Windows 10: Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements

Discus and support Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next update for Windows 10 is version 21H1 and it has already been finalized ahead of its launch in the first half of next year – but as we’ve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jan 7, 2021.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements

The next update for Windows 10 is version 21H1 and it has already been finalized ahead of its launch in the first half of next year – but as we’ve already reported – version 21H1 update will only be a minor upgrade.

Nevertheless, Microsoft has already started beta testing new features for Windows 10 version 21H2. In the latest preview build, Microsoft is experimenting with a new file system command line-based tool called “DiskUsage”, improvements for Windows Subsystem for Linux and built-in time zones transition experience.

All these improvements are rolling out to the testers in the Windows Insider program and some of these changes could be released to the general public via monthly cumulative updates or feature experience pack.

DiskUsage utility tool

As we reported recently, Microsoft is working on a new file system tool called ‘DiskUsage’, a command line-based tool that will allow you to view and manage disk space usage, and track files using filters.

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements Disk-Usage-tool.jpg

In Build 21286 or newer, this disk analysis tool is now available for everyone. Using the DiskUsage tool, you can scan the specified directory to identify files and folders consuming the excessive amount of space. You can also use the feature to scan a folder, directory/path and drive to get detailed storage information.

WSL can now run commands on start up

Windows 10’s built-in Linux support is now getting support for a new feature that will allow you to run Linux commands on start up of a WSL distribution.

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements WSL.jpg

You can use the startup commands feature by modifying the wsl.conf file. Using start up command support, you can also log the launch time and date for the WSL distro.

Time zones

Microsoft is updating the “Set time zone automatically” feature in Windows 10 to notify users when a time zone change is detected. The notification will allow you to launch the Settings app and explore the new time zones configured by Windows.

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements Windows-Time-Zone.jpg

In some cases, Microsoft will ask you if you would like to update your time zone when you’re travelling and location change is detected.

Storage Spaces Settings

After introducing modern disk management tool, Microsoft is now bringing a new way to manage Storage Spaces from within the Settings app.

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements Modern-Storage-Spaces.jpg

This feature can be accessed from Settings > System > Storage > Storage Spaces.

The post Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jan 7, 2021

2. Windows 10 Time Zone tool?

Tested this once again and did exactly what the steps from above. After booting into Windows it did change to UTC from the list of time zones from the date and time properties.

The actual time however was still Pacific Time. But when I connected to the internet now the clock shows UTC.

I did a command SYSTEMINFO and under Original Install Date it still has the Pacific Time.

So yes, I can confirm that to show the exact correct time you need to connect to the internet or else it will not work. The only changes that do work when not connected is that the correct Time Zone setting (UTC) appeared on the date/time properties after doing the TZUTIL command during install. But the actual time was still reflected on Pacific Time.

win10freak, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements

Windows 10 Time Zone tool?

Is there a tool that can appear to have an option to change the time zone during Windows 10 install?

Creating an answer file is complicated for me, so I need like a GUI configuration tool during the install phase.

Even if I use the TZUTIL command and set the time zone to be UTC, it still sets my time +7 hours ahead from the default zone from Pacific time.

I wish there was a GUI interface which I can place to my bootable usb and have the setup make a graphical user interface to select the time zone just like it was in Windows 7

I wish MS would put back this feature.

win10freak, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements

1. Windows 10 gets a new file system tool, WSL and time zone improvements - Similar Threads - gets file system

2. Time Zone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Time Zone: Hello, the "Set the time zone automatically" is blanked out. How can it be activated?Tomas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone/9b63922a-7a4a-4f9b-99f9-394b7a727372
  3. Time Zone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time Zone: Hello, the "Set the time zone automatically" is blanked out. How can it be activated?Tomas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone/9b63922a-7a4a-4f9b-99f9-394b7a727372
  4. Windows 10 Time Zone is controlled by Outlook Time Zone setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Time Zone is controlled by Outlook Time Zone setting: This is a problem and solution. I noticed my Windows 10 Time Zone was incorrect and any attempt to set the time zone manually through windows settings or in Registry would not hold. It kept reverting back to Eastern when I wanted Mountain. I decided to look at what the...
  5. time zone

time zone: I change the time zone but it keeps going back to the USA one, how do I change it permanently https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone/157a92f4-489d-454c-b7ef-8e125040dcb2
  6. Time Zones

Time Zones: Hi, I recently realized that my computer clock was one hour behind, when I checked the time settings the time zone was central time which is not my time zone but when I changed it to eastern the settings automatically switch back to the central time zone. How can I fix this?...
  7. Time zone

Time zone: How do I change from Central Time Zone to Eastern Time Zone on my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-zone/8ecb8683-8b71-49d5-a3e4-5bb753cae5ea
  8. Windows 10 Time Zone tool?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Time Zone tool?: Is there a tool that can appear to have an option to change the time zone during Windows 10 install? Creating an answer file is complicated for me, so I need like a GUI configuration tool during the install phase. Even if I use the TZUTIL command and set the time zone to be...
  9. Facebook on Windows 10 is getting a new update with improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Facebook on Windows 10 is getting a new update with improvements: Facebook remains committed to the development of its Windows 10 app as today the social media giant has released a new update that adds a couple of improvements. The new version of Facebook’s UWP app is 171.1861.39959.0 and you can download it on your PCs and tablets. For...
  10. Windows 10 is getting new cumulative updates with improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is getting new cumulative updates with improvements: Microsoft has just released new cumulative updates for three different versions of the Windows 10 operating system. The new patch is available for Windows 10 April 2018 Update, Fall Creators Update and Creators Update. It comes with a small list of bug fixes and improvements....