Windows 10: Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM

Discus and support Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm planning to perform a Win-10-Pro installation from scratch on a new notebook computer delivered with factory OEM pre-installed Win-10-Pro 64 bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wintenprouser, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM

I'm planning to perform a Win-10-Pro installation from scratch on a new notebook computer delivered with factory OEM pre-installed Win-10-Pro 64 bit version that, according to command prompt version number displayed, is a Win-10 build from version 1809 / 2018-October update. I have recently obtained the latest Win-10 64-bit DVD-ISO image download which is the newer 2019-May version and plan to perform a fresh install onto a NEW upgraded virgin hard disc drive that will be installed on the notebook computer prior to the fresh install. This computer is running BIOS in UEFI mode as confirmed by Windows System Information utility from the Win-10-Pro OEM version factory installation that I'm currently running on the factory installed hard disc. The clean install will likely be performed from optical media via the computer's on-board ODD (after I've written the DVD ISO downloaded from Microsoft to an appropriately sized optical disc). Currently, the factory installed Win-10-Pro OEM remains unactivated as I have not given the new computer internet access (neither wireless nor wired) yet since its first boot a few days ago. My questions on the above planned installation exercise are:

1. Since this computer is using UEFI, I am assuming that the Win-10-Pro OEM product key is already stored / embedded in UEFI. From what I have read from other online resources, when a Win-10 OEM product key is already embedded in UEFI, supposedly when a completely fresh installation of Win-10 is performed, the Win-10 installation process is supposed to detect the UEFI product key and use that key to set up Win-10 in the appropriate edition (i.e. Home or Pro, and OEM or non-OEM) accordingly. Is that correct?

2. Assuming the process described in [1] above is true, would a UEFI embedded product key allow for a NEWER version of Win-10 installed and result in the same edition mode (Pro OEM), since the factory installed release is from 2018-October and the version I'm installing from optical disc will be 2019-May?

3. Is it true that after installation, Win-10 will still need to be activated online as an OEM edition, even if product key is already stored in UEFI?

4. I understand that Windows activation can be sensitive to some hardware changes which may re-trigger activation hassles, so I am planning to upgrade and increase RAM amount and upgrade the HDD capacity BEFORE the fresh Win-10 installation is performed. So that upon first activation of the fresh installation, Windows activation will record the upgraded hardware configuration as opposed to the factory delivered hardware configuration. Is this the best approach for this scenario for the most number of available future changes to the hardware (none further of which are planned)?

Thanks for help / input / confirmation on the above questions.

:)

wintenprouser, Sep 24, 2019

2. Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM

I'm planning to perform a Win-10-Pro installation from scratch on a new notebook computer delivered with factory OEM pre-installed Win-10-Pro 64 bit version that, according to command prompt version number displayed, is a Win-10 build from version 1809 / 2018-October update. I have recently obtained the latest Win-10 64-bit DVD-ISO image download which is the newer 2019-May version and plan to perform a fresh install onto a NEW upgraded virgin hard disc drive that will be installed on the notebook computer prior to the fresh install. This computer is running BIOS in UEFI mode as confirmed by Windows System Information utility from the Win-10-Pro OEM version factory installation that I'm currently running on the factory installed hard disc. The clean install will likely be performed from optical media via the computer's on-board ODD (after I've written the DVD ISO downloaded from Microsoft to an appropriately sized optical disc). Currently, the factory installed Win-10-Pro OEM remains unactivated as I have not given the new computer internet access (neither wireless nor wired) yet since its first boot a few days ago. My questions on the above planned installation exercise are:

1. Since this computer is using UEFI, I am assuming that the Win-10-Pro OEM product key is already stored / embedded in UEFI. From what I have read from other online resources, when a Win-10 OEM product key is already embedded in UEFI, supposedly when a completely fresh installation of Win-10 is performed, the Win-10 installation process is supposed to detect the UEFI product key and use that key to set up Win-10 in the appropriate edition (i.e. Home or Pro, and OEM or non-OEM) accordingly. Is that correct?

