Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs after 10ish minutes

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs after 10ish minutes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I upgraded from windows 7 pro x64 to Windows 10 pro x64. Since the first time I upgraded, it's all good the first 10ish minutes, and then nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sp00ky, Dec 21, 2015.

1. sp00ky Win User

Windows 10 hangs after 10ish minutes

I upgraded from windows 7 pro x64 to Windows 10 pro x64.
    Since the first time I upgraded, it's all good the first 10ish minutes, and then nothing works.
    If I open a new tab in Edge, that one doesn't load. If I click a link on an existing page, it doesn't load.
    The windows menu shows up when I click it, but I cannot search anything in it.
    If I start a new application, it doesn't start it.
    Win-R does show the command runner, but anything ran there doesn't start (even cmd or notepad) (no matter which app, explorer, notepad, etc...).
    Restart/Hibernate/Shutdown doesn't do anything.
    I have to force reset (hardware button) to be able to use the computer another 10ish minutes before it becomes unusable again.

I tried removing many services/apps at start-up, didn't help.
    Malwarebytes and panda antivirus didn't find anything wrong.
    Repair start-up / system didn't help.

So I performed a clean install of Windows 10 (still pro x64).
    First weeks: all good, no more issues!
    But since a few days ago the exact same pattern is back: unresponsive after 10ish minutes.

Any permanent fix?

:)

sp00ky, Dec 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 reboot hanging

After selecting 'restart' windows 10 hangs at the 'getting windows ready' screen with rotating circle. After 90 minutes....should I turn it off?

Sagelydiva, Dec 21, 2015
  3. Amal Paul Win User
    windows update

my windows 10 update is hangs after downloading it and shows 'preparing for installation' in the past 45 minutes,help me immediately...

Amal Paul, Dec 21, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

This sounds to me like a driver has been updated and then your system hangs when a process starts to use it.

During your 10 mins of activity can you check your reliability history and see if you can identify anything that happened just before the problem started. (Just type reliability in the search bar if you don't know how to get to the view reliability window.) Look for a driver update.

If you can identify any that fit the timeframe, try rolling back the driver and see if it makes a difference.

philc43, Dec 21, 2015
  5. axe0 New Member
    Have you done some driver updating? (NOT via programs!)

6. sp00ky Win User
    I have automatic updates enabled and it seems to have updated some drivers the past few days.
    How do I revert exactly the one that was installed?

For example:

Windows 10 hangs after 10ish minutes [​IMG]

sp00ky, Dec 22, 2015
  7. philc43 Win User
    Hi sp00ky,

Hope you track it down. Rolling back device drivers is done from Device Manager which you can access by right clicking on Start. Once you have found the device select it and view properties. On the Driver tab you can then see details about the driver and Roll Back to an earlier one. If this works you then may need to stop W10 from updating drivers automatically or it will update it again and you are back where you started.

Were there other devices you suspect? I'm not convinced the USB device you highlighted will be the one.

philc43, Dec 22, 2015
  8. sp00ky Win User

I took a more radical approach and restored a previous point from a few days ago.
    That looks fine so far (more than 1hr using it).

sp00ky, Dec 22, 2015
  9. philc43 Win User
    Well done for creating restore points! I wish more people did that. Keep an eye on it because it is likely to come back if our suspicions that Windows is updating a driver are correct. But armed with the information from the previous posts you should be able to track down what is causing it.

philc43, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 hangs after 10ish minutes - Similar Threads - hangs 10ish minutes

2. Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting: Hello all, i recently built a PC for my nephew and it worked great for a fee months. Unfortunately the past week it has not been working at all due to a consistent “hanging” issue. Here is the usual sequence.PC boots fine to the sign in screen. Put in pin and get the desktop....
  3. Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting: Hello all, i recently built a PC for my nephew and it worked great for a fee months. Unfortunately the past week it has not been working at all due to a consistent “hanging” issue. Here is the usual sequence.PC boots fine to the sign in screen. Put in pin and get the desktop....
  4. my computer startet to get BSOD every 10ish minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer startet to get BSOD every 10ish minutes: Before this happened, I enabled Hyper-V and installed BlueStacks. After that, my computer began experiencing BSOD issues and file corruption on my C:\ drive. I attempted to repair Windows using "sfc /scannow" and "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth," but these...
  5. my computer startet to get BSOD every 10ish minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my computer startet to get BSOD every 10ish minutes: Before this happened, I enabled Hyper-V and installed BlueStacks. After that, my computer began experiencing BSOD issues and file corruption on my C:\ drive. I attempted to repair Windows using "sfc /scannow" and "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth," but these...
  6. Once per minute laptop hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Once per minute laptop hangs: Once per minute when system clock second counter is at :00 explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and the computer hangs. The length of time it hangs increases with the length of time the computer is in use. Using graphics programs increases the hang time faster....
  7. Laptop hangs after 10-15 minutes after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop hangs after 10-15 minutes after update: Idk which update it was but after a recent update my laptop has become unusable. It used to run completely fine before the update. After this update, my laptop opens completely silently up until the desktop shows up. After a few minutes in desktop, it makes fan noise delated...
  8. Windows 10 hangs after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hangs after login: On firend's 3-y old laptop happened today something I saw for the first time: There is set autologin and after boot and this autologin desktop shows as usual and I have only few seconds to do something - open menu or settings, get titles of icons in tray but then it stops...
  9. Win 10 machine hangs for 4-5 minutes after reboot (After login)

Win 10 machine hangs for 4-5 minutes after reboot (After login): Hi Team, I have installed a 3rd party backup tool (Licensed) in my machine and after reboot it is taking 4-5 minutes to show the desktop icons in normal. During this 4-5 minutes system is not responding. I have this software installed on couple of machine s but only few...
  10. Laptop freezing/hanging for 10 minutes or so

Laptop freezing/hanging for 10 minutes or so: Hi, I may sound quite dumb for asking a question such as this, but my laptop has been freezing or hanging for the past week for more than 10 minutes, and I have no choice but to hard reboot. It doesn't show black screen, which I think I may be thankful for. I know that...