Windows 10: Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications

Discus and support Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While I copy information from a Windows 10 FTP network location, all my Office applications seem to come to a complete halt. Any idea why this might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MandyShaw, Aug 28, 2020.

1. MandyShaw Win User

Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications

While I copy information from a Windows 10 FTP network location, all my Office applications seem to come to a complete halt.

Any idea why this might be or how I can resolve it?

It's great as a work prevention scheme, but that's about all.

Office 365, up to date as of a couple of days ago.

:)

MandyShaw, Aug 28, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

add a network location windows 10

Hi Erich,

Adding a network place in Windows allows you to access FTP, Windows file shares, and some HTTP servers directly in My Network Places, without having to use an FTP client.
    To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you getting any error messages when you tried adding a network location?
    • Are you trying to add a network location or map a network drive?

Meanwhile, if you're adding a network location, we suggest that you follow these steps below about adding a network location:

• Open This PC in File Explorer, click on the Computer tab, click on the
      Add a network location button in the ribbon.
    • Click on Next in the Add Network Location wizard.
    • Click on Choose a custom network location, and click on
      Next
    • Type the address of the website, FTP site, or network location you want to add, and click on
      Next.
    • If you are allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, click on
      Next
    • Type a name you want for this network location in This PC, and click on
      Next
    • If you are not allowed to log on anonymously to this network location, then uncheck the
      Log on anonymously box, enter the user name for the network location, and click on
      Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • If you could not log on anonymously to this network location, you will see a
      Log On As
      dialog prompting you to enter the user name and password for this network location. Check the
      Save password box if you do not want to be required to type the user name and password every time you access this network location. Click on
      Log On when finished.
    • The network location will now open.

If you're mapping a network, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to map a network drive.

Let us know if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 28, 2020
  3. BillWatts Win User
    File explorer - adding a FTP site as an Network Location - BUGS

When attempting to add a FTP network location in File explorer There are problems

If using an ftp site normally when specifying the website, I can enter it as

L: ftp://test01:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***
    This works fine

• But as many sites now use the full email address as the sign on Then
    ftp://*** Email address is removed for privacy ***:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

will not work as the parsing of the string above confuses because of the multiple @ signs

• So as an alternative I specify the site as
    L: ftp://*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

then right click on the network location name under “This PC”

and “Logon as” gives the dialog box where I enter The UID
    L: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

and the password and click save password

This works OK BUT when I create a second Network Location test02 with the same as 2 above Then

• When I open test01 and access it ok then close File explorer and then Open new File explorer and click on network location test02 I go to the test01 site. Whatever was the last site accessed is what is opened. The only way out is to
      always use the “logon as” feature
    Summary – problem 1 is the parsing of the ftp string, Problem 2 is file explorer goes to wrong site

BillWatts, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications

Add native FTP feature in Windows 10 Mobile's File Explorer

I noticed that Windows 10 Mobile lacks the functionality to connect to an FTP server. This is unlike the Windows 10 File Explorer on PC where connecting to an FTP server is built-in and needs no extra applications to aid with the connecting. I would like
    to suggest native FTP connectivity a feature in Windows 10 Mobile's File Explorer, since it would be easier without the need of a third-party application.

It would be great to move files from a Windows 10 Mobile device over to an FTP server that is located at home or at the office. Therefore, I am suggesting this.

Lumia 625 user, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications

1. Windows 10 FTP network location hangs Office applications - Similar Threads - FTP network location

2. hanging applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hanging applications: So i just recently encountered explorer.exe hanging for over 9 minutes and it did nothing. isn't there a hangtime detection system "event viewer does recognize it hung" that's supposed to remove the hung application?"The program explorer.exe version 10.0.22621.1344 stopped...
  3. hanging applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hanging applications: So i just recently encountered explorer.exe hanging for over 9 minutes and it did nothing. isn't there a hangtime detection system "event viewer does recognize it hung" that's supposed to remove the hung application?"The program explorer.exe version 10.0.22621.1344 stopped...
  4. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  5. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server: Total newb here. Trying to set up a file server in Windows 10. I've set up IIS services FTP service, FTP extensibility, and IIS management console. I created a test site with a physical path to a local folder. I set up a port forward 21 with xFinity they say my server doesn't...
  6. Connecting to FTP Windows 10 FTP server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Command Prompt FTP hanging on 'put' command

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt FTP hanging on 'put' command: The user that is having this issue accidentally hit cancel on the Windows Firewall prompt to allow the connection when he first tried the command.After trying to use the 'put' command, it hangs on this line: 200 PORT subcommand request successfulI tried allowing the ftp.exe...
  8. Windows 10 Application Hang

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Application Hang: Hello everyone, last night I was gaming on my PC, as time went on and I got bored, I began switching server's in game, every hour to two hours. However, when I switched to another server, and right as it was joining I should note my application hung according to Windows. I...
  9. Application hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Application hang: Hi there I have windows ver 2004 OS Build 1904.421 but security update is ver 19041.329 and am getting a message stating "Standard Hardware not supported on your device. My pc is having problems opening windows and freezing nearly all the time. How do I get back to the...
  10. Windows 10 default applications location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 default applications location: Hi. I just got Xbox Game Pass and wanted to install a game from it. However when I want to install on any drive other than C it asks me to change default applications location as chosen drive is not configured. When I then try to change it it warns me that there are...