Windows 10: Windows 10 Giving Bogus Anitvirus Turned Off Messages

Discus and support Windows 10 Giving Bogus Anitvirus Turned Off Messages in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I'm using WEBROOT Secure Anywhere and have just started receiving messages in the Windows 10 action center stating that my antivirus and windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gahelm, Mar 2, 2016.

1. gahelm Win User

Windows 10 Giving Bogus Anitvirus Turned Off Messages

I'm using WEBROOT Secure Anywhere and have just started receiving messages in the Windows 10 action center stating that my antivirus and windows defender are both turned off. When I check I can clearly see that WEBROOT is turned ON. I went to the WEBROOT community and can see that many Windows 10 users have suddenly started to receive this message. Anyone here seeing something similar with their AV software? Any ideas how to stop these annoying messages?

:)

gahelm, Mar 2, 2016

2. Windows Defender not turing on

I just upgraded to Windows 10. I was agreeable to run Windows Defender, but when I turn it on along with the spyware protection, it turns itself off. So I uninstalled the virus protection I had, and it still will not remain turned on. I've searched,
    and do not see any other anitvirus program on the computer.

BonnaSchulte, Mar 2, 2016
  3. n97 issue

why do i have to turn off my firewall and anitvirus for?? i'll have to buy another usb cable thou

yoyowolf---01, Mar 2, 2016
  4. bertie11 Win User

Yes, I've been getting this for a few days now. I have posted about this probably on anther thread. Just seen yours!

bertie11, Mar 3, 2016
  5. bertie11 Win User
    I was given this from another forum: Try restarting Windows Management Instrumentation service. I did that about 20 mins ago and so far so good.

bertie11, Mar 3, 2016
  6. gahelm Win User
    Re: Bogus Windows 10 security notifications

Just applied this fix from support.......................

The issue you are having was caused by a Windows Update to their Security Center over the weekend. Webroot SecureAnywhere is on and it is protecting your device despite what Windows Security center is saying.

To resolve the issue, please follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Start button.
    2. In the search bar at the bottom of the Start Menu, type "Services" and click on the result "Services" under Programs.
    3. Scroll down until you find "Security Center" and double-click on it.
    4. In the window that comes up, find "Startup type" and change the selection from "Automatic (Delayed)" to "Automatic."
    5. At the bottom of the window, click "Apply" and then "OK."
    6. Close out of all the windows and restart your computer.

Windows Security Center should now be fixed and displaying the correct information for SecureAnywhere.

Should you have additional questions, please send us a reply in the "Send another message:" section of this page.

Regards,

The Webroot Support Team
    ..........and make yourself a Great Day! Cheers,Lyle

gahelm, Mar 4, 2016
  7. bertie11 Win User
    Thank you gahelm for passing on this fix! Oddly enough, restarting the Windows Management Instrumentation service seems to have fixed it as well as I haven't had any bogus messages for about 10 hours.

But the Webroot fix should be the one to go with and I have implemented it! Thanks again.

bertie11, Mar 4, 2016
  8. bertie11 Win User

Ah. Just had another 'Check Virus Protection notification. So maybe that isn't the fix after all.

bertie11, Mar 4, 2016
  9. gahelm Win User
    As a quick update, mine continues to be "fixed" since applying the change mentioned yesterday.

gahelm, Mar 4, 2016
  10. bertie11 Win User
    No more events since since that last one. Maybe just a one-off!

bertie11, Mar 5, 2016
  11. Phoxiel Win User
    Wow, tested Webroot SecureAnywhere with the latest Windows 10.

Hadn't found any bogus messages. Maybe, I'm lucky after all.

Phoxiel, Mar 5, 2016
  12. nitehawk Win User
    Mines been doing it for more than 1 week , its been going on with that error for 1 n bit months now
    will try fix see what happens

edit , its still happening

nitehawk, Mar 9, 2016
  13. Dugly Win User

Go to Control Panel>System & Security>Security & Maintenance>Change Security & Maintenance Settings
    Gives you the ability to turn off messages for Virus Protection & Spyware and unwanted software protection.

Dugly, Mar 12, 2016
  14. bertie11 Win User
    THat's useful thanks. I used it to turn off Backup reminders.

bertie11, Mar 13, 2016
  15. bertie11 Win User
    Update from me re this problem. It came back again. More investigation. I use(d) Acronis True Image at that time and I wondered what would happen if I turned off Acronis Scheduler, which I did. A week later I had no occurrences of this problem so I removed Acronis and I'm now using Veeam Endpoint Backup. I have had no more trouble with this 'bogus antivirus turned off' message.

Now, I'm not claiming that what I've done will work for everyone but if you are using Acronis it is worth bearing in mind. The other thing about Acronis was this business of rebooting only to be told that 'Operations are in progress, do not turn off computer' which I had had a bellyful of.

Veeam is excellent, I reckon, it's free too!!

bertie11, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Giving Bogus Anitvirus Turned Off Messages - Similar Threads - Giving Bogus Anitvirus

2. Bogus ? Messages from MS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bogus ? Messages from MS: I'm getting multiple messages claiming to be from MS, and asking me to visit "https://aka.ms/alca" - how can I verify whether or not this is a valid MS request? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bogus-messages-from-ms/61f7b90a-8c45-469c-beaf-d84187ed6cc9
  3. anitvirus

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    anitvirus: Unable to download MacAfee to my computer. MacAfee states I have windows S. I do not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/anitvirus/cb7bef8f-682e-4512-9e13-ab331a4b7371
  4. network discovery turned off message

in Windows 10 Customization
    network discovery turned off message: Why would I turn ON network discovery? I am sole user of this computer, connected to nothing except a mouse and a printer...no other computer. Surely the smart tv is not included in network discovery settings? The message suddenly popped up a moment ago so would be pleased...
  5. Detection of Bogus Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Detection of Bogus Windows 10: There are lots of tools offered by the internet where people can get bogus installer for Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/detection-of-bogus-windows-10/8a6cf0f8-db33-4eb4-8f59-10564978920f
  6. Bogus Microsoft messages

Bogus Microsoft messages: Why cannot/does not Windows "DEFENDER" prevent the frequent messages that appear on this computer stating that Microsoft has detected a malfunction and we need to contact the support phone number given immediately. The whole thing almost looks genuine and must fool lots of...
  7. Mcfee anitvirus

Mcfee anitvirus: do you require mcfee antivirus with a new windows pc, or is the inbuilt antivirus with windows 10 sufficient for normal browsing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/mcfee-anitvirus/8015696e-00f9-4442-8912-40343608fffe
  8. Bogus message or valid?

Bogus message or valid?: Do I need to renew Microsoft Office? Subject:Reminder To Renew Your Office !! From:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** To:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** Date:Saturday, July 7, 2018, 9:41:51 AM PDT [IMG] Dear Sir/Ma'am Renew your Microsoft Office...
  9. Turn On or Off Security and Maintenance Messages in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Security and Maintenance Messages in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Security and Maintenance Messages in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Security and Maintenance Messages in Windows 10 By default, Windows will automatically check for security and maintenance problems and send you a message (notification) if...
  10. Turn On or Off Messaging Everywhere in Windows 10 PC and Mobile

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Messaging Everywhere in Windows 10 PC and Mobile: How to: Turn On or Off Messaging Everywhere in Windows 10 PC and Mobile [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build 14327, you can now try out the preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature in Windows 10 that allows you to send and receive text...