Windows 10: windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

Discus and support windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by malayka_339, Aug 26, 2021.

1. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

please please help me , my computer was just fine but lately it gets stuck on restart or turn off , sometimes it gets alot of time like more than 1 hour , sometimes i have to hard turn it off , i make sure to turn off Wifi before turning it off and i unplug it , please i just need an answer for one question i have , will resetting it fix this issue ? like if i reset it and choose tl delete all the files and settings i've mad fix it ? btw its empty without any added apps besides from the default ones , but i nvr desactivated before windows updates because i always thoughr they're good for the c

:)

malayka_339, Aug 26, 2021
  2. zinou Win User

Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

Enable verbose boot/shtdown

Windows will display the name of the service or program that hangs during the shutdown;

1. open the policy editor => type gpedit.msc in the start menu;
    2. Expand Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates, and then click System.
    3. In the right pane, double-click Display highly detailed status messages;
    4. Click Enabled > OK.
    5. shutdown the computer and check the displayed messages.

windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown [​IMG]

zinou, Aug 26, 2021
  3. Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

No, that's rocket science. I'm posting with 10 already, so the problem was solved two days ago...Thank you.

The Windows 7 shutdown screen simply decided to hang and I finally did a hard shutdown and started it up again, after which it was painless.

required name required as well, Aug 26, 2021
  4. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

Windows hang during restart before shutdown

Hello Joy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

From the description provided, I understand that Windows is unable to restart itself.

To be able to assist you better, let us know the model name of the Gateway laptop you are using.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to consider the following important points.

• Disconnect any external peripheral devices connected to the laptop as certain devices interfere during Windows during the shutdown.
    • Check for the latest updates in Windows 10 which helps the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system.

Go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select
      Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

At times, computers hang or freeze when shutdown process is initiated, and the reason for this freezing nature is that Hybrid Shutdown is enabled by default. In Windows 10, Fast Startup is also known by
    Hybrid Shutdown because it is actually the combination of the shutdown and hibernation in the system.

Try to follow the below steps to disable the option.

• Go to Search, type power options and click on Power Options from search results
    • On the left side of the window click on Choose what the power button does
    • If needed, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable, under
      Define power buttons and turn on password protection
    • From the enabled options under Shutdown settings section, uncheck
      Turn on fast startup (recommended)
      checkbox to disable Hybrid Shutdown.
    • Click Save changes button to save the modified settings.
    • Close Power Options window when done.

Method 2

Boot the computer in safe mode with networking, and check if the issue still persist. This is a diagnostic step towards identifying and isolating causes related to the issue.

Safe Mode With Networking:

Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your computer in a limited state. Only the basic files and drivers necessary to run Windows are started. The words
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using. Please follow the steps outlined in the below Help Article.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows

Once this is done, reboot the computer in normal mode and check.

If the issue does not occur in Safe mode, try to place the computer in a Clean Boot state and check if there are any third party application/software to be causing the issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts during Windows functions (shutdown process in this case).

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Write to with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 26, 2021
Thema:

windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown

1. windows 10 hangs at boot and shutdown - Similar Threads - hangs boot shutdown

2. Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 20h2 hangs on shutdown.: Hello, I have done a clean install of windows 10 20h2 and have download and installed all the updates, the Problem I am facing is when I shutdown my laptop windows 10 say getting windows ready do not turn you computer off, this all that happens windows does not shutdown....
  3. Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 hangs indefinitely on shutdown: Hi, I did a clean install of Windows 10 about 15 days ago for a new computer build. Here are the specs: Windows 10 version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685 CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900XT MB: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB...
  4. Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 randomly hangs at shutdown or reboots: The hanging occurs after everything is closed. Even in the event manager, I can see "Operating System was stopped at xx:xx". When the hangs occurs, the screen is black with no signal, the CPU fan starts to spin faster and faster, meaning the CPU seems to be at 100%. This...
  5. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  6. Windows 10 hangs on boot

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 hangs on boot: My toshiba satellite this morning displayed a diognosing message that continues to run, am guessing I’m locked up. How do I return my laptop to normal operation? Step by step please, startin with how to power up in safe mode, assuming that is a starting point to remedy....
  7. Windows 10 hangs on boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 hangs on boot: My Windows 10 hangs up if I boot up after a shutdown. I have to reboot at least 3 times before I can enter my password. My interim solution to avoid this annoyance has been to NEVER let the machine go to sleep. However if I get a Windows update or experience a power outage, I...
  8. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  9. Windows 10 Boot Hang

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Boot Hang: I start the computer, I see the Asus Splash screen, it goes to the new Windows 10 Load screen with the new flag and the spinning dots..... It freezes. I hit my reset button and it boots fine.... Everytime... why? *Smile 31403
  10. Windows 10 Boot Hang

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Boot Hang: I have a brand new Dell laptop which had Windows 10 installed. After 2 weeks of use, it started hanging on startup. The 5 dots spin in a circle and then freeze. This happens during regular startup, and it also hangs the same way while loading System Maintenance (the automatic...