been dealing with a problem of mine for over a week now. It started off with my PC not booting to windows properly and beginning the automatic repair, so I would simply restart my PC and everything would be fine....
  5. How to fix my PC from freezing on startup?

How to fix my PC from freezing on startup?: I’m currently on the most updated version of Windows 11 I’ve been dealing with a problem of mine for over a week now. It started off with my PC not booting to windows properly and beginning the automatic repair, so I would simply restart my PC and everything would be fine....
  6. how to fix windows 10 when it freezes on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix windows 10 when it freezes on startup: my windows is freezing on startup. when I restart or open up my desktop, when it arrives at the windows logo and loads, it hangs all the time. All I can do is to go to bios and to save and reset there so I could access my pc. Is there a way to solve this? tried so many...
  7. how to fix windows 10 when it freezes on startup

how to fix windows 10 when it freezes on startup: my windows is freezing on startup. when I restart or open up my desktop, when it arrives at the windows logo and loads, it hangs all the time. All I can do is to go to bios and to save and reset there so I could access my pc. Is there a way to solve this? tried so many...
  8. how to fix windows 10 when it freezes on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Why does my touchpad pointer keep freezing and how to fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my touchpad pointer keep freezing and how to fix?: My touchpad pointer keeps freezing, it only unfreezea once I close and open my laptop. My touchpad has been super slow recently as well, what do it do?? Its windows 11....
  10. Why does my touchpad pointer keep freezing and how to fix?

Why does my touchpad pointer keep freezing and how to fix?: My touchpad pointer keeps freezing, it only unfreezea once I close and open my laptop. My touchpad has been super slow recently as well, what do it do?? Its windows 11....