Windows 10: Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem

Discus and support Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; After Microsoft started rolling out Windows 10 May 2020 Update, the tech giant claimed that it had found a way to fix Chromium-based browsers RAM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 14, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem

After Microsoft started rolling out Windows 10 May 2020 Update, the tech giant claimed that it had found a way to fix Chromium-based browsers RAM usage. The fix is ‘Segment Heap’, which is now included in Windows 10 and it should help reduce memory usage with some Win32 desktop apps, such as Google Chrome and Edge.

Segment Heap is a technical under the hood improvement whereby the “modern heap implementation” reduces your apps overall memory usage.

In other words, Segment Heap is something that developers need to use in their apps and Microsoft is already using this for its Chromium Edge.

Microsoft’s internal testing has recorded a 27% reduction in memory usage of Edge browser, and you can also expect some improvement in Chrome if Google is able to implement this feature.

Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem Task-Manager.jpg

According to a Chromium commit that we spotted earlier this year, Google was also going to adopt it for Chrome. However, Google later clarified that its RAM-saving fix Microsoft came up won’t be enabled in future versions of Chrome, including version 85.

Google said that Segment Heap did cut down on RAM usage by their browser, but it also ended up causing performance regression, including high CPU usage.

Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem Windows-Task-Manager-usage.jpg

So far, Google has been using .exe manifest method for enabling the segment heap, which does save some memory, but it wastes CPU time.

“The savings most comes from the browser and network processes, while the cost mostly comes from the renderer process,” Google said.

Google’s new testing data suggests that it would be quite easy to use segment heap without performance regression if Microsoft agrees to add a function to Windows that would set or clear the “segment-heap-enabled” bit in RtlpHpHeapFeatures in ntdll.dll.

Code inspection makes it clear that it would also be easy to add flags to HeapCreate and RtlCreateHeap to force-enable or force-disable the segment heap. These methods would work nicely in conjunction with the manifest, which by itself is too inflexible to be a complete solution.

Google’s senior developer has also submitted a formal post on Github seeking Microsoft’s assistance for implementing these two flags:

1. HEAP_ENABLE_SEGMENT_HEAP – create a segment heap instead of an NT heap.
    2. HEAP_DISABLE_SEGMENT_HEAP – create an NT heap instead of a segment heap, even if the segment heap was requested in the application manifest.

“These flags would be useful for all Chromium-based browsers,” Google developer noted.

But does this mean we won’t be getting Google Chrome’s RAM saving update anytime soon? Hopefully not.

Google is still experimenting with Segment Heap and Microsoft could also help Google while it runs more tests. Google will reconsider support for this feature in the future when there’s a way to implement it successfully or Microsoft jumps in with their own fix.

The post Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 and Google chrome problems

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

As you have mentioned that now you rolled back to windows 7 ultimate.I would suggest you to follow the steps given below and check.

Uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome and check

To uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome follow the steps given below.

• Press start button.

• Select Control Panel.

• In Control Panel , Click on
      Programs

• Then Click on Programs and features.

• Select Google Chrome and Click Uninstall button
    Uninstall Chrome prompt dialog appears and the further uninstallation process continues if you click uninstall button. Once Google Chrome gets uninstalled, you can download and install Google Chrome from its official website,
    and check if issue persists.

If issue still didn’t get resolved by the above mentioned steps, I would also suggest you to post the query in Google support forums for more help.

Get help from the Chrome community:
    Google Chrome Help

Hope this helps, if you need further assistance on Windows let us know we will be glad to help.

Ashish Sondhi, Sep 14, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    problem uninstalling google chrome

Hi,

Since you already uninstalled Google Chrome using the Programs and Features, Google notifications may still be running in the background processes. We suggest that you follow these steps on how to end the Google Chrome process:

• On your keyboard, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • Under Processes, locate Google Notifications or Google Chrome.
    • Right click on them and select End Task.
    • Double check under Programs and Features if Google Chrome is completely gone.

Let us know if these steps worked.

Xylee Del, Sep 14, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

Google Chrome not working windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Are you facing any issues with Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer?
    • Is the issue confined to Google Chrome?
    • Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing Google Chrome?
    There could be several reasons for this cause. I would suggest you to try the steps below and check the result.

Uninstall Google Chrome and then re-install

Press Windows key + X and click Programs & Features

Right click Google Chrome and click Uninstall

Re-install Google Chrome and check.

If the issue still persists, please contact the developer of Google Chrome.

Google Chrome Support Forum

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Arul_D, Sep 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Google seeks Microsoft’s help to fix Chrome’s biggest problem - Similar Threads - Google seeks Microsoft’s

2. A problem in google chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A problem in google chrome: Hi and welcome. I have a problem when trying to search anything in google. This problem appeared a week ago, when trying to search for anything in Google, the error message that I will attach below appears. I've tried set the date and time again, I've tried changing wi-fi...
  3. Google still plans to fix Chrome’s biggest problem on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Google still plans to fix Chrome’s biggest problem on Windows 10: Google has been trying to reduce memory usage of Chrome on Windows 10 and Chrome 87 was recently shipped with performance upgrade. Unfortunately, Chrome still eats up a lot of RAM, but Google now claims that it’s working on another very useful change that should reduce...
  4. Problem with Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Google Chrome: When I'm in my email app and click a link, google chrome flashes orange on my task bar showing a tab opened but stays minimized. I'm new to windows 10 and this issue. I have looked at the settings and have yet to fix it, which is frustrating for me since I usually figure it...
  5. Google Chrome problem?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Google Chrome problem?: Since updating to Windows 10 every time I go to a web site a pop up states "do you want this app to make changes to your computer?" It states it's Google Chrome. This has never happened before and how do I make it stop? Thank you!...
  6. google chrome problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    google chrome problem: I have a laptop, about five years old, has Windows 8.11. It recently had a complete power failure. I just got it working again and after booting up I noticed there were websites I couldn't get to; claimed the website was not responding. Amazon, ebay and some others like my...
  7. Google chrome problem.... kindly help

in Browsers and Email
    Google chrome problem.... kindly help: When I open chrome it does not open then I clear all the chrome tasks from the task manager then chrome works a message is also visible which says its regarding some account......*Smile 64097
  8. Windows 10 and Google Chrome help

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 and Google Chrome help: Can someone tell me how to have Google Chrome open Maximized in Windows 10 (PRO)? I have the shortcut set to Maximized an no luck, this is becoming extremely frustrating. Thanks, RH 43917
  9. Google chrome help

in Browsers and Email
    Google chrome help: Hi I have the newest version of Google chrome I keep getting unable to access the network this only happens when using Google chrome. What could be causing this? How can I fix this? Thank you. I have Windows 10 home 64 bit it's not a upgrade it was pre-loaded on my hp...
  10. Google Chrome help

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome help: Hi After updating to the new version 45.02454.85m Google chrome. some of the web site that to go on to I can no longer get the images to load up. Is anyone besides me having this problem? Is there s fixes? Thank you 20668