2. Assuming the process described in [1] above is true, would a UEFI embedded product key allow for a NEWER version of Win-10 installed and result in the same edition mode (Pro OEM), since the factory installed release is from 2018-October and the version I'm installing from optical disc will be 2019-May?

3. Is it true that after installation, Win-10 will still need to be activated online as an OEM edition, even if product key is already stored in UEFI?

4. I understand that Windows activation can be sensitive to some hardware changes which may re-trigger activation hassles, so I am planning to upgrade and increase RAM amount and upgrade the HDD capacity BEFORE the fresh Win-10 installation is performed. So that upon first activation of the fresh installation, Windows activation will record the upgraded hardware configuration as opposed to the factory delivered hardware configuration. Is this the best approach for this scenario for the most number of available future changes to the hardware (none further of which are planned)?

Thanks for help / input / confirmation on the above questions.

wintenprouser, Sep 24, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM

Assume, for example, you were clean installing to an empty disk. If you wished to reserve aone or more partitions for user data, say to the end of available space, you could create that, then install Win 10 to the remaining unallocated space.

Alternatively, clean install Win 10, then shrink C: and create the partiitons you want in the space released.

Of course if you have more than one disk you have more options.

The recovery partition is small- say 700Mb or so. The reserved partition is really small.

Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM [​IMG]

The recovery partition supports automatic repair, advanced boot options, boot to safe mode.
    Without that you could achieve most but not all with a Win 10 boot disk.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Delta6326 Win User

Delta6326, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 fresh installation on computer delivered with Win-10 OEM - Similar Threads - fresh installation computer

2. Fresh Windows 10 installation crashing computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows 10 installation crashing computer: I just built a computer and I'm trying to install windows 10 from A flash drive. Everything seems to work fine until the windows installer restarts the computer. Once the Computer restarts it will re-launch the windows installer instead of finishing the download. If I change...
  3. BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD New Computer Fresh Win 10 Install: Hey Guys, I have just built a new AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Computer (all details in profile) and I am experiencing random BSOD's. I have installed the latest drivers and reinstalled windows but no joy. It seems to happen when I am not actively using the computer (I am a gamer and...
  4. Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bugcheck - on fresh Win 10 install: Hi Guys and gals, I've encountered my first BSOD after a fresh install of Win10, before it, i was getting consistantly different BSOD's. I will start off by saying, temperatures are fine, RAM is tested and fine (memtest 4.5 hours and Windows memory diagnostic). I'm dying...
  5. Fresh install of Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of Win 10: I have an 2014 vintage ASUS Transformer that I would like to wipe clean and buy/install Windows 10. The problem is the original Win 8.1 install seems to be corrupt. It will not update, and if I try to refresh or reinstall, it wants the installation media, which I do not have....
  6. win 10 oem

win 10 oem: Bonjour, je dispose d'un dvd win 10 famille oem 32 bits. Je change de carte mère. je dois installer win 10 famille 64 bits. Est ce possible avec ce dvd? merci https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-oem/e43080ac-4b90-463e-9ce4-c8d7d82e2fe6
  7. fresh win 10

fresh win 10: I had windows insider on a laptop that I want to give to my Grandaughter,so I thought I was installing a fresh copy of win 10,but it went back to windows 7. Now how can I get back to a fresh copy of win 10? Please help,Thanks Steve...
  8. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?: I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it. I verified this by using : slmgr -dli. Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key. Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro. If so what are...
  9. Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive): hi, i need help on windows 10 OEM installation. So i bought SSD and want to install it on my laptop. i have the Windows 10 Home single language OEM key installed. the question is how can i install windows on the SSD with oem key? do i need the Windwos 10 Home Single language...
  10. Fresh Install Win 10

Fresh Install Win 10: My two PC were free upgraded to Win 10 last year. I want to re install the Win 10 on one of that PC due to virus in that PC which is not getting removed. My question is, how to re install Win 10 and how it will be activated. Do I need to note down some thing from this PC to...