Windows 10: Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and...

Discus and support Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just purchased a new computer running Windows 10 Home and it's great. The only problem is that I can't get the FTP connection to my remote server... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by intrados, Jan 8, 2019.

1. intrados Win User

Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and...

I just purchased a new computer running Windows 10 Home and it's great. The only problem is that I can't get the FTP connection to my remote server working correctly with any program (WinSCP, FileZilla, etc.). On my older computer (Windows 8) using the exact same login information it works just fine. And the other people who access that same server report no difficulty.

On the new machine: SFTP to remote server works both with password and RSA key and passphrase. PuTTY works to provide shell access with no problem.

I'm able to navigate through folders in the WinSCP commander view, delete files, and make modifications to file properties.

The problem is that I can't place local files onto the server with drag and drop or by any other means.

Specific errors during upload attempt:
    1. Server unexpectedly closed network connection.
    2. Copying files to remote side failed.

I can try to reconnect, but it just loops continuously. It places a file with the same name and extension on the server but with 0 bytes (that I then have to log in to delete).

Can this be my Windows 10 configuration stopping the connection? I've tried to allow through firewall with dedicated rules. Even turned firewall off entirely. No luck.

The user logging in through WinSCP is the owner of all folders and files on the server. I've also tried logging in as root with same result.

I've run out things to try and am looking for help. Any ideas?

Thanks!

WinSCP log file shows:

. 2019-01-07 21:06:59.155 Copying "C:\[…]\file" to remote directory started.
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.157 Binary transfer mode selected.
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.157 Opening remote file.
    > 2019-01-07 21:06:59.157 Type: SSH_FXP_OPEN, Size: 96, Number: 33539
    < 2019-01-07 21:06:59.190 Type: SSH_FXP_HANDLE, Size: 13, Number: 33539
    > 2019-01-07 21:06:59.190 Type: SSH_FXP_WRITE, Size: 1607, Number: 34054
    > 2019-01-07 21:06:59.191 Type: SSH_FXP_CLOSE, Size: 13, Number: 34308
    > 2019-01-07 21:06:59.191 Type: SSH_FXP_SETSTAT, Size: 92, Number: 33801
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.234 Server unexpectedly closed network connection
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.234 Connection was lost, asking what to do.
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.234 Asking user:
    . 2019-01-07 21:06:59.234 Server unexpectedly closed network connection. ()
    * 2019-01-07 21:07:01.220 (ESshFatal) Server unexpectedly closed network connection.
    * 2019-01-07 21:07:01.220 Copying files to remote side failed.

:)

intrados, Jan 8, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

FTP Server [With its own file Database] ?

I don't see a reason why the FTP needs to index the files before hand and not just read the directory when it is needed.

Of course the main reason against this is that any system like this wouldn't be up to date. Once the files system is indexed, if changes are made via something other than the FTP server itself the FTP server index would be outdate.

We see similar issues with Windows Indexing, a file can be deleted and it still shows up in the index, or a file can be created and it doesn't show up in the index.

Reading the actual file structure the moment it is requested insures that the file list is accurate, and really uses very little system resources.

newtekie1, Jan 8, 2019
  3. newfellow Win User
    FTP Server [With its own file Database] ?

Consider, if you would be running lefts 10-100 hard drive FTP. What happens, if for example user got for 'Folder A'

1. Hard drive has to power up because there is no cache
    2. Hard drive has to read / list causes most of the problems for breaking hard drive.

^ Those 2 alone are reason to build hundreds of thousands costing softwares. So, why not simply caching code for FTP software.

To access File system index hardware has to be powered up = pretty big no no.
    The FTP server index should be always out of date of course. timed checks only or manual update required to avoid bad copies from being added and generally it is good to know when newly added data would be in server instead of instant.

Yes, but I was referring that FTP Index should be working exactly like Windows Registry not like Windows Indexing. Directly on memory.

yes, this is true, but it fights everything I am searching for as index would read single location. reading 'on-site' would be hundreds of thousands of locations possibly which would raise every single hardware there would be in speed to do so.

-edit-

and on top of that I am testing here some of personal coding (trust me I suck at coding takes a lot even if I begin to try, hehe). Anyway, to build such database which would index would actually take less than 40 seconds for 300000 pictures with in 21000 folders structure. This list includes all nessessary information for <content>, Attributes, Size and could be shown clean out from server.

according to that calculation no matter how large the actual cache/index would be it would still be incredible fast and even this could be improved very very much considering with something like MySQL.

newfellow, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and...

connection to a remote secure ftp server using windows 10 pro file explorer

I have to storage servers at home (ie. cloud servers). When at home I use my desktop to edit and maintain files on one or both storage servers. One is older and is available to the outside world through FTP. The other is newer and had my more protected
    files and is available only via SFTP. To access my ftp server, I put ftp://w9dg.dyndns.org in my windows file explorer path bar and it prompts me for an ID and login. I can see all the ftp server files. My other server should be accessible through sftp://w9dg.dyndns.org.
    I use port mapping to get me to the correct server.

With my android devices and an ftp program I can get to either server remotely from either my phone or Samsung tablet. I now have a Windows Surface Pro 3. I have remotely connected other computers using sftp://w9dg.dyndns.org in the address bar, but I
    cannot on this Surface Pro 3. Is there a setting I need to turn on or a mapping procedure to connect remotely to my secure ftp server?

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the
    Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

JohnMarcus1, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and...

1. Windows 10 FTP issue copying files to remote server. They are placed with 0 bytes and... - Similar Threads - FTP issue copying

2. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  3. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  4. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  6. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  7. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

8. 0 bytes Files, Drive failure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 bytes Files, Drive failure: Hi, I have recently met a problem with my Data Drive. Alot of my Files have been appearing as 0kb and unusable, many of them video files that I remember watching just fine a few months ago (2-3 months). Some game files have also been turning 0kb, making some of my Steam...
  9. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Copying files to remote side failed.OOPS: priv_sock_get_int

2. Copying files to remote side failed. Could not create file.

3. copying files to remote side failed.