Windows 10: Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Discus and support Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, As my title says I cannot complete a fresh Windows 10 install from USB using Windows media creation tool. I purchased an NZXT BLD a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HMalone1, Nov 26, 2020.

1. HMalone1 Win User

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Hi Everyone,

As my title says I cannot complete a fresh Windows 10 install from USB using Windows media creation tool. I purchased an NZXT BLD a few months ago and recently received a blue screen crash and of course I didn't write down the error code, because I didn't think this would be an issue. Sure enough, the crash shut my computer down and when it restarted I was automatically in my BIOS. This was the start of my problems.

In case this helps: I have a B450 Aorus wifi Pro Motherboard. 1TB m.2 TeamGroup SSD. 2 x 8GB sticks of tforce Vulcan 3200 MHz RAM. Gigabyte 2070S wind force. I do not have a hard drive or anything like that.

In BIOS I clicked 'save and exit' to see if I could make it back to the windows screen. I was looped back into BIOS after the restart. I tried loading my last good setting in BIOS and the same issue, looped back. I then decided to create a USB drive with the Windows media creation tool installed on it and sure enough, I was able to boot using my thumb drive.

Enter stage 2.

I am now in the Windows installation screen. I made it all the way to Windows Setup and I was asked where I want to install Windows. This is my major hang up now. I have 4 partitions under Drive 0. Partitions 1 and 2 are listed as System and MSR reserved, respectively. Partitions 3 and 4 are listed as Primary and Recovery. Partition looks like it would be my SSD since there is 503 GB left on it so I click 'Delete' and I receive the following error: "we couldn't delete the selected partition. Error: 0x80070001. So I think to try to delete the recovery partition, but the same error message pops up. Partitions 1 and 2 have their "Delete" button greyed out, so I cannot even delete those. I also clicked the "Next" button to install on partition 3, but I receive another error message.

I will provide pictures below for the folks who are better with visuals.

Next - I used Shift + F10 to enter commands.

I have used the following commands:

1. diskpart, list disk, sel dis 0, clean, and then I receive this message " DiskPart has encountered an error: Incorrect Function."

2. diskpart, list part, select part 3 my Primary, Delete part and received this message: " DiskPart has encountered an error: Incorrect Function." So I tried delete part override and received the same message.

3. list volume, select disk 0, clean, received the same error message I have been getting.

I then thought maybe my M.2 is messed up or something and typed in det dis and it populated and said that it was healthy.

Enough with the commands, I thought, so I tried the windows advanced options.

I tried Startup Repair and System Restore, both unsuccessful. Right about now I am considering buying a new M.2 just to get the installation over with, but I think that's pretty wasteful.

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. [​IMG]

:)

HMalone1, Nov 26, 2020
  2. RejZoR Win User

Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

No. I have such setup since Windows XP and it works great. 50GB chuck of drive is reserved for system partition and data partition is the remaining disk size. When installing new OS, I just delete the first partition, recreate new one and install OS. System is installed clean each time and all the existing data remains where it was, on the secondary data partition. This way you can change systems in matter of hours without any fiddling with your stored data.

RejZoR, Nov 26, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

Windows 10 clean install mess up partitions?

If I do a clean install of Windows 10, will it mess up the partitions I have on my 2TB drive?

MxPhenom 216, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions.

1. Windows 10 fresh install. Can't delete/clean disk or partitions. - Similar Threads - fresh install Can't

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. clean install after deleting partitions

clean install after deleting partitions: I have deleted the partitions, and have the unallocated space partition, clicked on next, but it won't progress. There's an hourglass that just sits there. Nothing happening....
  6. Can't delete all partitions for Win 10 clean install

Can't delete all partitions for Win 10 clean install: Hi, When click "custom" during Win 10 clean install via usb drive Window media creation tool download, I still end up with the main c drive that I can't delete, because it's greyed out, as well as the recovery partition that came with my laptop (that I also can not delete...
  7. Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions

Clean Windows 10 Install & Disk Partitions: Hello Two desktop computers each running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I tried to copy an image of the source C: drive to the target C: drive and ran into issues and, I think, in the process messed up the source drive partition table. So I tried to do a clean install of Windows...
  8. Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions

Win 10 Clean install - delete partitions: Clean install from flash drive. I'm just following instructions... All okay up until "...delete each Drive/Partition..." EXCEPT the "Unallocated Space". I do not see the term Unallocated Space. I have 5 partitions 1-5. 1(ESP/System) says don't delete as it's an EFI...
  9. Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10

Deleting All Partitions and Clean install Windows 10: I have a top spec HP Envy DV6 i7 laptop which had Windows 7 on it then upgraded to windows 8 then Windows 10. I have noticed that recently the machine has become really sluggish and Cortana is not working not matter what I try. I have decided to clean install Windows 10...
  10. Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10

Can't delete partitions for clean install of Windows 10: Hi, Sorry if this is a duplicate thread. I looked around but couldn't find a thread with the same problem or a solution. Anyways, I have been trying to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my Acer Switch 10 2-in-1 because my Windows 8.1 fails to boot and it doesn't let me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant clean disk or create partition windows installation

2. acer windows install wont delete partitions

3. fix cant delet partitions when install windows 10

4. windows setup drive wont delete,
  5. Windows cant delete partition windows 10 installation