Windows 10: Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

Discus and support Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sew333, Mar 23, 2021.

1. sew333 Win User

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

Hi my pc:
    108500K stock 4800mhz
    2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP
    Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
    Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
    Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
    1 TB SSD

I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games not crashing all stable.
    My pc is on 24 hours. Today was idle 5-6hours in desktop. After few hours when i go to use pc, i run Google chrome and then all suddenly freezed. I mean i was able to touch/move mouse, but all...

Read more

sew333, Mar 23, 2021

2. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

Yes, I have noticed negative effects on my PC's performance:

-Browsing is slower when I open multiple tabs rapidly. I do this a lot (I research multiple links in online articles).

-My PC gets much hotter, and stays hot--so much hotter that I have to turn it off.

After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the 39% CPU usage screen shot of my Process Manager was when I was doing nothing--no browsing, word processing, etc. Before I took the screen shots, I closed all application programs. My machine was leveled out, as you better describe it (the screen shots were taken 5 minutes after my PC first leveled out). My PC is 39% CPU usage when leveled out; never lower.

Before the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, my PC was 10% CPU usage when it leveled out. And it stayed there.

1 other PC we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (same model as my PC) *HAS* the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem.

2 other PCs we have with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (different brands) DO *NOT* HAVE the 39%-CPU-usage-at-idle problem. They have only 10% CPU usage at idle.

[NOTE I've no software to my PC after the Anniversary Update. My programs, etc. the are same as before.]

Any ideas on what to do to fix my high CPU usage?:
    -use Process Explorer? (how do I use it in this case?)
    -reinstall hardware drivers? (which ones?)
    -suspend certain services? (which ones?)

I've seen comments suggesting each of the above ideas. I need step-by-step instructions (ideally screen shots) for Process Explorer. For drivers & services, which do I try?

Any ideas on the above possible fixes OR better fixes for my high-CPU-at-idle problem? I'd really appreciate them

FuturePerfect, Mar 23, 2021
  3. How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

Sorry for the delay. Saw multiple requests for removing all Dell bloatware (very little bloatware, actually) and removed it. Then, a Windows 10 Cumulative Update (KB3194496) install request came, which I immediately allowed.

Thank you very much for time you took to provide very clear instructions and screen shots for me to use in applying your suggestions to fix my high CPU usage at idle.

Unfortunately, in my case these suggestions had no effect.

-I feel like I must have made an improvement on my PC by removing the ghost devices as you suggested, even though no reduction in idle CPU usage resulted. Because in my case there were over 50 such ghosts! I uninstalled them all, being careful not to uninstall non-greyed-out devices, then restarted my PC. The CPU usage at idle is the same. But great thanks for this suggestion; I'd never seen it before.

-I had already disabled all my Notifications prior to asking for help here, so there was no change.

-I disabled non-essential apps from the Startup tab in Task Manager (mainly Adobe and Java updaters) and rebooted. No change. ***I'd be happy to supply a screen shot of what is still enabled in Startup in case you want it. But all remaining startup apps I use daily and have for years; never give startup problems; have worked with Windows 10 forever.

-Removing the Dell bloatware also did not change my idle CPU usage situation after reboot. I left the Dell Touchpad and Dell Audio apps in because they're the only way to control touchpad and audio--tested drivers with Dell-branding.

-I was actually hoping the KB3194496 Windows Update would solve this high-CPU-usage-at-idle problem, but it didn't.

Thank you again. I really appreciate your help. I hope you can find the time to provide other suggestions, since on my own, I have not been able to find a suggestion that works.

FuturePerfect, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

How fix 4-times-higher CPU usage at idle?

This is good to know. Thank you.
    OK, now I know that the problem is affecting the two Dell XPS 12s you have, whereas the other two computers you listed are not having them, this will help me in diagnosing the problem by narrowing it down.
    After querying the search engines with your particular device specifications and the problem, the first thing I want you to try is deleting any ghost devices in Device Manager. "Ghost devices" can hog system resources and will be greyed out in Device Manager while doing absolutely nothing, and there is no harm in deleting any of them as long as they are greyed out, like this:

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue? [​IMG]

Though this window is for an older Windows installation, yours will be no different, except for the devices listed. Any ghost devices will be grey. In order to see ghost devices in the first place, follow this snippet from Microsoft tech support that I found on Microsoft's help forums:
    After you have done this, proceed with the following instructions:
    After performing these instructions, let me know what your Task Manager is reporting. Or if it didn't work, let me know and I'll dig a little deeper into the problem.

EDIT:
    Make sure when uninstalling ghost devices that you check each dependency tree, like Monitors, Network adapters, Portable Devices, Printers, System Devices, etc. Just make sure you check every tree for greyed out devices. Also, the reason I chose this method of potential fix is because it's not uncommon for ghost devices to cause high CPU, especially since in your Task Manager, the highest CPU using Process is "System" when at idle. Seeing as how none of your other programs are requesting high amounts of CPU usage, this also tells me it's not anything you installed, rather the system itself is busily working on something in the background.

Also, after completing everything listed above, in Task Manager scroll through the Startup tab, right click and disable anything that isn't vital or needed. like software updaters. Keep only bare necessities like sound processes or antivirus handlers. Then finally, restart one more time.

Ten Seconds, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

1. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue? - Similar Threads - hangs long idling

2. Windows 11 automatically shuts down after being idle for long time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 automatically shuts down after being idle for long time: I normally download many stuff at night. I put them in download, and go to sleep. However, when I wake up, the computer has already shut down. When I boot it, the previous state is retained - like all apps that were opened are still opened. But, the download is stopped....
  3. Windows 11 automatically shuts down after being idle for long time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 automatically shuts down after being idle for long time: I normally download many stuff at night. I put them in download, and go to sleep. However, when I wake up, the computer has already shut down. When I boot it, the previous state is retained - like all apps that were opened are still opened. But, the download is stopped....
  4. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 hangs after long time idling - cpu issue?: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games...
  5. Windows 10 hang after long time idle 23 march

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hang after long time idle 23 march: Hi Pc:108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD Drivers 461.72 I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 1 month ago with new pc. So far so...
  6. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games...
  7. Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.: Hi my pc: 108500K stock 4800mhz 2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming 1 TB SSD I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so...
  8. New Win 10 Pro, shutting down after long idle time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Win 10 Pro, shutting down after long idle time: Last week I purchased a new Dell Inspiron 3583 with Windows 10 Home (S). I have removed the "s" restriction and upgraded to Pro. I have set 'sleep' when on A/C power to 'never'. Yet, when it is idle for several hours - like overnight - it appears to be powered off. It...
  9. windows hangs after being idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    windows hangs after being idle: I have created a post before but no help when pc is left idle for a while like 30 minutes then I move cursor it hangs for a while please help in power options hard disk is already set to 0 minutes...
  10. Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time

in Cortana
    Cortana and Edge hanging for a long time: I accidently cut the power to my desktop, and it said that the Bios was corrupted, but recovered using the secondary Bios. At first I couldnt even get into Windows, so I wiped my C drive and reinstalled windows. Once I got into Windows, everything wokred great, except Cortana...